1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disclosing How Old You Are On An Internet Forum....

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Amulet, May 5, 2019.

1. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

AGE IS JUST A NUMBER . Is it an important parameter to write on IL or in any anonymous forum ?:) Guessing makes it interesting...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Anusha2917, shravs3 and Amulet like this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would be forever 21 in that case......:tonguewink:

yellowmango and Amulet like this.
  3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

For some reason, My real name with DOB is alover internet, along with address.
    It happened last year.
    I have to take time, sit down and clean it up. Not sure how websites have it.

I like to be anonymous on IL, but when giving advice- I think age is very important. Things change so much with the age/ phase of life for women- no so much for man.
    We have to throw random hints and also ask for the age group of poster.

Someone who is 21 is totally different than someone who is 31 or 41...Ageism

startinganew and Amulet like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Just being older isn't enough to qualify one to dish out advice. Girls who are chockful of regrets, and turned cynical couldn't be good coaches for others. The few who had aged well*, and been around the proverbial block, might be more useful advisers, if they can be coaxed to give out some.

*like spirits :sweatsmile:?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    yellowmango likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

6. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

We write what we want and people read what they want and understand what they want.
    It is given that each step has a filter, that is very unique to each individual executing it.
    Once in awhile, chance strikes, and the filters align and someone is really helped!
    Who are we to say, who gives better advice?
    It is all the probability and chance and filters!
    Just being around the proverbial block doesn’t guarantee the right filters on the person reading your advice.
    Just being cynical doesn’t guarantee bad advice, either!

Amulet and Afresh like this.
  7. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

I am just thinking about it! Why would anyone bother to know my age in an anonymous forum? What are they going to gain or what am I going to lose? Perhaps as some people told above, to maintain my anonymity in this forum or elsewhere.

Another confusion about age- is it about the chronological age or the age about how one feels so? In real life I wouldn’t mind telling my age out but online I wouldn’t tell anyone. It’s a virtual forum but with its own drawbacks. So maintaining my real identity is of paramount importance to me and therefore it includes non revelation of my chronological age.

Whatever my chronological age be, I wish that I always remain young at heart!

Amulet likes this.
  8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I don’t understand why revealing one’s age is detrimental.

My first foray to Internet was when I started my graduate school in US. In these 16 years of online interactions with strangers, I have seen that many people are transparent about their lives but almost equal amount of people lie on their age and accomplishments, those are the people who crave for anonymity and privacy as some times truth is not as colorful as the fiction. People who are transparent and do not embellish their achievements or sufferings usually aren’t obsessed about privacy very much as what they share and what they undergo in real life is not that different. @iyerviji , @Thyagarajan, @Viswamitra, @Srama , @GeetaKashyap , @jayasala42, @satchitananda, @Cheeniya, etc are prime examples of that. I have shared my age, my wife’s age etc openly as there is nothing to gain by showing we are younger than what we are.

9. khushi2233

khushi2233 Bronze IL'ite

i proudly tell my age to everyone--it is what it is- whats the big deal

Vaikuntha and Greenbay like this.