1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 14month Old Will Not Eat Anything- Help Please

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by PadmalathaK, Jun 29, 2019.

1. PadmalathaK

PadmalathaK Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    I'm a mum of 2 beautiful children - 7year old dd and 1 year old ds. My little boy was born at 38 weeks with a healthy weight 2.95 kilos. Hes exclusively breastfed for 6 months and weaned initially with fruit purees and moved to fruit porridge and home made rice cereals. I had no problem with his feeding up until 3 weeks ago. One day he suddenly decided not to eat any mashed/soft food. I breastfeed him only during night and during day he drinks 500-600 ml formula. I'm completely at loss when it comes to his meal times. If I force him to eat, he cries and spits. On an average he eats 1 or 2 breadsticks. He would not even touch any fruits, ignores and plays with food and not let any of it get into his mouth. I'm very concerned and anxious about his weight gain, hes only 7.5 kilos now and is gaining 260 grams in a month. I spoke to the GP and the health visitor, and they say it is a phase, they will outgrow it.
    Can anyone please suggest me ways to feed him. I'm literally losing sleep thinking about this

Regards,
    Padmalatha

2. Paripoorna

Paripoorna Gold IL'ite

OP, You please start with the solid food. Give him rice porridge, dal khichdi with very little spice. My cousin use to cook the khichdi with some vegetables and used to be very soft so that they can eat it easily. You can also feed him dosa idli etc.

PadmalathaK likes this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, if your GP is Ok, no need to worry or force your kid. I have faced similar situation with my ds when he was of similar age. All he had was milk and peanuts. My GP said, if he is energetic, and not have any health issues, no need to worry. Just offer him whatever food you eat at home to him , no need to go after him with food. My son used to eat well once in a few days..since time peanut butter sandwich. He stopped eating all home made food that time ,except these things. I used to keep small amount of food in a bowl like snack. He used it when he feels like. I tried almost everything thing that time but failed. That's when I took him to GP

Make sure your kid is not dehydrated. He will be fine. It's just a phase.
    My son is doing well now.

PadmalathaK likes this.
  4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

If your doctor is not concerned , I would not worry too much. Kids go through phases , this is normal.
    As far as he is active and not lethargic I would not worry.
    Don’t force feed him, that will have a negative impact in their mind about feeding times.

PadmalathaK likes this.
  5. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Don’t worry. Most of the mom go through this phase. My elder one was not picky eater but second one was n now too. You can try one recipe every day and find out which taste he likes. My kid like sour,so I make tomato chutney for dosa, mixed dhal(dhal mix from store ) add garlic,veggies,tomato n pinch of pepper powder or chili powder n salt. Keep for two whistle n feed him. My son love it. Cure rice with tadka. My son like flavoring,not plain curd rice.pasta with red sauce.

This phase too will pass. Hang in there. My second kid was also picky eater n less in weight. Soon they will change.