The Solar System – Belts, Tails, Showers – Part 1

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kkrish, Apr 1, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry I dont understand your comment.

2. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  3. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Panspermia you mean :wink: Panspermia - Wikipedia

Also can we please talk about 'Oumuamua , our very first interstellar object , closely related to asteroid , or is it one ?

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a welcome sight you are in E&G, Kamala! Thanks for yet another meticulously researched article.

For me the asteroid belt was a forgotten part of the Solar System, permanently relegated to the background in the face of the imposing presence of the planets themselves. That was until I read The Expanse series of books. Unlike most space-related sci-fi the authors didn't reach for the stars but chose to cast a spotlight on our own backyard so to speak. Most of the books' action is based in the asteroid belt, on Ceres and Jupiter's moons to be specific. My fascination for the belt grew from those stories and their description of what future human colonies in the belt would look like, and the physical changes third and fourth generation humans would undergo in the belt's low gravity and oxygen enriched human colonies. Mining in the mineral rich belt is a foregone conclusion. How and when we get there is the question.

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Thyagarajan, Afresh and kkrish like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the informative post @Endlesshope .

The latest news, as of January 2019 is that asteroid mining has taken a step back, mainly due to lack of funds. The Space Review: The asteroid mining bubble has burst. I do not know how accurate this news is though.
    I costs easily $2 Billion, at a ballpark, if we want to get a substantial amount of asteroid material back to Earth.
    One of the ideas is to pull an asteroid close to Earth and then mine it.

Well, it may be quite some time before this becomes a reality.

satchitananda, Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:)
    Oh well, you can call it that.
    I merely took into account that if the Earth's upper crust had been bereft of minerals we would not have flora and then by default no fauna either.

Life maybe a simple formula of Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen, but it takes a multitude of other factors and is highly complicated. We all should be very happy that we are truly miracle products. :)

Sure, go ahead.
    I am quite short on time, but would love to learn more about this object.
    The latest that I read is that it is a comet, or is behaving like one.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

First of all @kkrish , Hello Mam,
    Such an informative post, will take effort to understand it thoroughly!:worship2:
    Also may I add ( as this is my first interaction) , I am in awe of a few stellar Ilites, who through their posts reveal to be such intelligent, articulate and efficient beings ( referring to your time management thread! )

On the subject of space, the latest in India's headlines are the debris (due to mission shakti) floating around in orbit where in international space station and thus astronauts, might be in danger for getting hit by these.
    NASA has criticised India's mission on the above grounds.
    However India has said that " the tests were calibrated keeping in mind the debris issue.The world should know that debris from two chinese tests is still floating whereas those created by the Indian test will disappear".
    Any comments/ reactions on this ?
    Thanks Mam

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Srama and Anusha2917 like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your warm welcome @Gauri03 .

You are not alone. I too thought that asteroids were just a bunch of rocks going around the Sun, and paid not much attention. It was only while reading about them I came across so much fascinating information.

Now I am following the mission to asteroid Bennu. OSIRIS-REx mission is to bring back samples to Earth in 2023. Will be interesting to see what new information it reveals.

Sadly, President Obama's vision of sending man into deep space beyond moon, by starting with sending astronauts to an asteroid, will not materialize before the timeline he set (2025).

True. It may be something for your children to pursue and research the best way to accomplish this.

Thyagarajan and Gauri03 like this.