What Motivates People To Join Il & What Forces Them To Leave?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by kcb, May 6, 2019.

1. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

I do have the same question as OP. Why would one choose to quit an ID after earning hundreds of trophies point?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. rgz

rgz Gold IL'ite

Will be good to read, re-read and imprint the above clearly. Golden words.

Thyagarajan, Afresh and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

As I mentioned earlier, am not at all worried about people who leave IL, as I am sure they will come back soon with a new ID :wink: dear @rgz

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. rgz

rgz Gold IL'ite

@kcb I was not referring to entry and exit , you are right abt that. Your post was about “hurt” and that is exactly what was addressed by the Golden words of the two posters above. Thanks.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Reading this blog and the comments of the readers, I think most of them have failed to recognise the problem, or are in a state of denial that there exists a problem. The problem is not the conferring of awards to people in recognition of their talented write-ups, but the problem is about the neutrality of the judge.

As Geeta di has mentioned me in the PMs, I am in total agreement with her about the biased judgements of the so-called judge. She is heavily biased towards the family! Having said that, I must add that I have nothing personal against them. In fact, I think they are amazingly good people with big-hearts. But, that does not mean that you have to show partiality towards them.

So, the real problem is the judge. I think it will be better to replace her with a more neutral judge.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Mistt likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@kcb

Your first question is easier to answer. People join IL because they feel very welcome and feel they are part of the family.

Why they leave? Various reasons:

1) Tight schedule and unable to contribute
    2) Self discipline to avoid spending more time on a social media site
    3) Heated exchanges with fellow ILites resulting in getting upset
    4) Excessive self-praise pumped up by the encouragement received from fellow ILites resulting in expectation of titles and disappointment of not getting it

What can anyone do on 3 & 4? One can try to be dignified in communication. If other person raises voice for nothing, a few may get agitated and respond as well. Why have any expectations while writing here? This is a virtual forum and most don't know each other and not even their real name. Why think it should be all or nothing? What in case some new members who are attempting to write get very encouraged by the titles given? Frankly, the members encouraging responses and their nominations should be considered as reward than a moderator's recognition.

That maturity comes to most ILites but a few sweat on small stuff and decide to leave. Personally, I don't care whether I win award or not and what matters me the most is the responses I get from the members with great value add. I won't compare my writings with anyone else's here. There are so many great writers here in IL and how in the world I can compare myself with others?

Some writers can write 4-5 threads every month while a few others may write one every 2-3 months. A new writer may write about a life event with such passion while some one else may be very knowledgeable on a particular topic and focus on writing only about that. Some write humorous events and some write serious life changing events in a thread.

But what we should not do is to think a moderator is biased and one need to be in good books with them to win an award. Their judgment may not be acceptable to everyone but questioning their integrity (without any evidence) is just bad. It is outright insult to the intelligence of the entire IL community and to everyone who won the award in the past (younger or senior members). They don't know most of the awardees privately and they do their job voluntarily. They just make judgment because they need to choose one.

Example: Let us assume person A writes an average 2-3 threads a month and has 20 other great IL friends. They all regularly nominate Person A's thread repeatedly and all 24-36 threads of person A in a year could all be nominated in FP section. Can this statistics be used to nominate her thread as opposed to other writers who remains neutral with every ILite they come across in the Forum?

Anusha2917, kcb, Thyagarajan and 4 others like this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Your assumption isn't true always. There is a limit for anything and this time I am leaving IL for good. Don't assume that I will come back in New ID or same as Mistt.
    PS: no one is behind my posts.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I found this website several years ago by chance when I was browsing and decided to join as it is a welcoming, family-friendly community with constructive advice for the most part.
    I don't care about winning awards and trophies. I'm happy if I can contribute usefully but at the end of the day I have my real life to live. My participation here waxes and wanes with what's going on in that sphere. IMO it's better to take what you need, give when you can and not get too swept up emotionally into the virtual world.

kcb, satchitananda, Afresh and 3 others like this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I was told about this forum by someone I had met in another forum. So I joined. For a lark. I see that we are a very diverse crowd. All the way from those who think this is an utter waste of our own human resources, to those who think this is great, useful, and the right sort of arms-length relationship that is suitable -- just the interaction, fun, and no invitations to the house to feed them chips,cookies, and tea. And curse them when they leave crumbs on your carpet/floor.

When I leave, I will recall Charles deGaulle:
    The Cemetery is full of indispensable people.
    Only recently I came to know that leaving without a "Goodbye" announcement is recommended (required?) by the IL Forum

10. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Creating some noise while leaving gives some entertainment to the crowd in the forum? :laughing::laughing: IL should reconsider that rule.

P. S this comment has nothing to do with recent exit. This is a general observation I have from my experience in public forums.