1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce Laws And Alimony

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by planetx, Apr 10, 2019.

1. planetx

planetx Junior IL'ite

I have already posted my prob earlier in this forum.

Want Divorce From Husband

The last time he spoke to me was in Dec 2018, when he vacated the house and sent my things back. After that he stopped picking my calls. I waited patiently for 4 months no use. I sent a lawyer notice 2 weeks back. He responded last Saturday saying he is busy with office work and needs 15 more days time. But his lawyer keeps pressurizing by calling my lawyer every day and saying he will sign mutual consent divorce but ready to provide only 2 lakhs lump sum. I did not agree. He did not send me even a penny in these 16 months separation time. I'm a hindu. His gross salary is 12 lakhs/annum. He has 50% share in an individual house that is worth minimum 1.5 crores. It is not registered in my name. Has some ancestral property in his native too. We don't have a child. We both hail from an upper middle class background living in India. I'm not working. Can anyone guide me how much alimony I can claim from him?

What will happen if I file domestic violence? I endured sexual and dowry harassment for 1.5 yrs. I didn’t walk out of the house. I was literally necked out.

2. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

Looks like your marriage is very short term. Not sure when he bought the house - before or after marriage. if its before you cant claim much, if its after you can claim the equity (amount after deducting loan).

Filing dowry case is your choice, we cannot guide you on as its brutal for the husband and his family. Unless you have solid proof its not worth it. Can you just send a proposal to him and state what you want and see what his response is. Best to end the case fast instead of paying lawyers and losing peace.

Atleast you can move on and start a new chapter instead of fighting for years. You dont have a kid so better to compromise and find a new guy and settle down.

SinghManisha and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. planetx

planetx Junior IL'ite

Not a word of exaggeration in my post dear. He expects me to sign mutual consent by accepting 2 lakhs. Is this the price for my life? My parents did not inherit any wealth from both sides. My marriage expense itself is more than 20 lakhs. It’s their hard earned money. They did a Grand wedding still all they received was criticism from my MIL. She expected them to buy a flat and car. Demanded to give my jewels. What is this called? It is nothing but dowry. He was not ready to even pay for my Visa. My dad was building a house and my wedding arrangements were going on simultaneously. As my father didn’t give him money for Visa he cancelled the booked flight tickets. I had to stay at my mom’s house for the first 3 months. I fought and went in tourist visa against my MIL wish. She put an emotional drama and made us travel back.

Now his lawyer is playing cheap mind games. Her sister is dad’s colleague. She tried to negotiate a deal through her. We said we can’t accept. His lawyer directly called my dad and started the conversation saying he is ready to live with me. My aged parents were moved by her words. My mom said if he is ready to live she has no issues. She immediately threw an attitude and talked in a threatening tone. I thought best to call him directly. Didn’t want a third person to play game between us. He did not attend my call as usual and showing attitude.