1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Good Is Pediasure For Kids?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Ammu2886, May 20, 2019.

1. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Dear moms,

Have you tried pediasure for your kids? How good is this and whats your opinion on this ?

2. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

@Ammu2886 not sure if you remember me. We were in the same month due date group. How are you and your little boy?
    Coming to your question-
    1) why do you want to start pediasure?
    2) Is he behind in his growth chart? Or was there a sudden drop?
    3) Did you talk about this to your pediatrician?

My opinion is unless pediatrician recommends it considering if he is behind and really needs it, I wouldn’t give it. We asked our pediatrician about this at the last check up and she was strongly against it, when we had no clue about it. Our doctor recommended just the full fat whole milk and nothing beyond it. We don’t even add sugar to it.

Just found a blog post which I thought will be useful
    Guest Post: Is There a Natural Alternative to PediaSure®?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Pediasure has lot of sugar. May be the sugar has to be added because it is so synthetic and density of vitamins and minerals etc is very is high. It is not refrigerated in store, it is self stable. I do not trust liquids that are edible and self stable.
    Please check with doctor. If child can eat with a lot of work from your side, then also don't give Pediasure.

4. nolucklife

nolucklife Senior IL'ite

Pediasure both powder form or drink has lot of sugars.If your kid is above 1 year give him/her full cat milk no sugar added which is more healthy than anything else.

5. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Hello @Sansa,
    Yes we both were from the same due date clubs..
    How are you and your DD?
    My DS is doing good....

1) why do you want to start pediasure?
    DS is a very pricky eater..I have no idea how to make him eat and I tried all the ways..I felt pediasure can give him the essential nutrients and vitamins required for his growth but again somewhere I feel I should not go with it.
    2)Is he behind in his growth chart? Or was there a sudden drop?
    He looks very skinny and 11kg at 23 months .He is very active and achieved all milestones
    3)Did you talk about this to your pediatrician
    Yes I did..But I myself asked the pediatrician and he said until he is active nothing is needed.

My worry is he does not eat properly and just wanted to ensure that he gets the proper vitals for his growth.

6. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Many south asian children are picky eater.
    My guess is that first borns have all attention and if they also breadtfed after first birthday, they tend to be picky eater. Just a thought. May not be true.
    If you are bf, you take vit D, multivit etc for good bf. In this case also the kid is getting nutrition through you.

Ammu2886 likes this.
  7. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

He is exactly similar to my Daughter’s weight and she is in 50 percentile. That’s not bad at all. They are growing in height wise and remember children don’t starve. Stop going behind them and they will start eating. Eating should never be a battle. Just make sure you are providing him healthy food with good fats. He will come around when he is hungry. See if he is full because of liquid foods and snacks. Have a scheduled meal time and please eat with him as a family. Make it a family meals. My kid eats better if we all sit together.
    All I can say is don’t feel guilty just because someone said your son is skinny. As song as he is healthy I would just ignore. Say if he is chubby and around 5 years, ppl will start giving health advices regarding obesity and everything. So pick your battles. Ppl are gonna advice no matter what.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    shravs3, Ammu2886, pumpkin01 and 2 others like this.
  8. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

I gave my dd2 pediasure on recommendation by a pediatrician. My daughter was underweight but had no deficiencies, was active and healthy otherwise. She drank pediasure as recommended by the doctor couple of scoops in warm water, twice a day. Even after 8 months or so of drinking it, her weight did not improve. I eventually stopped it as it didn't seem very useful in our case.
    My daughter ate most fruits and vegetables and had a varied diet. But the quantities she consumed seemed a bit less. I was not worried since she was very active.

I think if your child eats a varied diet, just increase calories my adding healthy fats like butter, nut butters etc to regular food. Body absorbs normal whole food better than nutrition from supplements.

Ammu2886 and Vaikuntha like this.
  9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

I give to my kid pediasure since he was 2.5 years as my pediatrician recommended. He's underweight . If your pediatrician recommend then it's up to you to go for it or not. In my case pediasure helps him

Ammu2886 likes this.
  10. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

You cannot make decisions based on your worry. If your doctor doesn't recommend then please don't use it. Pediasure has its place in medical community. It is not for picky eaters .