1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Never Say Goodbye

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

People come to the railway station to send off relatives. They come early, and take part in seat-occupying, standing around on the platform near the window, and generally blocking anyone else from occupying the site of direct view to their departing relatives. Buying and eating samosas and chai with conversations from the platform through the window would happen for the first hour or so. After that, there would be long uncomfortable stretches of quiet, with people's neck sinking into their shoulders, or chins resting on their chests -- the departing party wishing that the people on the platform would just go home, and the other group wishing that the railway moved the darn train on time, instead of the usual two or three hours late.

Eventually the departure would be such sweet joy for both groups.

satchitananda and Cheeniya like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That, Amulet, was a perfect word picture that evoked the very scene before my eyes. :) That, however, typifies the world of adults, filled as they are with formalities. The world of kids is, however, very different. I can see two scenarios to typify the kids that have to say good bye to visitors.

1. Favourite aunt/uncle/relative: They will be bawling their eyes out, begging them not to go. I remember visiting a French family in the Alps. They had two kids. They grew so fond of me in the two days I was there and when I left, the little fellow (around 5) was bawling away. He even gave me a lovely gift he had made with his own hands.

I have been told this story of the BH as a 3 year old. When leaving the uncles and aunts asked him whether he would go with them to Delhi. The poor innocent went and packed his aluminium box (not unlike those school boxes of old) with one pair of shorts and shirt and got ready to leave with them. And then they did not take him. My heart went out to that child who was cheated.

2. Pain in the you know where aunt/uncle/relative: They will be very delighted and refuse to go to station. If forced by parents, they would probably go to the station, sit on a bench, head between the hands, bored expression on the face, swinging legs forward and backward and looking here and there. The departing relative would be the last thing on their minds. Some other exciting event on the platform would probably evoke their fancy!

Cheeniya and Amulet like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Every culture suffers goodbyes; here is a video for you to enjoy:

satchitananda likes this.
  4. satchitananda

:roflmao: I am sure Minnesotans would feel very 'at home' in India and vice versa.

5. satchitananda

Viswa, I am so bad at anything to do with computers (except to sit and hammer away at the keyboards here on IL) that I would be hard pressed when it comes to getting rid of the encryption and figuring out the real message. Seriously, though, you are right. A few of these extremely painful goodbyes (or hurtful behaviour from near and dear ones) and one starts withdrawing from such contacts.

I have just started realizing that after so many years of enforced solitude, I now find it extremely physically and mentally exhausting when I spend time with people. Not that I don't like them coming, rather I would love to meet my dear friends, cousins ..... but I guess I have lost the habit of talking so much. A few decades ago, I'd love people coming home and then when I set up home, I'd be over the moon and go out of my way to cook a variety of stuff for visitors. Don't know if this helps the process of disencryption any or whether it is just simply the result of physical limitations and mental laziness.

Viswamitra, Cheeniya and shyamala1234 like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    I am late.
    Some good byes really painful..... When our near dear ones leave this world. Though we recover as time passes the blankness is always there. Other farewells... We come over. Some are just formalities.
    When I am in a mood to entertain, cook good food people do not come. When not in mood to entertain we have to. That is frustrating and exhausting.
    I cannot imagine you as an old queen but a princess. Somebody was mentioning it already.
    Syamala

satchitananda likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Dear Shyamala,

Thanks ever so much!

Yes, that is Murphy's law at work.