1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indipop Throwback

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Gauri03, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Remember Thanda Thanda Pani? Baba Sehgal's desi version of Vanilla Ice's 'Ice Ice Baby'? Shirtless Milind Soman in Alisha Chinai's 'Made in India'? :hearteyes:

Lucky Ali with kohl lined eyes crooning by the great pyramids? Falguni Pathak? Shaan? Indian Ocean? Songs that made your teenage heart go dhak dhak with excitement? : )

While we'd had the odd aberration in the Runa Lailas and Nazia Hassans of the 70s and 80s, when it came to popular music, for decades Bollywood was it. That is until the 90s. As India's first cable-TV generation stepped into its teenage so did non-filmi Indian music. MTV and Channel V paved the way for homegrown bands and music videos, and Indipop had its defining moment. The music of that era was a seamless fusion of poetic lyrics set to dulcet melodies and catchy beats yet not entirely removed from its classical underpinnings. Many of us navigated the 90s with stars in our eyes and these songs on our lips.

This thread is a trip down memory lane to relive the heydays of Indian pop music.

As always, a gentle request to post one song per post and to try to personalize the song by sharing trivia or thoughts/memories associated with it.

shubhrata, ano, SinghManisha and 6 others like this.
  2. Gauri03

Since I started with the mention of Baba Sehgal it is only fair he gets to open the tally. In many ways he was India's first rap star, in the days when Yo Yo Honey Singh was still in his nappies. A friend of mine brought a boombox and cassette tape of his album Thanda Thanda Pani to school and we spent many a late school afternoon, post-bell of course, listening to the song. None of those women will admit to listening to Baba Sehgal now, but snooty convent girls that we were, we weren't above enjoying some catchy desi rap in middle school. We actually transcribed the lyrics and memorized them! There was a time I could rap the whole song. :D

The song is a pretty blatant reproduction of Vanilla Ice's song, Ice Ice Baby which itself was a rip off of Queen's unforgettable 'Under Pressure'. The starting beat of the song is the stuff of pure nostalgia!

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Aaah, I am in such an good mood this evening. We went out for pizza, and I am watching live the whole country of India rejoicing the return of our braveheart Abhinandan on TV and we just finalized plans for summer, and now this thread. I am seriously happy today :)

Those of us listening to Indi Pop we considered part of the cool girls gang. Kumar Sanu was too cheesy and indi pop was sophisticated. That's how we thought of ourselves. And oh, those handsome male models :-o Jas Arora, Milind Soman, Arvin Tucker, Diwakar Pundir... all these guys that featured in those videos were every teenage girl's dreamboy. I was no different. So many are coming to my mind as favorites, but I would like to start off with this -

Boom, boom
    mere seene ke dhadkan ko sun
    mere saason ko tere hi dhun
    haan boom boom

The little past life memory story conveyed in the remixed version of the great Nazia Hassan's disco number by Biddu, starring the awesomely handsome Bikram Saluja and the beautiful Anupama Verma.

This is the first one I discovered and I used to wait for that one channel called ATN that used play a set of these songs, the same set every single day and my sister and I would wait eagerly. This is the song that led me to discover the awesome Nazia Hassan.

Great thread, Gauri :)

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Baba Sehgal is soooo funny. There was this other one of his "Manjula Manjula Manjua Manjula", where he is a mad scientist and experiments to create a beautiful girl. I used to love that one and my sister hated me for it :-D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Shanvy, SinghManisha and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Gauri03

ROFL! How can I forget Dr Dhingra! My brother used to sing it to annoy me.

Pee hai thodi maine whiskey Manjula, Pee kar jaan gale mein atki Manjula...:lol:

SinghManisha likes this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Aaah, yes. Dr. Dhingra. :-D Too funny!!!

7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Haaannn, this is that "F lady" I meant! :sweatsmile: Lol. BTW what's gotten into you, so many music spaces already! :grinning:

I'm glad for this one too, brings back the sweet memories of growing up with MTV. Good ol days! Thank you for the thread. :sunglasses:

Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. :p I swear I am not ignoring my other threads. Will post and acknowledge all posts tomorrow. :beer-toast1:

kaniths likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

First thing that comes to my mind is... the Jumpin' juice ad! :lol:

Lol. Verve magazine had a recent feature about him, read it if you haven't yet (Mapping The Unique Trajectory Of Baba Sehgal's Success). Hasn't changed much, still that same awesome guy! Dil dhadke mera dil dhadke...! :kissingheart:

It was Apache Indian for me, back then he was a cool rapper! :laughing:

SinghManisha, Gauri03 and corrosion like this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03 ,

This thread brought a big smile on my face as it brought to the fore some old memories. Those days, TV music channels played an important role in my life in helping me manage my over active toddler who was a fussy eater.

I loved this song in particular because of the melody and the lovely girls in traditional half-sarees. Do you remember this song?

Shanvy, ano, SinghManisha and 3 others like this.