1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relatively Speaking

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 26, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Once upon a time, a few decades ago, I know of elderly people making new acquaintances, asking a lot of questions and finding some connection through family or friends. "Neengal enda ooru"? was a normal question meaning 'which place do you come from'? Then conversations would go to 'I have .... in ..... village next to this place.' "Oh, I see! Which Mr. ABC?" "Son/ brother of ..... They have a shop. The older brother is a lawyer". And a bond would be formed.

Today with people spreading all over the world, the younger generation (starting with us! Yes, we are still young) we have no way of establishing connections. But fikr not. There is good old friend who often suggests new friends "you might know" along with common friends.

So it was I got a friend request today. One of the common friends was one I had written about - the one who suddenly felt she was not close to me, her uncle and A Very Dear Friend whom I met here for the first time. I had no clue who the person was, so I contacted said VDF (Very Dear Friend) and asked her who this person was. A few questions and answers later it transpired that VDF is now also related to this Friend Requester who is known within 'relatively' close family circles!!! [​IMG]:) It is indeed a small small world.

Strangely enough, another member of the same family is also related to another close friend from IL. This leads me to believe the claim that we are all related to other people in the world by 6 degrees. Or is it 7? Does it really matter?

Thyagarajan and shravs3 like this.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

World is too small sometimes :rolleye:

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Shravs, something or somebody seems to have got under your skin!!! :p

shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

These days... we've been taught not to talk to strangers in the airport, plane, or train.
    In our extended clan, all it took is a couple of older generations to have 10 healthy kids each, and they all go out into the world, and sprinkle their DNA without much reserve.
    That is part of the lyrics from an old old song, is still popular in (western)weddings when the dancers request a slow dance. Frank Sinatra made a mess of the beat; here is Diana Krall doing a good job for a slow dance:

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Would you believe if I say that all my paternal relatives, including cousins, nephews and nieces are all settled in Bangalore, with not one of them knowing Tamil but could speak only Kannada, Till my grandma was alive, there was a close bonding between us despite the language barrier, but now, all the relatives have become strangers.
    WhatsApp has brought people together, irrespective of the distances, but somehow the personal touch is missing!

Agatha83

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

As Agatha has said, now children do not want to reveal the identity of native place or parents to strangers in bus or train,since it becomes an easy tool for kidnappers to threaten.It is an undeniable fact that when you declare that your daughter/grand daughter has got the highest rank in the University, the immediate response would be" rank is not the assessing tool.If all others are dunces, even an ordinary girl can get University rank". Or " the paper might have been easy" Or " all the questions accidentally might have been the expected ones", There are more people to feel sad about others' achievements.

Jayasala 42

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:There is thrill in guessing who those persons could be for other IL’tes to discover. I could guess let me see how others here GUESS.
    2. Making acquaintance and converting it to friend and develop a Binda strong at that is simple art .
    3. Oldies (oryoungish oldies like me) knack is not only to extract information but to make use of it for social networking or and selfishness. Though world is shrinking for communication and travel, the friends circle for one keep expanding in new directions and old ones fades away.
    4. The difference reported in your post between 6 or 7 degrees among related pals to be understood in longitude degrees or centigrade or Fahrenheit degrees or Kelvin scale or some angular coordinates!
    5. If one goes by New or Old Testament, all people in the world are brothers and sisters. Adam produced Eve to over come ennui and from them several generations produced. So it proves your dictum all are related !
    6. Long live the brotherhood and sisterhood. Hope you got this idea for writing this post when you were caught in morning rush hour or in office time.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God likes his replicas all around the globe separated only by few degrees.

shravs3 and satchitananda like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear JS Madam,
    I am reading a book
    Dear Agatha,
    I am reading a book Sapiens by Harari. Evolution of human beings, living style etc. He says it was community living before and gradually drifted to individualistic society. Discusses the probs and cons.
    Syamala

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:All civilisations originated close proximity to running rivers. When riversand taken away for construction elsewhere rivers dried up. Hence now we are industrialised civilised worried about extinction.
    2. There is no Nile Or Indus the way it was some 5000 years ago bemoans historians
    thanks and Regards.
    God with his entourage spread in rivers all across the globe and on a particular combination of celestial stars they confluence in mahamagam tank in Kumbakonam of South India once in 12 years.

Anusha2917, shravs3 and shyamala1234 like this.