Workplace Manipulations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anusha2917, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

This is somehow haunting me and would appreciate your input here if you have been through something similar or a word of advice about my mistake which I'm unable to point out myself in this situation.

I'm into a technical field - structural design and in mid senior level post and so far doing above avg in my career. Last year I worked on a landmark project where I could learn a lot and first time got an opportunity to work on such a project.The project is very huge and generally big construction projects take a few years to to pass the design phase to construction phase . After last year's 60% design phase exactly after a year it came back for 90% phase . Me along with a couple of other engineers were a part of it last year.

Coming to my manager : she never involves technically in the work. Her way of work is delegate all work and let us handle the work independently . Off course she's in the picture but not totally unlike other seniors and she doesn't get involved much to guide us technically . Totally "it's your project your headache attitude ".

When the project came this year it was totally my responsibility and the others who were involved in this last year couldn't be a part of it because they were busy with something else and when it was this project I was the one primarily involved and involved in all the work which the others were doing it last year .

Coming to the issue : A couple of months back a lot of issues were running and it required some complex solutions to be given. Being a first of a kind for me I couldn't give much solution and this manager lady who is hardly involved technically couldn't help either. I struggled but I managed somehow to come up with some ideas . This made the person with whom I co ordinate in the USA for the work think that I'm not able to manage my work well and pointed out that I did not come up with innovative solutions. Also he's the same person who gave good feedback last year about me and I got an opportunity among other engineers to travel to the site in New York City because he applauded my work and initiated hosting me and sponsored my US visit through the project money.

Okay it hurt that he gave a "not so good" feed back this time around but it's fine,rise and fall is common at workplace, I accepted his negative feedback in a positive manner and moved on and continued my work on this .

But because of very personal reasons I decided to take a break from my career and I submitted my resignation too last week which was accepted after much discussion and options with my manager.

But as work is going on issues kept coming in the project and I was working in every possible way to give some solution .
    A blunder (done by other engineer last year )came up which was pointed out to the US counterpart by me .Not that I didn't discuss with my manager here first. It was discussed but she chose to not bother and adviced me to ignore . My engineering practice and honestly did not allow me to do that. This pointing out of blunder made the US counterpart point out how my manager (the lady ) hasn't performed her of duty checking the design and such blunders and further changes in design are not acceptable at this point of time in the project.. Also the blunder was pointed out because they kept asking me justification about change in the design and why the same was not pointed out in 60% design phase and they escalated this blunder to higher authorities in the organization both in India and North America office.

When there was a blame game from their end this manager of mine conveniently took the credit stating that she found that blunder and she was the one who pointed out to me - all this right in front of me in emails with him to save herself.

I know I'm in notice period and will no more be a part of this project and she had to defend to save herself and her job because such blunders in engineering are not acceptable and something fails once construction happens it becomes a black mark for the engineer and the company . But what is hurting me is
    she who asked me to ignore the issue took credit for it. Such manipulation from her is something I'm unable to accept nor point out to anyone higher in the workplace at this point and feel so bad/annoyed about this entire thing.

In my career span I have never faced with any negative feedback by anyone and this manipulation by her is something I am unable to digest.

To what extent should one take such career challenges personally? I'm wondering.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Anusha, I am sorry you are going through this. My experience after having worked for several years is that people seldom take responsibility for their mistakes at work . This is something that has been my biggest peeve. It takes a lot of strength and good work ethics to admit that one faltered , very few people can do that. Your manager is trying to save her back and taking credit for pointing out the blunder is her way of salvaging her mistakes.

Here is what you can do, only if this blame game and finger pointing involves you. Forward the emails where you corresponded with the manager and the ones where you pointed out the mistakes to the relevant people. But If this issue has been resolved and no longer affects you, ignore it.
    Another lesson I learnt over the years, any important professional communication should be in the form of emails , so there is a record that you tried to do your job right.
    If you have to survive in the professional world, be vigilant , alert and aware but also develop a thick skin. Don’t take anyone’s behavior personally. Everyone is trying to save their a** LOL

3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I understand so well, Anusha. I would have also been extremely mad if someone so blatantly took credit especially - given that you had actually found it sometime ago and she had specifically asked you to ignore it. Definitely not a good manager at all.

At this point, I don't think it will serve you much to bring to light the fact that you found it. However, I would state it to my manager tactfully in a 1-1 - just to make sure that she hasn't simply forgotten (give her the benefit of doubt - perhaps it was a long time ago?) that you did bring it up and she asked you to ignore it.

Here is why it might be prudent to let this pass:
    When you join the work force back again - you might need to have some references in your resume. And a direct-report manager is usually one that will be expected in your list of references. When I helped in recruitment in my previous company, I know for a fact that the manager was always contacted (unless the candidate has specifically requested not to call because they haven't revealed that they are in the job market to current company). So I think for your future - don't burn your bridges.

4. Anusha2917

Thank you Manisha . Yes the problem is I don't have mail copies of her saying to ignore this. The lesson is learnt now.
    The guys in US needed a proof to escalate her as he was finding issues with other projects as well and complained that she is not performing QC from her end. And he used my mail to do that because whenever I discussed with him he insisted I put my observation in an email and send him. The issue is sorted and the design change has been accepted but after an ugly turnover of events and I have decided to ignore because I'll no more be a part of the organization and all this happened after I resigned. And I prefer to keep a no conflict relationship with everyone because we never know how the industry would turn and when we will need them in future. So for now even though I'm annoyed I'm choosing to be nice to her and not argue further about anything :)

And your last para is so true. It's a learning experience for me.

SinghManisha and startinganew like this.
  5. Anusha2917

Very true .
    Thanks for this. And this is exactly I have decided to do at this point.

SinghManisha and startinganew like this.
  6. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

I understand how it hurts, at this point you cannot do much. It is always safe to have an email communications on such issues/tasks where you did not agree with the other party(client and colleague). That speaks when you want to defend. Take it as a lesson.
    In many situations, clients can make out who should be given the credit on a task/project based on their interactions with the project people even if a supervisor tries to grab it. So don't take it too hard. Try to keep your good reputation in your organisation while quitting.

7. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Better let it go. People like to ride on others merits often in life. They would easily point a finger if things go sour, but would shamelessly get personal credits for the work done by others. True for both work and personal life. You have learnt a bitter lesson and be more cautious next time. Good luck.