1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

From The Troubles And Misfortunes Of Others

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, May 29, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Comes with time and when life has given more events to draw tally marks for. : ) Events that happen and that don't.

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  2. Rihana

Nice synopsis, startinganew. I also like the use of the word "relief" in this context.

Thyagarajan and startinganew like this.
  3. Rihana

Darn you, Amulet : ) Now I cannot dish out one of my favorite quotes: If we all threw our troubles in a pile, we'd rush to grab back ours. Hadn't related that quote to this question before reading your post.

That I will have to agree. After reading some of the stories I have read in Relationship, I used to feel like going down on my knees and thanking the Lord for the sheer randomness of good fortune.

Not taking sadistic pleasure, but benefiting in some way nonetheless...

Hmmm.. This is clearer for me. A person dies, has himself willed that his organs be donated, and that wish is carried out. Others in the queue being unavailable... yes, it gets hazy here.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Rihana

Deep thoughts included how is this different from schadenfreude... avoided that so the discussion remains more general.
    The question is about methods employed to tackle the challenge. While doing the above: facing the challenge, overcoming it, learning from it... is it OK to compare with the suffering of others.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

It looks like there are three viewpoints in this discussion:

Camp A: This is a common and natural coping methodology. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't mean any harm to (or derive any form of pleasure) from the person facing the adversity.

Camp B: This is a common coping strategy. I use it but it makes me feel guilty.

Camp C: This is not a good coping strategy. There are other ways to handle the portion of adversity meted out to each of us.

I am in Camp B. The fact that I am disturbed for using this strategy is reason enough for me to ponder further or poke at it.

Yes, in different important aspects of my life: health, familial relations, work, personal fulfillment, etc - just because I am aware of someone else going through harder times (because of the nature of the issue or because of an IL like forum where we reveal our vulnerabilities a bit more easily), say I am able to rise up above the issue. But what happens if I hit rock bottom in one of these or a hard combination of these? What if my problem is truly one that is deeper and harder than anyone I know or anything i've heard of? Can I then rise up? Or will I throw up my hands and be too overwhelmed to overcome it ? Maybe when my challenges are smaller I should practice the rewiring of my thought processes - so that I am prepared with the right coping mechanisms for anything life could throw at me ?

Thanks to this thread, I hope to work to getting into Camp C.

6. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Whoa, my friend! Proof by contradiction. This got me in. Excellent perspective to make us really think. :worship2:

Amica and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Rihana

I've come to think that one's "rock bottom" is like the poverty line. Just like the poverty line keeps going up no matter how much those below it try to rise above it, one never really hits one's real rock bottom. When life deals the unthinkable, it also replenishes our reserves with unthinkable levels of resilience.

Jaan hai tho jahaan hai. If one is alive, then there's the world.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Rihana,

This post of yours hit a note in me. I was thinking, indeed I had been in the boat saying 'at least' and counting my blessings many times. Over the years, it has reduced a lot though still, I do at times. But, due to whatever I went through in my life, now whenever I experience a blissfulness/happiness/success I always surrender myself to God saying my pranams and then think what should I do to make another person happy or how should I help another one and implement that. In that way, I am trying to keep the balance.

Thank you so much for this thought-provoking post.
    Vani

Rihana likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

The ideal operating part in every individual is what you claim to do in your above quoted FB. I too am sailing I the same boat.
    Thanks to OP @Rihana for this brain storming session.
    Regards.
    God has not created stress strain and ordeals which are essentially manmade or woman made.

Rihana likes this.
  10. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

:blush::hearteyes: I can always relate to your viewpoints. I'll feel a little spark in my head and you'd have gone on to articulate it and analyze it so well.

I thought so much before adding the link to Schadenfreude - as to there is no way @Rihana didn't think this was close. But it is different and that is why you kept it aside. :grinning:

Rihana likes this.