What Are My Options?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, May 22, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I Used to work as a data entry clerk and later on worked in Human Resources before kids..At that time life was flexible and even traveling long distance for meagre salary was okay.

SOME OF the problems am facing now..

1) HUBBY WORk place is almost an hour and more distance to and fro and he returns late.hence entire responsibility of housework and other misc things are mine which honestly I don’t mind plus weekends he gives me day off and helps takes care of kids and also helps at home but he can only help weekends.

2) am not able to find a job near my place.even then,driving far for a job and coming back for a meagre salary and that too full time makes less sense with a small kid.

3) am not able to find a part time job until now.

What are the options for moms who are almost 40,who are not into IT?

2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

How important is this job for you, financially?
    Are you planning to have a long term career or going to work just because you are bored sitting at home ?
    Do you have any dream job - For example - talking in terms of the industry I work in , IT, I was a developer first , for almost 6 years and decided to take up a job that gives me a career path and good pay and does not require me to study regularly to keep my job, like I did in development field - now I am a BA aspiring to lead a Product in my organisation. This was my dream job.

Like that - do you have any criteria and goals? Does you current job align with your goals?
    How passionate are you in achieving your goals?
    How flexible are you in taking up jobs that lead you to your goals, though with lesser pay to begin with?
    As I said I wanted to be a business analyst - so to get an idea on how to talk to the customers and how to have the stakeholder engagement skill - I started working in Application support role (meagre salary and work in odd shifts for almost 2 years) which gave me an opportunity to work closely with customers, business analysts, Product owner and dev team.
    I made some Business analyst friends to get an idea of what the role demands.
    I used to talk to other developers in my friends circle to understand how BAs work in their organisations and what makes a good BA for the developers, testers and managers alike.

Like that what options you have in your field? Do you have any friends who work in your industry or an industry that is a competitor to yours? Can you leverage your experience in any other way?

Because you said you do not have many opportunities close to home, what is your plan B?

Thinking on those lines will help ! Am sorry I cannot help beyond this, being unknown of the industry/sector you work in.

But as a fellow ILite I would like to suggest you something. I did all that stated above, being a mum of two kids and having just moved to a new city. Just like you, my off time was weekends and I still used to do EVERYTHING during the week.
    Don't let kids stop you from achieving your goals. Use kids as a reason not as an excuse.
    Kids are very very resilient and will adjust to your job demands astonishingly well.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Vedhavalli, shravs3, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I don’t have financial constraints nor am bored.Infact I do not mind being a housewife but now I am getting some peer pressure from acquaintances,relatives etc..

Honestly,I never have used kids as a reason though in many cases I have personally seen that also has been a reason for many to quit their job and their reasons were right for their life.
    I have always mentioned that me being a at home is my choice bluntly but it comes With lot of brickbats lol

At the same time..I really do not mind starting a career which could also chanalize my life differently.

However,the motivation to go for a full time job with a child and no help just for a very small salary is not there.If I was in IT and getting a 60k minimum..then it makes sense as that money can be put to use for kids tuitions and daycare and also save.I won’t have anything in hand with what I will be getting.

I am also going to be 40 soon and with my background I know I can’t except a big job and that’s not a problem.

I just want to start with something reasonable so I won’t feel discouraged.

For eg:If I get a part time job nearby,I will surely go as it won’t hinder with the balance of life and even with small
    Money I will feel Fulfilled and even in the future once kids grows up..I can use that experience and try for full time.

With no salary,no balance of life,just for peer pressure right now going for full time is stressing me.

Hence,want to know if there are some options now so that I can get to full time
    Later on.

sbonigala likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I did work full time like 10am to 7 pm
    Before kids for small salary.I was fine but with a child,other responsibilities working for a small salary for so many hours is not motivating when am
    Not really career oriented which I may say so.

I just want to start part time but not getting any as of now.Will wait for sometime else I think I have to suck it up and do what needs to Be done.

Sometimes I feel encouraging like how you are doing is a good thing:) I like that .Thank you:)

Also,If I may share this it’s not about not working BUT I want to do something which I have passion in.

I was always passionate about being a dietician but unfortunately I don’t have a science background or the prerequisites needed.Plus it involves lot of time and 4 years education.

I never knew about all this before.If it is something I love..I will literally stay in the office 24/7 even for no salary:)

Am just trying to see what I can do..

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    sbonigala likes this.
  5. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anika, which industry are you in?

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I studied BA economics.

worked as a data entry clerk and then
    Worked as an HR admin

7. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

@anika987

I'm not sure how to PM you. Earlier this site had that feature. See if you can PM me.

anika987 likes this.
  8. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

I would advice to focus on studying technology which will give u IT job. After little struggle u may get wfh options. Never feel u r 40 or old at all. Here people goto college after 40. Try to do certification, talk to recruiters or friends who r in software

anika987 and sbonigala like this.
  9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anika,

Which country do you live in? I am assuming the US. Correct me if I’m wrong. Have you considered being a substitute teacher? Or something related to schools? That would keep you local and with a flexible schedule. Y