1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Social Media And Issue Face At Work Place

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by nolife, Mar 17, 2019.

1. nolife

nolife Silver IL'ite

Here are the two incidents that happened , one a year back and other just 2 days back. I work at client location and meet other folks of my base company only during meetings or quarterly parties (i am in some base cmpy wbats app group of this department). I am quite active on fb and keep posting pics atleast once in 3mons. Some pics are public and some are private.
    So during last year, during team lunch a guy commented that he likes my posts and comments on one page. I was suprised to hear this as I barely know that guy and i was shocked. I look average but my pics come out as a different person thanks to technology and my photogenic features.
    2das back i took interviews in my base company and couple of fols were there . After the interview process we had some casual conversation about how the candidates were and how the interview process is. This guy pinged me on whats app asking me if i was coming for interview in themorning. This guy is of same technology as mine and during tht conversation he sarcastically told me on face to be careful with me interviewing men as they might stalk me on fbas i keep changing my pics on fb and whats app.I was shoxked to hear this. clearly this guy was stalking me. I have blocked him on fb after coming home though.
    I kept this social media fb account for the sole purpose of guys viewing, o catch up with friends, to register in dating apps etc.
    Now, i feel should i deactivate fb account? All this years my looks are not attracting guys for marriage but they r attracting for free dates ..i do not see any use of this .. please advice

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is quite normal I guess , as soon people meet a new person now , they go check FB etc for pics .... I was surprised to learn this but it is the fact, so you need to be careful with how much you post online.

I used to post my elder one’s bday pics every year ... but I stopped after my second one was born... it is just a passive account , I don’t post anything nor I login to fb often.

I too should deactivate it.

nolife likes this.
  3. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

I think you should lock the content well for only friends to see and keep no cover photos as they are visible to all.
    With just profile pic not sure what the stalker will do apart from staring at it. Dont terminate FB or whatsapp just for these creeps. All social media accounts have good security features which you have to explore and implement.

Fb and Whatsapp are great tools to connect with loved ones and why should you disconnect it for the sake of perverts.

bron, cheenu123, nolife and 2 others like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well you need not deactivate coz of him..in future,you can put all your pics private and only your friends can view.

Anyways you have blocked him which is good but always feel fb should be only for friends and family.

There is an option to customize.You can actually use settings option as to who can see what information according to your liking.

bron, nolife and Needtobestrong like this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

How to do this??

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Just go to privacy settings and it will follow you up

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I agree with Señorita and Anika, when you know that you're getting unnecessary attention due to your social networking profiles, just make use of privacy settings and make pics and posts and other info visible only to friends or specific groups of friends...
    And be choosy as to whom you add to friends list..add only those whom you know personally and not adding random acquaintances just for the sake of increasing friend list..your cover pic on FB can be some random pic of some place, or cartoon, flowers , scenery etc in which you are not there so anyone enlarges and views cover pic they won't find anything interesting..make profile pics and other pics accessible to friends or maybe a set of close friends..posts visible only to friends...also activate the setting such that only friends of friends can send you friend request...its natural to have curiosity about someone and view their profile to know more about them..sometimes someone genuinely appreciates you and interested in knowing you better, sometimes someone wants to stalk you in a creepy way. You never know. Better to be a private person and not share each and everything in social networking websites..

nolife and anika987 like this.
  8. nolife

nolife Silver IL'ite

yes will change the privacy..

9. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

i am not sure if you are in usa or not. do not worry too much if you are in usa. cyber stalking is taking seriously here.

if you feel he is stalking, you can take legal protective action like restraining order.

yes, however make sure your privacy is upto date. there are lot of wierdos who take public photos , make a separate profile to create all kind of problems.

nolife likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't see it as a serious issue.
    It is very common to check FB profiles of a new person/contact that we come across. Even we women do that.

And it is possible for some men (or even women) to stalk others through social media. But if your profile is secured and if you don't add unknown new persons to your account, then i guess there is nothing to worry.

I have around 900+ friends whom i personally know well. I know another 300+ persons who have sent friend request in FB, but due to their conflicting personalities, I preferred not to add them.
    And not to mention about the whole lot of some 800+ friend requests from unknown persons. I never bothered to view them or add them.

Now, my profile pic is protected, so no one can download.
    And others, non other than my friends can view it.
    All my posts could only be viewed by friends and not others.

This way, I enjoy FB to the fullest to keep in touch with all my buddies, as well as to express my views with others

Don't deactivate FB for such a simple issue

Needtobestrong and nolife like this.