Mind Over Matter: The Meditation Club

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That’s all entails in association that one keeps!
    Thanks and Regards.
    God helps mind to remember by association!

Sweety2016 and Gauri03 like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:Agreed.
    Speed of mind is comparable to speed of light in vacuum.
    God is light and simultaneously Dark!

3. Thyagarajan

:hello: The poem speaks of one’s Alter Ego. Thought provoking.
    Thanks and Regards.

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:Yes. I agree.
    2. Re: Rogue thoughts - to expel them
    I simply shift the focus to sea shore in the morning watching raising sun in ochre or orange with back drop of Lord emerging tall from depths of calm sea . Such vicarious NATURE thoughts enough to shift mind from thinking OF UNDESIRABLE THOUGHTS.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God has filled around and within us happiness but to recognise one has to put in effort.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Gauri03 likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:I read this notes three four times. Very interesting to investigate hoe thoughts enter the mind that make or mar the moment or the day even. Ok a thought enteredthe brain. Hoe it get translated into action or leading to other thoughts. That is done by synchronisation of neutrons and that in turn create neural paths for action. But how one thought leads to associate with some other thoughts? Mind boggling. That is where it acts monkey.
    Without expecting anything simply sitting in wait at temple premises, I used to experience great calmness of mind. When after sometime come out of prescint, I wonder the calmness vanishes at the sight of numerous things such as objects, people, animals,traffic etc.,
    This is symbolically expressed in the Siva temple, where NANDHI is waiting without demanding or wishing anything for itself.
    The fundamental difference between Prayer & Meditation is that -

Prayer means you are trying to talk to God.

Meditation means you are willing to listen to God.

You are willing to just listen to existence, to the ultimate nature of creation.

You have nothing to say, you simply listen.

That is the quality of Nandi – he just sits, alert, not sleepy.

He is not sitting passively.

He is very active, full of alertness, full of life, but just being

that is Meditation!

Thanks and Regards.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Sweety2016,

I really enjoyed your informative post in #339. You have done a great work of not only analyzing how thoughts come into existence and how it is executed in the brain. If you have not watched the video of Jill Balty Taylor Ted talk, you must watch it and I am providing the link

I have also provided #74 (Page 8) an index of what all I have written about the mind and its mystery. In all, they are more than 80 threads. At random, pick up some of them and read and you may find them interesting. I have written more after I created this including the latest titled "Spiritual Molecule" in Education & Personal Growth but not included them in the index.

Viswa

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

YouTube has hundreds of CBT videos. I can't recommend any since I haven't used them myself. Here are some that might help,

Some more here: Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) Videos

If you can put in the time then I recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-Handbook-David-Burns/dp/0452281326 It is a comprehensive manual complete with exercises and self assessment keys. I found it quite helpful.

The author of that book Dr David Burns also hosts a podcast which goes over CBT techniques and sometimes he performs live therapy with a patient. I listen to it once in a while. See if you find it useful: Feeling Good Podcast | Feeling Good There are a whole bunch of CBT resources on that website. Do check them out.

HTH!

Sweety2016, Thyagarajan and kaniths like this.
  8. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Sweety. Couldn't agree more with your conclusion. The brain interprets reality for us using an algorithm. i.e., a neuronal architecture created by our experiences, education, and childhood conditioning. If you change the algorithm you change how you interpret reality. When we focus on the positives we are training our brain to prioritize good experiences over negative ones. This phenomenon is called neuroplasticity, the ability of the brain to rewire itself by strengthening desirable pathways via repeated excitation. Feel free to use this thread to share your thoughts and discoveries as you read more. We will all benefit from it. : )

9. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

@Gauri03

Will watch those two videos and give you a feedback

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

@Thyagarajan it was wonderful to read about nandi bhagwaan...never knew the rich wisdom associated with him. I am also not able to visualize how one thought leads to another swiftly, sometimes they are not even related remotely. Should there be some algorithm associated with it or is it pure randomness? This might be the reason why we are still under progress when it comes to development of robots with the intelligence level of human beings. As a layman, I feel may be a doctor should work along with an AI engineer to understand the mapping or devise ways to control the mapping in the brain so that we can control our thoughts and allow only the beneficial ones to propagate!!

The more I read about the human body, the more fascinated I become. One thing I understood is, I think, whatever knowledge we have acquired about anything, be it the massive macroscopic universe or the microscopic sub atomic particles or the dimensions of the human perception, it has great resemblance with the functioning of the human body. For instance,

the number of neurons in the brain is compared with the number of stars in the universe, we talk in billions!

The size of human cell is of the order of few microns that is comparable to the size of few molecules together!

the electrical signals transmitted( i. e movement of electrons (sub atomic particle) )between the neurons can be compared with an electromagnetic wave.

Sensory organs can be compared to various sensors we use in our day to day lives like thermostat, a temperature measuring sensor analogous to skin, infra red sensor that measures motion analogous to eyes

Heart is the pump we use everywhere both for domestic and industrial purposes whereas pipes for transportation is the arteries and viens, blood and plasma is the fluid to be transported and infinite such analogies...

When we try to interconnect, there is analogy in everything and everywhere...

Gauri03, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.