1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Back To Basics! No Soap No Shampoo! Practical?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by IniyaaSri, Mar 12, 2018.

Will you stop using body soaps & shampoos and go for natural alternatives?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. May be. I dont know.

7.1%
  4. Yes only if it not time consuming

26.2%
  5. Is that really possible?

2.4%
  1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello::hello:IT was accidental that I took few days in a row BATH WITHOUT SOAP while on a pilgrimage as i forgot to replenish the stock.
    2. I found it did not make any difference to me or my skin nor TO any one. NONE discovered anything strange around ME . I continued with this practice off and anon EVEN AT HOME NOW.
    4. But the bathroom use to get filled with fragrance of herbal soap now feels different!
    5. I read that Queen Cleopatra used daily over 100 donkeys' milk for her bath and river-SAND pack. Her beauty or her skin gloss never seemed to be treated with ph balanced alkali (sodium hydroxide ) + acid(ANIMAL FAT or olive oil) called soap.
    5. Because of bath soap and other soaps for washing my plants were dying in the garden as drainage diverted to gardens.
    6. Kanchi periyaval and His juniors insists well water for their bath wherever they are camping and never use soap. I used to find glow in their skin even from a distance. They never seek any moisturiser. But their life style is different from ours.
    6. Humanity strive toward hygiene by treating externally but cause for derma problems, early baldness, hair falling etc could lie internally and or in the nature of food we gulp añd the way we eat and ingest etc.
    7. We had skipped regular oil baths on Fri or Sat becsuse it spoils the bath room and it looks awkward to roam around indoors with annointed face and body.
    8. My late periamma with bouncing long rich black hair never touched bath soap till her age 88. Well it could be hereditary.
    9. Soaps with fragrance are more harmful to skin than soaps without fragrance.
    10. Dove said to be no soap but only detergent.
    11. All glycerine removed from soap is least preferred because the lubricating effrct on skin will be nil.
    Be aware and beware of cheap fragranced soap.
    Regards.
    God saves our skin from detergents.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:@IniyaaSri @kveena

Out of total thirty and odd votes, 50% answered affirmative.
    2. Would it not be interesting to know sub division of these yes votes gender wise age wise for proper analysis. As sample size, would it be enough to analyse to arrive at conclusions.
    Thanks to likes and those who voted in the poll ibid.
    God lends succour those who exercise their franchise in good time or and right Time!

IniyaaSri and virtualkv2020 like this.
  3. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Yes sir sub division of yes votes is definitely a good idea. My parents- grand parents switched to using commercial products later in life due to convenience and since I was born during this era I never got to experience the goodness of home made DIY products. I did hear few good stories about these DIYs from my grandma and great aunt though.It was just out of curiosity that I tried a few like the famous besan-curd-turmeric body scrub and Amla-reeta-Shikakai as a child,However I was never consistent in using these and didn’t care much as I was blessed with good skin and hair.

When aging and stress started to take a toll on my skin and hair I realized that prevention is better than cure and started using these products. I am now totally in love with these home made shampoos and body scrubs, they have helped restore my skin and hair health,which I am sure no store bought chemical product can achieve. Thanks to good old Ayurveda.I am now teaching my kids to use them too.

I realised that for good health how much you eat is not the only thing that matters but also how it is cooked and in what it is cooked matters too.Within 3 years of my marriage I threw away all the nonstick, aluminum, plastic.Using iron,earthen pots and steel for cooking.Using glass for storage.I know there’s more to this like raising your own organic vegetables and cows, I won’t be able to do this but can only use good organic produce from health markets.This is just a small contribution from my side for my family’s health.

I also realised that too much of cardio workout is bad for health as it contributes to muscle loss.Thanks to my trainer who taught me the importance of blending cardio and strength. It is so cute to notice my little one pretending to be Jillian Michaels while I exercise.I still have yoga on my to do list and would love to learn from a good instructor.Small life style changes makes a huge difference!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    shravs3, Afresh and startinganew like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello::clap2: That means the quoting which vanishes from skillets and non sticks by and by would not enter your family digestive systems and no carcinogen from the food you used to make in those vessels. Great.
    2. Traditional healthy ways handed down from our ancestors have given way to newer comfortable ways but at what cost.
    3. Social health has taken the brunt. More hospitals newer drugs unfathomable or undiagnosable diseases and only beneficiary are the pharmaceutical industry and the big hospitals.
    4. Slow & steady and gradual are the KEYS in almost all spheres including fitness, body building, Maintaing weight or muscle mass with in acceptable range. anything done fast and irregular timings body circadian rhythm gets confused resulting in frustration.
    5. It must be rewarding for your tiny to observe and learn from you and others as well. If he picks up understanding only by observation it would be enormously good for his development and learning. I am sure you would play soft music vocal or instrumental which itself in many ways good for the entire family, improved memory, lower or control BP etc. it’s preventive and therapeutic.
    Regards.
    God blesses those who follow good regimen.

shravs3, Afresh and virtualkv2020 like this.
  5. virtualkv2020

Thank you sir.I guess most of us are taking baby steps in going back to square one for better health.I used to suffer from acne during my teenage and had been to a dermatologist,It never really helped as the acne would bounce back after I was done using the medicines.Diet played a major role in curing my acne issue and if at all I get a boil, a simple remedy of flax seeds and turmeric or salt does the trick.Ayurveda is truly amazing,that being said I dont take any Ayurveda medicines internally unless prescribed by an Ayurveda practitioner as I am aware of the hazards of wrong medication.

As a kid I saw my mom and other women in my neighborhood excited about a paper/TV ad when they got to exchange all the iron cookware for the nonstick cookware for free of cost.They came back home with brand new elegantly looking nonstick cookware,little did they know that they were trading good ones for carcinogenic cook ware.As a kid my mom saw her aunts trading brass pots for colorful plastic water pots,they thought they were pretty and lightweight.

I find myself debating with my mom to throw away the nonstick and aluminum but she doesn't seem to listen.I am now happy that she started using earthen pots and iron cookware.The very first time I used earthen pot I was pleasantly surprised by taste of this simple curry.Beerakaya Paalu posina koora ( ridge gourd milk curry) | Indusladies

Food cooked in Earthen pots and Brass is not only tasty but also retains a high nutritional value between 93 to 100% when compared to food cooked in Aluminum which is 7 to 13%? Ayurveda has always suggested using Earthen pots for cooking.Ayurvedic medicated oils are made in earthenware.A test conducted recently on the food cooked in different containers gave the above results.We should thank our Ayurveda gurus for their remedies.

Check this out

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    KashmirFlower and Afresh like this.
  6. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Could you please share the tooth powder/paste recipe..

Do you.mix powdered dried neem leaves with salt or any another way for doing it?

Could you tell me? I having problem in tooth which no paste or tablets couldnt solve it.

Thank you

7. virtualkv2020

Traditionally Neem sticks are used as a tooth brush (it does the job of a tooth paste too).

Tooth powder for dental issue
    Grind 50 grams of black mustard seeds with 50 grams of kallu uppu (crystal salt) into a fine powder and store in a glass jar.Use this powder to brush your teeth daily to get rid of infections resulting in healthy and shiny teeth.

HakunaMatata likes this.
  8. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Hey , r u a dream or what??
    I am going to try this shampoo as this seems doable ;)
    Have you used this? does it work?
    I had been trying to use a proper ayurvedic brand of shampoo powder, but i didn't feel it working with my hair. # months i tried it, no lather is ok,but with the earth like texture i never felt cleam or the hair looked greasy like unwashed all the while.So went back to the regular shampoo.
    Think its time again to go on my new easy fix hunt for shampoos

Can you share what kind of earthen pots you use? maybe a pic or so...
    Do they break or crack soon? i do not know if it'll endure all the functionality and regualr wear and tear.
    Also ,does it take more time to cook in these?
    Thanks @kveena , look fwd to your reply

IniyaaSri likes this.
  9. virtualkv2020

Yes I used old tamarind pulp as shampoo, it won’t lather like shampoo but cleans well.If you want a DIY shampoo that lathers, try using hibiscus leaves, make a smooth paste out of it using water, strain to discard the sediments and use.You need to use the right amount to clean and get rid of the grease.Meera hair wash powder is also good, I remember using it a few times as a child. Green gram powder can also be used to wash hair. You can simply use reeta juice to wash your hair, if reeta is more drying adding hibiscus leaves juice or soaked and ground fenugreek paste to the juice will do the trick. I wash my hair twice a week with Amla, reeta, Shikakai,fenugreek powdered mix.I soak 4-5 spoons in little hot water overnight. Grind into a smooth paste and use.This paste is enough to use twice a week for my hair length, I refrigerate the left over.

Aloe Vera shampoo
    I bought a glass liquid soap dispenser from ikea.I mixed equal amount of natur sense aloe Vera gel and nature gate shampoo (mild shampoo) and filled the dispenser with this mixture. My family uses this shampoo.

For more shampoo recipes visit my post Natural Shampoos For Healthy And Beautiful Hair

Earthenware are the traditional clay pots that have been used for cooking in India since ancient times. It takes time to get heated but cooking time is the same. Before using it season it well by soaking in water. Yes they crack, need to handle with care,better to soak them in water every now and then.I bought two, I use one exclusively for fish curry and the other for curries and dal/sambar.For stir fries I use iron kadai.I heard about a special earthen pot which is exclusively used for making curds.You will find earthen pots in a video I included in this post. A friend of mine maintains a long earthen jar in the kitchen for drinking water. I use a copper jug for drinking water. Both are good for health.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Afresh, shravs3 and IniyaaSri like this.
  10. HakunaMatata

HakunaMatata Gold IL'ite

Thank you @kveena
    I will try this for sure.