1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

S O S!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 20, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

upload_2019-4-20_22-18-51.png
    Am sure many of you have already seen this picture on Whatsapp/Facebook. A picture tells more than a 1000 words, it is said. So true! This picture raises many emotions in my mind. I think I was given this treatment only once in my lifetime. By the time I was growing up many anti-helminthic medications were already in the market. My mom took sadistic pleasure in making me ingest those vile tasting granules every few months. Another pleasure she took was in treating any open wounds (which I was wont to bring home almost every week) with ethanol which ensured I was heard all the way to the end of the street (and maybe around it to the next turning as well!!!)

My heart goes out to the kids in this picture. Adults those days were endowed with too much power over the little human beings. Not fair, I say! There was certainly no commission for the prevention of cruelty to children those days. Which brings me to the question ..... is there one today?

Though my heart bleeds at the sight of these little critters running helter skelter trying to escape the clutches of the adults in the house, there is one positive side to the whole thing. It warms the cockles of my heart to see so many people in one room at one time. There are not so many people in one entire house these days. Many homes are occupied by 2 individuals with each inhabiting different rooms, communicating only when one's life depends on it, and sometimes through e mail or SMS or WhatsApp!!! Oh the good old days!!!

Would love to hear about your impressions and memories.

Yumna, ano, Afresh and 9 others like this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    It looks like a different world to me!
    I agree on two things....
    Cruelty to children... Different types in different times. Now pressure on children about studied, peer pressure. You wrote a blog on it a few days back. Adults endowed with power in those days is far better than now!
    Second.. So many in one room!!!! Yes. We do not see now. That is why virtual world is created... May be. In USA one of our people built a huuuuge house which inhabits two adults and two kids. Kids always in their rooms when at home, parents both working. When dinner is ready she texts or whatsapp to the kids to come down!
    Syamala

Srama, Afresh, Thyagarajan and 3 others like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Castor oil fortnightly sessions!:tired::yikes:

I remember such torture sessions. Knowing what was coming ahead, my sister and I would use all our intelligence to run and hide anywhere in our large house or the compound. But...with a wicked laughter my father would catch us one after the other and force that thick oil down our throats, if necessary with our nostrils pinched! Immediately after the session, mom would handover our cups of coffee. On that special day for all our toilet trips warm water would be provided as the castor oil cools the body and Bangalore weather used to be cold as such. Then lunch was standard hot rice and pepper rasam. In between, if needed some hot water was forced down our throats. By the evening we would be like exhausted lame ducks! Only at night regular food would be given!!!

I have experienced so much of benefit from this castor oil that now willingly I consume it at least once in a couple of months! It does really help.:tonguecrazy:

Fantastic representational art! Hats off to the artist for capturing so many perfect expressions!

Afresh, messedup, Thyagarajan and 6 others like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Sats! Thanks a ton for posting this picture. What a delightful capturing of a moment in life.

You must pardon me because I don't have much to say. Instead I am going to post a few more of Sri Gopulu's enchanting drawings.
    I grew up seeing his drawings in the weekly Ananda Vikatan magazine and also have kept some of my Grandad's magazines that have featured Sri Gopulu's cartoons.

Sri Gopulu died at age 91 in April 2015.

Here is one delightful cartoon.

gopulu railway.jpg

Source : Pinterest

The below picture is from the book Washingtonil Thirumanam which is so endearing.

indian heritage.jpg

Source: indianheritage.com

A scene at the Eye doctor's
    aniklarthik.blogspot.com.jpg
    Source: anikarthik.blogspot.com

Another medicine giving scene
    download.jpg
    Source: anikarthik.blogspot.com.

Enjoy!

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This would be tough in a crowded household with such a lot of kids rushing to the only toilet at the same time.
    This is close-to-home for me!! Instead of climbing up (kitchen on the ground floor, bedrooms on the upper floor -- is the usual design of houses) the stairs, or yelling from far away, it is best to use the phone to just call one of them, and ask her/him to tell the other one to come down also. Even before the mobile phones, landline offered two (or three) different numbers. Children had their own numbers, so that all their long phone calls with friends did not tie up the phone for the rest of us.

That picture is soooo noisy -- in more ways than one !

ano, Afresh, Thyagarajan and 2 others like this.
  6. satchitananda

Fortnightly!!! Seriously! Wasn't that just a bit over the top? Was wondering yesterday "we survived perfectly fine without all those doses of castor oil" and then second guessed myself "or did we???" Psssst.....does it help bring your weight down ever 15 days? Sorry Amulet for stealing your idea! :p

Afresh, Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. satchitananda

Such delightful pictures!!! Truly, in this case one has to wonder whether art imitates life or vice versa. The pics are so life like! Thanks a lot for sharing.

8. satchitananda

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You are totally welcome. And besides, if someone is to take this thread down the toilet, it is best be you :p. There are horror stories of toilet queues at home and in wedding choultries that people can surely recall.

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  10. satchitananda

Dear Syamala, thanks so much for the first response! So true. Not just a different world, a different planet altogether! Adults endowed with power ..... ouch! That brings back to mind the number of occasions I was delivered mercilessly to the doctor who mistook my back side for a pin cushion. I had written about this in another lifetime on IL. Shall share it again soon. Besides, there are no adults to do that today and I have not empowered myself to do that to anybody. Don't you think our generation was controlled by our parents and is on the receiving end of the generation on the other side, as well?

Thyagarajan and shyamala1234 like this.