1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Requiem

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, May 9, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Without some highlights to mark the cadence, your comment can be taken as quite complimentary or loaded with derision.
    Their brand logo looks like a worm on the move.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

True. It calls for a change of attitude, behaviour and character, but I don't see it as too easy to do, because the people who contribute to building up character in the younger generations share the undesirable attitudes themselves. So I can't even start to imagine how many generations or decades it will take.

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. satchitananda

I love that expression, Amulet! There is nothing more fun than to coin new words of one's own. :laughing: They may have 1000s of apps for folks looking for a counterpart, but I strongly object to receiving such unwelcome chats on my games. They seem to be too mixed up in their heads about the purpose of the game.

Amulet likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Many women born before 1960 would have experienced the'the girl viewing ceremony'with or without positive results, but surely with bajji, and sojji.Even in puranas and epics we have some form of this ritual.
    During Sita's swayamvar, importance was on breaking Shiva Dhanus.
    Valmiki Ramayan does not speak of girl-viewing.
    When Kamban wrote Ramayan in Tamil, he conveys his modern out look.The famous lines are'Annalum nokkinaan, Avalum nokkinaal"( Rama saw Sita and she also saw him with exchange of glances"
    Draupathi's swayamvar resulted in chaos.The simultaneous swayamvar of three women in Mahabharat struck the death knell for Bhishma.Rukmini's marriage is more or less eloping with Krishna after writing a love letter in chaste Sanskrit to Krishna and sending it thro a 'brahmin' courier.
    While we talk of the plight of girls being rejected in 'girl viewing ceremony under some pretext,,We learn from Kalidasa ,the embarassment felt by men while being rejected by the princess.
    In Raghuvamsam Kalidasa describes"As Indumathi passes each prince,his face shines and gets lighted up with the hope that he would be chosen as the bridegroom.As she crosses,his face is plunged in darkness just as a house becomes dark as the bright light of a procession moves on"The shattered mind of the prince is beautifully described by Kalidasa.
    Undoubtedly the respectable Swayamvara was the forerunner for the'bride seeing' ritual.,though the tradition and practice might have changed, and the meeting takes place at home,in restaurants or 'coffe day'.
    Swayam varas lasted till the royal rule continued.Now educated girls are in high demand and boys are waiting for simple'ok' from any girl.
    The stalking, acid throwing incidents raise lot of concerns- an ugly reminiscence of the patriarchal mind set of uncultured men.

But there will be some procedure until all the parents and the entire society decide to leave the matter entirely to the discretion of the boy and girl without worrying about 'positive' or'negative' outcome leaving everything to karma.
    There is one observation.Even modern girls who have moved with the boy, talked to him on many occasions, feel some inward thrill on this 'bride seeing' ritual.They seem to enjoy all the fun,the tension of girl's parents, the gossip from the neighbours about match/ mis match etc etc.
    somebody jocularly remarked that kesari ends with 'sari'( meaning 'yes' in Tamil( making the groom 'yes man for ever.

As long as the parents have something to say, or the children want the parents to say'yes'to what they propose,the ritual will continue in different forms for centuries.
    Jayasala 42

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

That made me wonder about countries where arranged marriages, and pelli-choppulu of some kind happens. Someone in quora had this to say:

Arranged marriages are common in India, Pakistan, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Japan, Cambodia, China, Israel, Niger, Mali, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Nigeria, Tanzania, Morocco and few other African and Latin American countries.

It is common amongst NR Indians in various countries like America, Norway, Australia, Malaysia and in UK.
    So the scheme is still breathing, and kicking:hmmm:. Too early for a requiem.

satchitananda likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

If I write what is in my head, it would be really bad. All I can say is to replace the English word uncle into Tamil and imagine the list of professionals who are referred to with that name.

7. satchitananda

My basic point is to say that men these days are going to any extent to find women online - whether it be out a of genuine desire to find a partner or just to seek some cheap thrills. What is annoying is that they don't have the sense to go through normal channels like dating sites and they keep harassing women who are playing online games. What is shocking is that all of them uniformly start with 'hi'. The next question is 'how are doing today?" as if they knew how you were doing yesterday. That is followed by "where do you live", "are you married?", "do you have kids?", if you don't have any "Why not?" There are hundreds of ways to deal with such sorts of pests depending on whether one is in the mood to block them, be rude to them, ask them why they are so curious ...... But it does make me wonder. Is there no subtlety left when approaching a woman? No casual conversation? Such blatant curiousity and intrusiveness? Do they really think there are going to be many women falling for that? May be there are. What do I know? But it certainly comes as a shock and gives one an insight why there are so many relationship problems all over the world.

8. satchitananda

Amulet, the requiem was to decency, courtesy, niceties etc.

Amulet likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Sats
    Is this a serious post or humor post?
    This morning I was ready to post something humorous, saw all the serious responses and backed off.
    Can you help me, please?

Cheeniya and satchitananda like this.
  10. satchitananda

Kamala, it was an observation which has often left me fuming till I saw the funny side of it yesterday. My basic reason of writing this was to point out how young men these days have no clue about how to communicate with strange women. It makes one feel they have never been taught any social niceties.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    kkrish likes this.