1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Love You In Death

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 17, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Amma, why don't you come here? This was a heartfelt plea that often went out to my mom. I wanted her to come and spend time with me.

What's wrong with you right now? You are fine! would be her puzzling reply.

Do I have to be ill for you to come to me?

No response.

How many people have I come across, who either don't keep in touch with friends / relatives when the latter are fine and then go to visit them when they are in hospital and dying! Or in more extreme cases after the person is dead. Families who are at war make up after a member decides to say goodbye to all the drama! What is the purpose? Is it for closure? Did closure fail you while the person was still alive and kicking?

Does 'realization' happen only when faced with death? Is anyone so ignorant as not to know the certainty of death? Then why not let go when things are fine? Or why try to patch up when things are not?

Thyagarajan, jskls, SunPa and 6 others like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Seen many when they visit only when sick, that too terminal sickness or many times when they go away from this world. Some attend only weddings and funerals. Nothing in between. When they attend funeral they make a big drama of how much they loved, how much they miss blah blah. Why!!!!
    Even some children do that. Who never cared when parents are alive but when they go away make a big drama by doing the last rites and rituals connected with it in a grand manner. Does anyone believe them? No!!!! It is all false play.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very true Satchi when alive people don't reakrea their value. What. Us theuse after they have gone. Some ate there who don't like to call and ask how they are when someone us I'll as they feel they might disturb them.

When people are sick they like people coming and visit them as they forget about their health at that time.

Recently I had gone to see a Mami who is more than 90 yrs whois a widow and staying with her daughter's son who is not married. She was happy to see me but it seems later her grandson told her don't allow anyone to come and see you. It seems he gets disturbed.as he works from home. My maid goes to her house for two hours to help her as her son who comes that time gone on tour. She only told me about mami's grandson. When she was ok she had looked after her grandson.

Present world does not understand the feelings of elders. When they are alive and we serve them when they are not well they feel happy and bless us which gives us success in life. I am saying this from my experience. I had the opportunity to look after my parents and grandmother during their last days.whatever I am us their blessings

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda Satchi why so disturbed ma? Just forget those People.They will realise when they get the same treatment from others.I know people who neglected their parents at old age and after their death they worship the photos.They do Paatha Pooja to Saints to get rid of their sin.Take care

Thyagarajan, sindmani, kkrish and 2 others like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

I haven't seen anyone as systematic as you are in looking after your mother. You did your best to look after her with all her health condition. You did admit her in a facility only when your own health was not able to manage that stress.

When my father died, I was with him 24/7 and we spoke a lot. He never spoke much before those 11 months period of his ailment. When my mother fell down, she was bedridden for 8 years. Unfortunately, I was not in India but did everything I could to help her recover. My brother who lived with her in her home didn't care much to give her medical attention. She passed away in April 2018 but his attitude towards her bothers me a lot. I am not in speaking terms with him even today.

Besides, he and his wife did more damage to my family and myself by ill-treating my family and I always stand up for my family. I asked both questions, "Can I do something about it?" and "What part is hurting me?", I came to the conclusion that I can do nothing about it and the part that hurt me the most is my reactions to how he treated my mother when she was immobile and how he continue to hurt my family (my wife and son). The helplessness hurts me the most. How can I patch up? I know all of us are going to die one day. Some people lead life like Ravana and only with those who have open mind and listen, one can reconcile with. Otherwise, it would continue until end of life like Ravana.

Viswa

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Satchi,

Whether we like it or not, this is the truth. Some small issues bog us down during our lifetime but at their death, we realise that we could have been a little magnanimous. Sadly, even if we choose to be magnanimous, if the other party isn't willing, the issues continue to haunt. I have heard so many people on deathbed resenting some people and refusing to meet them!

'Forgive and forget' should be our policy with a rider, as far as possible!

satchitananda and sindmani like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Just noticed I have made spelling mistakes which is due to typing in mobile and not reading after typing. Now I can't edit.

8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Satchi when I am still pondering over The minds eye you are bringing a brilliant thought Love you (to) in death. I totally agree with you.

Yes I also wonder when one is alive people carry so much hatred but comes and visits with a big garland when one is gone. When they show no consideration when alive, they do all the rituals for year after they are gone. Don’t know why everyone cannot be treated with love and care when in this world. I have made a wish and requested my husband that so and so should not visit me or see me after I’m gone whenever that maybe.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    satchitananda likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Strange are the ways of human beings Syamala! I often wonder whether this is a very Indian behaviour - if you are well, you don't need me, but I shall come running to commiserate or help if something bad happens. So basically something bad has to happen if people have to have time for you.

10. satchitananda

Sad, Vijima. Life is certainly not easy when one grows old. But this is a problem not only with the old people. Even young people are so wrapped up in work or themselves that they don't have time for others ..... unless the other person is sick, dying or dead. Then everyone makes time to go running. Why can't they do the same when the person is alive?

Thyagarajan likes this.