Quick Chicken Biriyani - From Rotisserie Chicken

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by Amulet, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

upload_2019-1-26_13-18-6.png
    On a recent evening I had a nice dinner with some friends. Game hen legs were served as an appetizer. I talked to the waiter to find out where they get that meat.... and he was kind enough to enquire the chef and they gave me the address of an outlet.

At the table we got discussing how dark-meat is preferred in most countries, sold for a higher price, and comes out tastier in dishes. However Americans prefer to use chicken breasts, and toss the dark meat as a by-product. It is often exported to other countries at a reduced price. To Mexico, to african countries, and anyone else who'd have them.

Poultry farmers in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu are an enraged lot after the external affairs ministry's proposal to allow duty-free imports of chicken legs from the US, because they say it would lead to dumping of an item that Americans usually discard.
    "Duty-free imports of chicken legs at highly discounted prices from the US would cripple our domestic poultry industry and affect maize growers too," said P Chengal Reddy, secretary-general of the Consortium of Indian Farme ..

Read more at:
    //economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/40252843.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

2. Agraraian

Agraraian New IL'ite

Dark meat is definitely more fatty and flavoursome but preference varies with culture - Africa and the Caribbean also have a love of chicken leg and thigh. Many countries love a whole chicken roasted or spatchcocked on the grill. As for importing poultry - I just don't see why it is necessary when each country needs to learn to feed itself and it would be a great opportunity for work and livelihood for locals. Imported meat has been frozen and refrigerated and is usually devoid of flavour. Also America exports alot of corn and soy for poultry feed which controls the market and there is very few alternative feed options which keep prices high and erode profits. Local poultry farmers like those in AP need the support of local consumers - shoppers like you and me who will seek out what is available locally as much as we can. I get my veg from a man who is a local grower and he fills my house with so much fresh pumpkin, leek, onion, kale, cabbage tomatoes and fresh eggs that I am almost vegetarian at times to avoid waste :)

3. radhapillai

radhapillai Senior IL'ite