1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I use both the stems and the florets but I chop and pulse them separately, and mix them after they are done. I have a small chopper for daily use. I find that is ideal for making the broccoli/cauliflower rice. Your mixer should work fine. Just pulse in small batches otherwise by the time the top layer is chopped the bottom layer turns to mush. Also dry the vegetables thoroughly before pulsing. Excess moisture means it won't keep very well. I make it every 2-3 days and store in fridge. I don't mind the raw taste but if you want it to taste cooked just put it in the microwave for 2 minutes or saute in a pan for a few minutes. This recipe is pretty close to the procedure I use - What is Riced Broccoli?

Shanvy, kaniths and satchitananda like this.
  2. Gauri03

Here's one: Thalipeeth Recipe - Madhurasrecipe.com I don't make my own flour mix. I just use what my MIL sends so no idea if the ingredients are the same.

shodin, kaniths and satchitananda like this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I also need to learn this one. Thanks

shodin and Gauri03 like this.
  4. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

@Gauri03 - Thanks you very much

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Breakfast: Coffee
    Grapes 1 cup
    Lunch: 1 cup avial
    1 cup grated tapioca veg
    1 cup capsicum aloo veg
    Afternoon: Coffee
    Evening: 1 cup coffee with 10 ml milk
    3 Marie biscuits
    Late evening (at work after class): 1 samosa :BangHead: :smash2:
    1 cup curd rice
    15 gms cut mango pickle

upload_2019-3-25_21-55-38.png
    The pedometer app actually said 105 cals. Wonder where the 6 cals went in syncing!!!??? :thinking:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    shodin, Shanvy, kaniths and 1 other person like this.
  6. Gauri03

Sabudana khichdi for dinner tonight. Pretty high in calories --~400 cals per serving -- but I missed lunch today so didn't feel too guilty having it.

d3.jpg

Paripoorna, shodin, Shanvy and 3 others like this.
  7. satchitananda

That is the sad story of life Gauri. All the best things in life are full of calories. :-(

shodin, Gauri03 and Shanvy like this.
  8. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

:)
    If i may say something here (please dont mind) :
    I wouldn't fret over this samosa, as it has added to the feel good factor, and in our holistic wellness this also figures.
    now on another note, we do tend to feel hungry after work and with tummies running on low battery, they do need recharging instead of starving, so generally what i try and do to stave off these feelings, is have a fruit like banana/ orange handy anytime. It could also be a roti wrap
    It has two pronged benefit ;1. feels healthy to have a fruit 2. Tummy is also happy
    :)

shodin and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

Thanks for the comforting words, Afresh. :) No cause to mind. Actually, yes, I was hungry despite the coffee and Marie biscuits, but I could have held on till I came home. Had planned the curd rice and veggies. But someone came up with that plate of samosas and I could not resist jumping at one - it was totally instinctive. I did not even go looking for one! Have a weak spot for those. So to cut calories, the avial and veggie for the night was cut out. Not a good trade off, but that was the best I could do to minimize the calorific damage! Totally unnecessary.

shodin and Afresh like this.
  10. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Thanks @satchitananda Mam,
    I just want to writethis here, feel free to let me know if it is not applicable

:) i would sincerely urge you to cut the marie biscuit from the routine (if it is there) , in your words that is one thing totally un-necessary there. It adds to the unhealthy food guilt with no benefits.

Instead , i would snack on nuts (almond-walnuts)/ a light sandwich would also do/ fruit of choice. Infact i have had a roti with veggie like okra also when such pangs strike and believe me lost weight with this kind of mindful eating. Just feeling satiated on these will keep us form falling for the snacky fast food we fall for when hunger strikes.

simply , we need to get the body to a level when it doesn't get to the extreme hunger pangs and its easier to focus o n the other stuff.
    I would like to state that I am more of a believer in healthier intake as opposed to calorie counting and looking at a complete meal in itself.

shodin likes this.