1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The 'tall' And Short Of It....

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Afresh, Apr 18, 2019.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Interesting share, @Afresh.

Every day some new data is released to be disproved a few days later. One day it is X, the other day it is Y, two days later a new theory Z gets proposed. Simultaneously, all the theories/studies will have a good number of die-hard supporters too. Example: Acidic or alkaline condition of the body, ACV is good vs bad and so on!:thinking: Height or weight, an inch here are there doesn't matter much in my view. These physical factors are influenced by nutrition, weather patterns, genes, physical activities and the whims and facies of the pituitary gland.:cool: I wish these studies concluded and concured on the key influences.

To me what matters is the falling moral, ethical and EQ standards. For an overall well-being of a nation or home, I guess we need these more than the others.:sunglasses:

2. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I agree!!

But
    with respect to the above, this study is a fact based one , done by the Govt through a large scale sample survey. So it's really not just some random research.
    There is a whole nutrition and other environmental factors which are driving this result, which need to be dealt by for demographic studies....

Perhaps you would be interested sometime, to know that how Japan with its failing birth rate and ageing population is in danger of being a nation requiring immigrant support.
    Also , similarly, due to the demographic issues resultant from the Chinese One child policy, they finally had to do away with it!
    Basically, these are to point out to the general trends in a nation and how policies can be moulded to uplift social development.

3. GeetaKashyap

:thumbup:

These days I look at every study with some doubt. :( (Ulterior motive of some pharma or a multinational company!) Invariably some hidden agenda will be there. In India, we have established nutritional deficit. The population is so huge and the political will to provide for all is low. The last two generations in urban areas got excessive nutrition leading to obesity as a side effect.:tonguewink:

You know as a mixed race in the tropical/subtropical region, our physiques are heavily influenced by genes and environmental conditions. May be a comparison between China and Japan or Korea may mean something sensible. Further, how was the sample study done? Pan India or according to North- South divide? So I felt a comparison of this sort may not mean much.

Policies are totally specific to nations. Within India, today Parsi community gives incentives to have more children and Andhra or Telangana has asked It's people to reproduce more! Has India got any unified policy or policies today!:grinning:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Afresh, shravs3 and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:But I presume you had responded after having viewd my entire comments. I hastened to raise this point
    In mythology demons height mentioned in units of Yojana which is equivalent of some miles. I do not know to which yuga it relates to. But Lord Hanuman according to Valmiki, could at His will grow to a height of several yojanas to have aerial view of Sri Lanka. Lord Krishna to Brahma over arrow bed gave vishwaroopa darshan after that only the latter commenced praising the lord called Sahasranamam.
    Thanks & regards.
    God's dimensions fathomless roofless.

Afresh and GeetaKashyap like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Interesting data analysis, and from here (NutritionINDIA) our national nutrition numbers look bit alarming indeed. Pollution and environment factors are out of your control (mostly) unless you plan to move from your location to someplace nice and quiet, but if your kid is on a right diet (important factor, also under your control) and healthy for her age, there shouldn't be much to worry isn't?

Afresh and Gauri03 like this.
  6. GeetaKashyap

@Afresh,

Check these articles below, it throws up some interesting info. I remember pouring over such information during college days as it was a part of my favorite branch of study.

How much of human height is genetic and how much is due to nutrition?

Are People in Colder Countries Taller?
    I can't accurately recall the logics though. Body structure, height, shape of the nose etc adopt to maximise body efficiency in relation to the environmental factors and the genetic factors>DNA evolution and imprints/mutation and so on.

Can we blame nutrition alone for the short stature of Salman Khan, Sachin Tendulkar, Sunil Gavaskar, Amir Khan...?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:At #14 in high lighted area click to expand please click and read the hidden content please. I do not know why it landed in high lighted area which was supposed to be my response to op.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God de-glitch hidden comments.

Afresh and GeetaKashyap like this.
  8. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

The logic behind this over a period a time the evolution has happened like this. In order to get maximum sunlight the body changed that way. (taller) . When the surface area of the skin increases ,there will be better absorption of sunlight .This holds good in cold countries especially.
    There's an interesting article I read on this few years. Let me check and share it if I get.
    Also it stated the reason for Africans having big buttocks. It's because of their hunting practice.
    Very interesting article it was on evolution .

9. GeetaKashyap

:hello: Some more data must be available for better correlation than viewing the statistics in isolation of possibly all other other factors.
    2. Mere data presented as above might lead to premature conclusions.
    3. But taller or shorter in few centuries should not give concern for we have or had lots of illustrious figures of either gender.
    We have Padmasri Tendulkar, Gavasakar & late Lal Bahadur and so on. In Bollywood, Tollywood too we have numerous celebrities.
    In boxing, in table tennis and badminton too we have shorties but they claim to have won medals for the Nation. We have celebrated Nobel laureates Bharata Rathna Sir CV RAMAN, Sir C Rajagopalachari et al.
    4. In view of this, I presume one need not worry on this score!
    5. The average height or tallness of the citizen of a Nation is largely depended on geographical conditions and ethnicity. Hybrid versions excluded!
    6. A few drops of “Incremin” administered daily in childhood reported to have resulted in faster taller growth later in boyhood. A potent vitamin beyond that I have no inputs. Could be “E”.
    7. Shorty daughters of India marry lampoons. Jaya Bachchan and Amithabh.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God permits humans to conquer Mount Everest irrespective of their heights and genders.

The above was you first response, @Thyagarajan Sir. #14 confused me as it is @Afresh's response. Could you please quote it again?

I agree with whatever you have said. The article shared by @Afresh is okay too but...I can't seem to agree wholeheartedly with it. Genetics always has two components (alleles) ; the dominant one expresses while the recessive one doesn't but (may) gets passed on to the next generation. These determine the height or any characteristics of a person. In the presence of optimum nutrition, environment and better physical conditions, the expression of the gene also gets optimised. But saying this alone...is debatable.

In India, in general, south Indians are average to shorter in height but some communities of Andhra are very tall. North and North west people are taller than the national average. East population is again average or shorter. Even regarding nutrition, most urban kids are optimally fed but that doesn't ensure good height always. Poorer lot in villages or the Adivasi belts are highly malnutrioned and their growth may be stunted partly. (In MP, funds earmarked for such mothers and children got transferred for election campaigning!)

In fact, due to rich food (not exactly nutritional foods)+lack of enough physical activities our kids are prematurely maturing! Comparatively, in USA and Europe even PIO kids are big at birth but by adulthood they are very much on par with desi's according to a friend doing Genetics research in USA.

My suspicion is, studies of this nature comparing horses with elephants, might trigger uncertainities in the upwardly mobile urbanites and make them fall for some newly developed international nutrition product. Already we are falling for many unnecessary traps out of shear fear and ignorance.

Though positioning nutrition over genetics is unacceptable to me, I am open to accept that my assumptions may be wrong too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

No one is blaming diet and nutrition as far as I understand, neither denying the role of genetics. Evolution is not only biological, socio-cultural and environmental factors also contribute, such as climate, life expectancy, diet, nutrition, etc. The ratio of each factor's influence on our (height) growth is variable and the study is trying to understand the same.

“An individual’s genetics has a big influence on [their] height… but once you average over whole populations, genetics plays a less key [role],” James Bentham, co-author of the report via Guardian. “Most populations would grow to roughly similar heights if they were all in the same conditions.”

Within the context of Indian population data, prominent factors significantly influencing our heights seem to be Malnutrition and Undernutrition.

Quoting from OP's link:

“...There are two primary factors responsible for these results—India has one of the highest undernutrition and malnutrition levels in the world..."

Yes, I agree. Comprehensive research studies as these could help the government audit progress, adjust or frame new healthcare policies with better or more optimal result possibilities than previous years, say, more like a roadmap for visions onward maybe. Every data is useful indeed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Afresh and Gauri03 like this.