1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Memories Of Working Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Once in an interview I recruited a woman for her wonderful answer. I asked her how she claims to have four years experience where as she was employed for less than three years. Her reply was “ daily I had put in four hours overtime sir”
    Thanks & Regards.

satchitananda, iyerviji and Reesha like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:In cases of God appearing or granting apparition to a person, the best boon to ask seems to be:
    “LET ME BECOME YOU & u become “I”. “
    If this boon is granted the person turned God will never have to worry about commuting to office and need of physical energy. But will have to worry about managing the entire universe or cosmos which might need energy of astronomical proportion.
    Thanks and Regards.

satchitananda and iyerviji like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Thanks Reesha

4. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

I started working right after my college and worked my entire pregnancy taking work from home ( high risk pregnancy). And after 4 months maternity leave and 3 Months sabbatical was ready to join job.

Dh got job n moved to USA was forced to quit job. Now sahm. Though it's nice to raise my son being there for him, I still miss going to work so much.

iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Good one vijima....

iyerviji likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello:PERHAPS you reminisced the day being the retirement day several years ago.
    2. Mere reading of your simple yet elegant text sure to transport the reader to those days when ladies managed riding two horses simultaneously one for home and the other for livelihood and men raced even sprinted to commute via one or more modes of transport with bags of plastic or echolac briefs. Thanks for your post.
    3. During railway strike for 21 days in June or July 1974, it was interesting to see the then Bombay Roads. Many really commuted by various moods including handcart, bicycle, in open trucks tankers, men and women lifting fellow employees over there heads to land them on huge trucks eastern and western Express highway filled with bumper to bumper traffic. Many of my staff used to land in office at 4 PM sign the muster and leave at once back home.
    4. Commuting is entertaining for some and harrowing for some other. I have seen pregnant ladies commuting till the hour of delivery in transit.
    5. In office atmosphere staff in their traditional sarees and dhoties- mahatashtrian style performing pooja sathyanatayana followed by food and cultural programmes, bhajans in moving locals and minibuses, reading novels and news paper on regular basis on the way to office and home, losing purse and briefs, pickpockets getting got and bystanders happily whacking them, hitch hiking, all were good .
    6. In a large hall many staff would open at lunch hour their lunch tiffin boxes and the surrounding air filled with aromas hitting nostrils kindling tingling tongue and mouth - their sharing and exchanging food all were nice amusements.
    7. While at prabhadevi office opposite sidhi vinayak temple, once the dabbah wala delivered —incorrectly dabbah to me at lunch hour. When I opened I found a note written in marathi and called my steno Saritha to read it. With lots of smile she read it and that was the moment we both realised wrong dhaba delivered to me. However the food was good and I wrote in the note of my appreciation for the lovely food and my blessings.
    8. Fearing salary would be pick-pocketed, one of my staff used to send in his dabba his salary envelope which he claimed Always safely delivered at home.
    9. With sweat and odour filled local first class compartments in central harbour branch during my commute for several years, i must have read around hundreds of paperbacks novels beginning from Harold Robbins, Jefferyarcher, Irving Wallace, Robin Cook, Robert Ludlum and Ken Follette. I forgot my umbrella kept in overhead rack in locals during monsoon. Several times I reached unscheduled destinations in double fast trains. A local train failed to stop in intermediate scheduled stations eventually stopped hitting buffer springs at VT end of the platform. I was saved by the skin of my teeth. One of my staff on export section, died in byculla station due to the train she was coming to office collidedwith stationary goods train. A man sat my side in train bound for Thana died of heart attack.
    10. While commuting in double decker, i had seen fellow passenger accommodated to sit by young couple by adjustment. That is lady would sit on lap of his cohort!
    11. Commuting for my spouse and I, those working days were full of madhur madhur. Awaiting and receiving spouse after her commute from office at station especially when she was in family way gave thrilling touch holding our fingers crossed walking through rushing commuters.......
    Thanks for nostalgia.
    Regards.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  7. ankitkaran

ankitkaran Bronze IL'ite

Working life is a different essence in life but even a mother who is at home after a break also enjoys the leisure at hand and not rush like everyday of working life.

I have worked for 28 yrs, traveled by bus, taxi, car, metro and also have walked to the office. Working in India and abroad has its own advantages and disadvantages but I have been lucky to cope up with my top management. Had to take a break for 2 years due to my back pain and now I have started working again.

Celebrated my 50th birthday by distributing cake baked by me. It was a wonderful to be a part of the office crowd too. At home it was a quite affair with only my 2 kids.

Memories are never faded it is always a part of our life and when we go back and enjoy we feel ultimate joy. This feeling goes beyond expression when you meet your classmates after 23 years.

I have enjoyed my life and will continue enjoy always.

So live life up to the fullest and focus on the positivity.

8. iyerviji

Thanks for sharing your work experience. Ya taking care of son is more important.

sumalynux likes this.
  9. iyerviji

Thanks dear

10. iyerviji

You brought more memories of my working life. I had travelled by train in 2nd class during my 3 preganancies. Sometimes ladies never bothered to give seat. After the children were born and started going to school my husband used to bring them to the station when I used to come from office as he used to come early.

I used to work nearSiddhivinayak temple. Where were you working.

Thanks for bringing memories

Thyagarajan likes this.