1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Father's Day? And Is It Even Required?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Anusha2917, Jun 16, 2019.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

I think on our birthdays, our parents should be the ones to celebrate any achievement (if at all). They made us 'US' in every single way there us.
    Like I said earlier, things have a way of getting transactional. How about telling your parents, your sibling, your husband, your best friend how much you love them (Valentine's Day celebrating romantic love is only in India).
    You show them how much you love and care every single day - sometimes saying it out/ verbalizing it helps as well. We can be a rebel against Hallmark and Archie's and say we are not giving these American corporations our money. But how about giving a homemade card. Or a homemade meal with favourite dishes. Or making a mixed tape with favourite songs.
    Or maybe I am just corny that way

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha yesterday whatsapp status was filled with Father’s Day messages.

I was about to put the status too and suddenly realised why should everyone know that I love my dad only on this day.

So I just messaged him wishing happy Father’s Day and then I called him to wish again. My dad said wish I go soon to India to visit them. Of course I’m eagerly waiting for it too.

There is no harm in going with the flow.
    Even a simple wish makes our parents happy. When parents see that their friends and other family members are being greeted even they feel that why is my son/daughter not wishing me?
    Just like when we were children, if a friends birthday was celebrated so grandly we would wish the same too.

Honestly my DH doesn’t believe anyone of Valentine/Father/Mother’s day. He always says Valentine’s Day was introduced because rose flowers were getting wasted in tat month so they introduced that to sell those flowers.
    If any month was dull without any sales then such things are introduced to make huge money.

Well coming to old age homes there are many sons/daughters in India who leave their parents at old age homes not just Amreekans.

Only people living abroad knows the pain of not meeting the parents regularly. There are lots of things to deal like visa issues, career and so on...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Anusha,

I agree with you. I really don't see any reason to celebrate any of these days. The difference between celebrating this and say a birthday or anniversary is that on the latter two there is a special personal feel about it, whereas for these generic celebrations, it is an 'everybody ran' event.

I get really tired of seeing endless greetings on whatsapp and facebook and end up feeling obliged to post wishes or at least respond. It is painful having to do that when it does not come from inside. Over and above, it really hurts to miss one's parents so much. Not only mothers' or fathers' day. I have even started hating festivals because they only underline one's loneliness (unless one has a lot of people to celebrate with), make me miss my childhood days when the festival was celebrated with entire family and neighbours.

As for thinking of parents, I certainly think of them every moment of my life and I don't need a special day to remember them.

But then that is me. I am sure many people enjoy all these celebrations and wish them a lot of joy and happiness.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That is super. I love it. But what about camel.
    Thanks.
    Regards.

SpringB and Anusha2917 like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Anusha,
    Personal view is that we should take care and love our parents always. No second thought about it.
    But wishing on Father's or Mother's day .....nothing wrong with it. We follow many new things which were not in our childhood. So if we wish our father on this day and he feels happy over it why not wish him? I never wished my parents on these days and they too never expected. We did not even know the concept of it. But now I feel happy when my children wish.
    So, it is ok to wish. Which father does not feel happy when wished!!!!
    Syamala

6. DhayaShankari

DhayaShankari Bronze IL'ite

The last para tells the bitter truth which is difficult to swallow.

Anusha2917 and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:You developed a whim to write about celebration of F Day. Your mind immediately must first filled with thoughts of your dad young and old, the one taught you to take steps and walked our talk till you reach school college wedding et al. “Dad got you this got you that “ thought at the back of the mind you wrote yourthoughts of and about this celebration the world over.

2. All celebrations of this kind is important for the nation economics business houses and the products sold andbought as gifts by value is substantial and it ultimately helps bread winners who are employed to make or manufacture these gifts

3. Nephew mind filled with pleasant feeling when he bought that kit kat at the same time it gave rise to pleasant feel to seller of chocolate, your dad the receiver of kit kat and pleasant feeling to all those who watch nephew handing over the chocolate to your dad. World if filled with such million pleasant feels.

4. I thought of my dad as a young man, as a man in hurry to office, his ambitions to make an Engineer out of his son, .... and his final days as he approached his centenary. I remember my post of his final moments before commencing his journey to heaven. I am sure you and our followers have read it in link:

Spouse & I With Dad - A Surgical Operation

5. I thought of Vatican Father and His deputies in church all across the globe and the millions of followers wishing their FATHER on this fathers’ day outside and inside church. it is a Sunday their regular prayer day when they pray to their father in heaven and they all turn up to church in their best attire radiating smiles and perfumed fragrance. They call Mother Mary too at this hour of prayer when they pray with their father in church.

6. It depends on Nation and individual whether celebration is extravaganza or ritual or formality. Highly industrialised nation with frenetic economic activities has no time to think daily about their siblings and parents and even their puppies or Orions. So a special day designated or dedicated like Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, sisters day, puppies day, Pomerania day. Etc.,for this purpose. But for this day, there might be no hopes for deserted dads perhaps. Dad’s in old age ashrams or at homes or at hospitals can atleast hope for their wards to come and greet with or without gift.

7. Along with fathers of the world, one would think of father-figures in their life, who had been instrumental in their growth and therefore they must include them too in their celeb.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God - of whom we think or not, but our God-Fathers one can’t afford to forget.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Laks09, Anusha2917 and satchitananda like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I am okay all the hoopla around the father,mother,daughter day etc as long as it just means calling them up and wishing .

I am not the one to write poem on social media.
    If someone expects then they will be disappointed.

My daughters usually reminds us and then I call my mom and dad.

Mom finds it silly and amusing and always giggles.
    Looks like dad is getting into this big time.
    When I call and wish,he always tells me which sibling or their spouse called before me and tells me I get less points.I suspect he sits with the phone in front of him .

My husband refuses to get on the fathers day,mothers day train ....or any other day .

What I find amusing is people wishing there departed parents on facebook.
    Late parents probably don't log on to the facebook ..

Then I feel...whatever gives people happiness...who am I to roll my eyes.I should mind my own business and try to remember to call my people on time.:(

shravs3, SpringB, cheenu123 and 3 others like this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Me too. When we have any excuse, we must celebrate. Moping about with the same routine is not good for anyone.

10. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Post questions on why such celebrations are required... :grin::grin:

beautifullife30 likes this.