1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Encourage Kid For Stage

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Vedhavalli, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

My kid isn't shy or scared for stage.
    But she wants me in front row doesn't make eye contact with others.
    I want my 5 yr old kid to be bold, brave in stage.
    What encouragements I can give her?
    I'm showing her video performance of mine and my siblings.
    If I show other kids video kid gets upset... I don't want her confidence to go down.
    Now I'm encouraging her to participate
    What can I do further?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why?
    You are not encouraging her. To encourage means to give support, confidence or hope. You are pushing your dreams on a 5 year old. You are putting on her the immense and totally avoidable burden of not meeting parent's expectations.
    Stop showing her videos. Stop bugging her about it. If school activity requires each child or a group to present something in front of the class, help her prepare. Over the next twelve school years, there will be many opportunities to get over any stage fear.

You have written about her in other posts. She is a charming child with a delightful sense of humor. Let her be. Find her positives and appreciate them. If she is simply not cut out for stage performance kind of activity, so be it. She will learn how to talk or present in front of a group of people as that skill is often needed in school and life. Performing on stage otherwise is something some children or people do as a hobby, passion.

Children are very sensitive to what their parents say, want and praise. You have significant damage control to do after showing her all those videos. Those would have chipped away at her self-confidence and the security of unconditional parental love.
    Appreciating Other Kids In Front Of Own Kid

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. Vedhavalli

Thank you @Rihana
    I showed 2-3 videos to get the idea not to be exactly like them. That was never my intention. Single performance like speech she is good, but group performance like dance she sees elder kids and hesitant towards.
    Sure I will never praise other kids in front of her, If i do she creates a huge ruckus. Now a days I say only hi-bye to other kids.

4. Nanali

Nanali Senior IL'ite

If kids want to be on stage then you help them to prepare and get ready. If they are shy, then wait for the days to come before putting then there. This is something you just to make sure they are truly ready to do it mentally, not to be pushed or motivated by parents.

SinghManisha and Vedhavalli like this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Update on stage. My kid was bold n performed very well, actually it was me fearing how kid will do... But she was damn bold. I was dumbstruck.

Afresh and Rihana like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Quick! Get her on an iron-clad contract with Mummy as the manager (15% cut, 2% of all future royalties) before she wises up and signs on with CAA, UTA, or ICM!!! Second grade may be too late!!:fearscream:
    :beer-toast1: