1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda lovely food..so tempting.. so what is in the paratha..??

@shodin lovely food.. earlier i collected the voss water bottles, the organic coconut water bottles.i even kept those starbucks bottles and some juice bottles .later i got these bottles with better caps.. the small bottles tend to rust faster.. i am looking at good quality bottles..but sometimes it is hard as the family breaks a few..lol..

regarding juices i don't add anything to them.. no sugars, no salts .. i try to enhance taste by mix and match..
    regarding turmeric, amla and ginger, there is a bit of tanginess in the amla that will balance.. you will like it if you like to eat amla.. a couple of times maybe hard, but you will get used to it..

shodin, Afresh and satchitananda like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@shodin that roasted pumpkin seeds are too high in salt on the outer.. i buy the barbequed version of sunflower and pumpkin sometimes, even that is salty.. i go with shelled pumpkin and sunflower.. if yours is not heavy on salt ignore..

shodin likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-13 at 14.16.18.jpeg Ramanavami thali, the traditional kosumalli, panagam and neer more.. rasam, sauted radish, cabbage kootu, rasam and salads..

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 14.42.17 (1).jpeg the tamil new year thali.. vada, the mandatory new year mango patchadi(sweet, sour, salt, spices and bitterness from neem flowers), potatoes baji, beans, sambhar, and cucumber thayir patchadi and vermichelli payasam.. making an effort to show the kids traditions.. a kootu and a morkuzhambu and rasam missing though along with pickles..

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 14.16.23.jpeg quinoa, kootu (i will explain the kootu next post, dal, and yam sabji with salads and buttermilk..

snithya, kaniths, shodin and 3 others like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

so the season is here, i am talking about watermelons, melons and mores.. indulge in the fruits and vegetables of the season. they are available for a reason. show your kids why watery vegges are easily available for the summer..and why we need to drink water and save water too..

coming to watermelon, i do eat the fruit..almost whole fruit..no waste other than rind. earlier during my gardening days even that was not a waste.. the seeds are sold as watermelon seeds in the nuts and spices shops..equally good in the phosporous and zinc and more..

coming to the watermelon, too much of it does not agree with some.. excess of potassium in the fruit can cause indigestion and bloating..but we know the thumbrule is moderation. watermelon has natural sugars buddy..

so coming back to the rind after removing the fruit.. we use a knife, not eat off it.. so we use the rind.. i have earlier shared a few recipes.. kootu, chutney , raita, and even koftas and parathas..

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 14.42.16 (1).jpeg

last evening, the young man tells me, mom, i had a nariyal pani at this place, the first sip i thought it feels so salty, then i started sipping mindfully and ffelt the earthiness and the minerals replenishing me.. i understood what you mean by the earth and the location and nuturing can have definite impact on the output..a big grin on my face on this side of the phone..
    this morning, i juiced the rinds, with a little bit of fles, a sprig of mint, and slice of ginger.. felt the salt from minterals, the flavors and more.. try it if you like..
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 14.42.16 (2).jpeg

the kootu on my earlier thali is moong and watermelon rind kootu, sshh..the hubby has not yet realised what it it..bowl empty.. .lol..sneaky me..
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 14.42.16 (3).jpeg

This one is a reminder from childhood. there used to be this neighbor aunty, come summer would make all these vathals and vadams. being from andhra would make dumpling like vadams of urad dal and ashgourd.. and she would also make dosas out of the centre flesh..a teasing memory through memory lane...

as i mentioned, the dr, has asked us to keep away from fermented foods..especially idly dosa.. so it has been experiments of dosa and idli the instant kind.. neer dosa, tomato dosa and tada..tonight it is watermelon rind dosa..

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 16.43.29 (1).jpeg
    i made one just to show my friend..sharing the same here..
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 16.43.29.jpeg

i am sure they are not going to find the difference, as i have added hing, chillies and some curry leaves..

snithya, shodin, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 16.43.20.jpeg red beetroot, carrots and apples
    lighter red or pink - watermelon mint and ginger
    pink - pomegranates
    green - celery, cucumbers, ginger, apple and parsley

WhatsApp Image 2019-04-15 at 14.42.17.jpeg

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wish you the same, Shanvy.

7. satchitananda

Nobody hazarding any guesses. :-( It is previous day's knolkhol sabzi ka paratha. :)

Afresh likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Amazing plates, Shanvy! Looking forward to the quinoa kootu recipe.

9. satchitananda

Your juices never stop to amaze me!

10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

upload_2019-4-15_22-36-24.png
    @satchidananda : This uthappa + podi/oil looks too delicious to be a "diet" food.
    Isn't that too much oil, especially on that podi ?

kaniths and satchitananda like this.