1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Learning From The Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

My hopes of this thread responses addressing OP has dwindled as much as my interest to write threads. Please don't consider that as an insult if I don't respond to further communication in this thread unless it is related to original post.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Here is a Question and Answer session with Ramana Maharishi:

Question: The state of samadhi [experience of the Self] has not yet come to me.

Ramana: That state does not come or go. It is our own ever-existing natural state.

Question: Can I take up the mental attitude "I am Brahman [Reality] ?"

Ramana: If you assume "I am Brahman" you will receive many blows. Why? Because everything is already Brahman. Why should it be assumed? Is it necessary to assume "I am a man?" If the thought "I am the body" is there, then it is necessary to assume, "No, I am not that."

Question: Is the appearance of the differentiated universe true or untrue?

Ramana: It depends on how we regard the terms true and untrue. If we look at Brahman, there is no universe.

Question: Then why does the universe appear?

Ramana: Appear to whom? The universe does not say "I am." Is there any evidence to say that the universe appears? To whom does the universe appear?

Question: To me.

Ramana: Who are you? Find out who you are. Then afterwards tell me if there is a universe.

Question: Because I have a wife and children I have many problems. I cannot escape from them.

Ramana: The outer mundane activities cannot do anything to you. Only the inner mundane activities must be given up.

Question: This only lasts for five minutes. Then it gets changed.

Ramana: [after keeping quiet for some time] This kind of thought must go. One can attain the bliss of Reality only when the mind becomes pure and humble, like a child's.

3. Viswamitra

4. Viswamitra

5. Viswamitra

6. Viswamitra

7. Viswamitra

The above videos and posts are not the sources of my thread but I researched to see whether there are good answers to genuine questions asked by a poster. These posts and videos confirmed some of what I said in my OP.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My kids are mindfulness gurus. : ) They are naturally present-focused, not allowing thoughts of yesterday and tomorrow adulterate the purity of now. I think I am most captivated by their capacity to live moment by moment, experiencing emotions with their full intensity without any attempt at suppression; then the very next moment letting go and moving on. You fall down, scrape your knee, bawl your eyes out and run around smiling 10 minutes later. Such a delightfully unencumbered approach to day to day unpleasantness. I get honked at nastily by some angry driver or meet a grumpy cashier at Safeway and I spend hours reliving the encounter and seething. Kids don't let trivialities ruin their day. One time I was writing in my journal, working on my weekly and monthly plans, getting frustrated by the endless to-dos and future engagements, and I muttered aloud, "What is today?" thinking of the day of the week. My daughter who was playing on the floor beside me, put her chubby little hands out in mock exasperation. "Mommy, today is today", she said with smug satisfaction. Her words made such an impression on me that they have become a mindfulness mantra of sorts. When I find myself worrying I repeat under my breath 'Today is today'. I have it written on a Post It note stuck on my work machine. Right here right now is where my attention is needed. Of course the little monkey didn't mean it profoundly but she embodies the philosophy without knowing it has a name. Even if inadvertently there is always something to be learned by observing our children. One can't always take a childlike approach to the adult world but where it is possible one should. Makes life a lot more pleasant.

9. Viswamitra

@Gauri03

What a response from you that relates so well with my original post! They are indeed mindfulness gurus. "Today is today" is a quote I will never forget the rest of my life. The beauty of learning from the children's action is, it is not a lecture in the school or at work. The children have the attitude to wake up with excitement everyday. Every little thing in life, they relish so much. A simple hug and a kiss means a world to them. Their innocent questions bring life into our dull days. Their simplicity is enjoyable.

When I attended the retreat a few days back, I sat down on the ground and told a little girl 4-5 years old who was smiling continuously, "You are so cute when you smile" and she replied, "Thank you and I am always happy". "Why are you always happy" I asked, and she replied, "I don't know". To develop further conversation, I asked, "Do you like Rama or Krishna?" and she never stopped smiling and answered, "I like Krishna because he had a lot of fun as a child". I learned more philosophy in this conversation than attending a seminar. I really don't need any reason to be happy as it could be my status always.

10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Trademark this asap. I kid you not.
    I see t-shirts, mugs, and refrigerator magnets in your future.
    Perhaps hairclips, headbands, socks, notebooks, and other gear as well.
    Delivered with the story above in Palmerian cursive on a nice little card, I think your daughter might have just paid her own way through Harvard.
    :beer-toast1:

KashmirFlower, Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.