1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Lizard Again!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In Mexican resorts (like Cancun) one could get Iguana served up as a stew. A specialty since times of Mayans. "Tastes like Chicken" would be the usual review. Number of recipes are available on the web.... from the usual spicy red-hot variety, to cooking in the typical Mayan chocolate mole sauce.

In an old Australian movie "Walkabout", an aborigine-boy saves a couple of lost white children on the outback deserts -- feeds them grilled iguana. Lizards are life savers too.

This one.. we must chalk it up to a lover's hyperbole. Spiders do it all the time, and they also drop a rope and rapel like a mountaineer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Thank you for your response. I would like to indulge one more time in giving some more interesting facts about Lizards.

1) Only those who observe closely would notice Lizards breathing style with its throat and stomach moving up and down while it looks forward to a prey. May be the Lizards visualize having a happy lunch/dinner before they find the prey.

2) Those who happily live around Lizards know that Lizards provide services to the humanity by making their home insects free. They literally takeover the pest control though they don't get paid for their services.

3) Isn't a pleasant sight to watch them releasing the vacuum underneath one of their foot in order to move vertically or upside down? I wonder what would be the view when they move around upside down? Only in movies, we can see upside down views when cameras are rotated around.

4) Who can't fall in love with their beautiful eyes having a panoramic view from up above? I don't blame you for your love for Lizards.

Viswa

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet
    :anguished: You mean to say that iguanas are not safe in Mexico? I'll then support Donald Trump's proposal to build a wall between US and Mexico. It must be hell of a job to clean up and make iguana stew!
    upload_2019-2-21_14-58-6.jpeg

Amulet likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

@Viswamitra
    I have almost a similar breathing style. Probably old age bestows this special breathing characteristic on us!
    A friend of mine who proposes to start pest control service here and is looking out for a suitable name. I must about the lizard to him.
    So I am not as mad as people take me to be! The time has come for lizard lovers to unite!

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Here is the link to the movie "Walkabout".
    See if it can launch in your country.

6. Cheeniya

@Amulet
    Nice movie. Thanks for sharing it. I saw it with my granddaughters who acted as my hearing aid! They too loved the movie.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am happy you watched it with children. I bet they would've asked you questions about the native Australians.

That movie got an additional ooomph of publicity, because of Evonne Goolagong who had won the Wimbledon Women's Singles trophy just about the same time the movie was making its international releases in various countries in the early 70's. Prior to Evonne G., the Australian native peoples were not considered much of a people by anyone in the world.

Cheeniya likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Evonne Goolagong!
    Who can forget her?I was in love with her for several long years!

9. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

After long long time i am logging in Indusladies forum past few days to catch up with my lost interests. As soon as i clicked non-fiction, I clicked the senile ramblings, believe it or not, I first saw the "The Lizard Again" title and clicked it. As i had always followed all your ramblings, the most i remember is your lizard liking. whenever i see a lizard in my home i always remember you and about the lizard darshan during vaikunta ekadhasi.

I am with on the liking part of lizard but not others in my home. Lizard families were there in my kitchen. My mother-in-law was so frightened it would some day fall in our food stuffs. finally last year i had to resort to some lizard sticking pads, find their paths, hiding places, one by one i placed and caught all of them. But i could not just throw away them like that. I am the one like them, pity them, so used to take the sticky pads out, (after reading all the instructions to release them) with few spoons of oil. Place those pads under the plants, pour some oil near their legs to release them from the pad, sometimes helping them with a stick to part them from the pad.

Manjukps