1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Modesty?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear SLN Sir,

You did the right thing by letting off steam about lack of modesty. Self-praise disguised sounding like modesty is the most irritant factor to digest rather than people who directly boost about their accomplishments. It is unfortunate we need to invoke the names of people who were born at least 80 years back, if not earlier, to talk about modesty.

Leading a simple life despite incredible wealth, avoiding pomp and show in weddings, not possessing wide variety of cars as pride, not making a rich child to run a corporation without him going through a rigorous training through the management hierarchy, etc. are some of the examples we rarely see nowadays. Unfortunately modesty has become synonymous with poverty or lower middle class.

2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Such humility is a thing of the past and a distance dream in future.What Iam concerned is the absence of humility even in middle class families.They brush aside their humble beginnings as a stray incident and flaunt their possessions in a despicable manner.This unfortunately gets passed on to children thus creating a class barrier among them.
    Thanks-SLN

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    ""With pardonable pride ""was the prefix many used earlier while sharing their modest achievements with others.I dont find many using this expression nowadays. Yearning for approbation and accolades is the possible explanation in many cases while making the other feel small is the favourite pastime of the mean and ugly.
    What makes it worse is that we cant express our anguish but politely join the clappers.
    Regards-SLN

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Modesty just as courtesy is good thing and many have this virtue in them. MMS and LBS were definitely the known examples. But then these viruses are likely to be misunderstood and exploited. MMS is being criticised for remaining calm when he was supposed to have spoken and no one will understand that he did try to speak up or even relinquish the post of PM but then something, may be a feeling of gratitude stopped him which allowed to be exploited. Ditto for LBS. Nehru nominated him because he was sure he will hand over the reign to IPNG when time comes.
    And then Mukesh Ambani spends Crores in his children weddings and no one complains. Above all that money was redistributed.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I know this other gentleman who enjoys reading, going for walks, and feels lonesome in his own household, because there are no other men -- his wife and five unmarried daughters are the only other occupants of the home, and the constant squeak of women's voices hit him when he opens the door to his study. He sits alone, annoyed at all the girlish goings-on, and worries -- because he hasn't saved enough dowry money to marry off even one of these daughters. However, he has this sanguine purpose in life: "For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?” [from Pride & Prejudice]
    Come on out here, and post whatever you feel like.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear HariLakhera,
    The narrative is taking an unexpected turn.The reason why I brought MMS and LBS was that they are well known for their simple living and high thinking.What I want to highlight is the exhibitionism of the middle class millionaires who have risen from humble beginnings by sheer merit and hard work but fall a prey to the temptation of flaunting their acquisitions.As for Mukesh Ambani -you are right that there was employment and redistribution of wealth.But what about the borrowed aristocracy displayed by middle class millionaires in marriages and paying EMI for years after the marriage.I am not suggesting voluntary poverty practised by Azim Premji who is worth$15 billion and pledged 50% of his net worth to charity.Here I have to repeat my facourite quote of Sudha Murthy"I always tell every one to lead a simple life and listen to their conscience,.The beauty of a person lies in simplicity and confidence;so live for yourself and not for others"
    Thank you for motivating me to revisit the pent up thoughts on the subject.
    Regards-SLN

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.SLN