1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Can I - Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by BeautifulSmile, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@BeautifulSmile hire help and meal plan. What I have realized in my life it is not always possible to be patient. So I have found alternatives to treat myself when I get impatient. Some days I just order food outside If I know I had a long day. Sometimes I just take a short nap and allow my kids to watch TV. I have reduced my expectations from my kids and asked them to do the same. When my kids go to afterschool they finish all the HW there. Honestly I have never seen my kids doing home work at home. Can you ask afterschool teachers to make sure kids finish HW.

sindmani, BeautifulSmile and Laks09 like this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I have realized that I always appreciate my child more when I have a break from him and the stresses in my life. Why not plan a personal or couple vacation, while the kids stay with a friend (sleep over or something)? This is just to recharge you. As a long term fix, how often do you hug your children, or connect with them in a personal sense (not just asking about homework, school, activities, food)? Try spending 10 minutes or so daily, just being goofy with them - dance to some fun music together or play word game or something. Believe it or not, this can be done in the car while driving home from daycare/work. The point is to create opportunities for quality time. Stop trying to plan what you are going to do, at home - you can do that later.

I remember growing up and we would have family night Fridays. It was sometimes game night, which is perfect for your children at this age (even if they think they are too cool for it). If we do movie night (which is often), we end up bringing sleeping bags and bedsheets to the tv room and laying down watching the movie and then sleeping all together. This sounds so simple, but it was nice to have a change of place, than our normal beds.

sindmani and BeautifulSmile like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Instant Pot and pre-cut vegetables is the answer!!

Put dal or something in delayed timer for it to be ready by the time you come home. Pre-cut vegetables, just steam them and then all you will have left to do is tadka. It is very convenient. I have 2!!

BTW, your schedule is impressive :-o And for you to find time and motivation amidst all this to go to the gym, I could learn a thing or 2 from you!!

BeautifulSmile, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  4. BeautifulSmile

BeautifulSmile Silver IL'ite

Thank you moms, for all the suggestions and sharing your personal experiences. I hug them every day and say I love them. Send secret notes in lunch box to appreciate them or some riddles or convey some good message. @BhumiBabe ,Every weekend I make sure to have at least one family sleepover. At least 1 TV show as family. They love to play tag and tickling game with me, will never miss this and make sure to play at least couple times in a week.While driving also, I spy game or something. But what I noticed recently is I am becoming more grumpy as soon as I reach home from office. Part of that could be, after coming home too many tasks ahead. I should go back to my original habit of cooking some curries or chopping veggies during weekend. Now a days I more relaxed on weekends running to friends house for parties or get together s. As @mangaii mentioned, expectation - I should not expect perfection. That might be ruining things and I should calm my DH as well. Since 2 days, elder one taking tutoring to little one as soon as we reach home and DH is going to pay $2 for each day to elder one for this. So far its going well, hope will invent more ideas to engage them and get good co-ordination between them. @peartree , thank you for boosting me up with your appreciation. Surely that tapping on shoulder, makes lot of difference.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@BeautifulSmile - It isn’t something you are doing wrong. It’s their age and your workload. Working moms and dads of little kids do have a lot on their plates. This time around I’m a sahm and I still bark and snap at times. I’m actually more patient, not because I’m home but because my son has special needs and I’m more attuned to it.

We keep seeing other women doing it all and peg ourselves to those expectations. Firstly, we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes in anyone’s life. Most people don’t talk about these things. Everyone seems well put together on the outside. Secondly, we burn ourselves out by trying to be the super moms. I used to feel very guilty with a lot of things my kid missed out on because I was working and my DH was busy too. The said kid is a well adjusted teen with no lingering insecurities because her mom didn’t do more.

One idea that you can try is having your ten years old pack her own snacks the previous evening. All those various school and day care meals and snacks take time and imagination. You can put the packed snack bags in the fridge for her to take the next day. She could also help with the 4 yrs olds snacks/water etc the previous evening. Just have healthy options available - pre cut fruits etc.

Be kind on yourself and try to ease your workload by doing some prep work and some instapot stuff like @peartree mentioned.

Once this phase passes and the kids are older, it will get better.

Hang in there.

BeautifulSmile, mangaii and BhumiBabe like this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

This is very valuable message. I have been lately following this and this makes me feel better about myself. I used to be angry person because of my husband's unemployment which really took a toll on my health and mind. Slowly and steadily I reduced expectation from people around me. I conveyed the same to my family. This has helped me tremendously . At the end of the day will power/ patience everything is depleting resource. You have limited quantities every day. The trick to make sure you conserve the patience for the most demanding thing and let other things go. Before I use to stress out about my kids eating habits. I think for me I was leading my life with guilt that I was not a perfect mom like my own mom. My mom used to take care of me so much to the extent if I'm studying she would even bring a bowl of water so I can wash my hands after meals. Every evening when I came back from school she used to have some hot snacks and food ready on table. This was my life till I got married. So I carried this image on my head where I wanted to be perfect. Well my life is not same as hers. It took me sometime to get me out of this perfect mom mode and realize I can never be like my mom. Initially it was very difficult for my kids to see this from me. Now they know what they can expect from me. I can say I'm in better place now than I was a year back.

7. kavikuyil

kavikuyil Bronze IL'ite

I think you are already doing a great job!!! At the same time, maybe just too much in a day... It’s not a matter of attitude adjustment but just process simplification and making it lean. Whatever is not really needed can go.

You mentioned weekend cooking took half a day.. what if u simplified it further.. If you prep everything day before, then bulk cooking session would take an hour if you get all burners going and an instapot.

Use the freezer, food processor, instapot, immersion blender - whatever tools make your life easier. You don’t have to cook different things everyday, if you eat eggs, boil and peel them on wknd - they stay for a week in the fridge. Get an evening routine of sorting school bags, next day clothes ready for all including yourself.. Some ppl plan all week day clothes during wknd. Dry snacks can be packed in 5 boxes during wknd - just add fruits to it previous night. If u do want to do weekday cooking, keep it simple. Use frozen veggies.. meal plan, have a lunch menu plan - repetition is ok. Make it easy on yourself.

Ask help and delegate. E.g: DH does dishes at home and he doesn’t have a problem with it and I don’t like to do it. So this works well. I don’t mind doing clothes and enjoy folding clothes. Older kid washes her clothes herself and packs her own lunch. Younger one gets ready for school in school clothes the previous night (getting her ready in the morning is a big deal)..

I found that we were running to too many places for get-togethers, birthdays during wknds and was stressing us so we reduced it drastically. You don’t have to do it as drastic as mine but maybe reduce it a bit.. I don’t invite people too many times, just only when we realistically can so we can enjoy their company.

And also plan some time for you - some me time and some separate quality family time where you are not doing any chores or have-to-do things. It’s not selfish, just self-care.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    BeautifulSmile likes this.
  8. BoysMom

BoysMom Bronze IL'ite

Hi BeautifulSmile

You have lot in your plate.... If we could group your tasks
    1. House work/cooking
    2. Kids work
    3. Playing with kids
    4. Gym
    5. Office work
    6. Friends time/parties
    If I were you, I would outsource / get help for house work/ cooking or buy home cooked food.
    Don’t overload weekend with house work and don’t skip friends time, you need winding down time too and that would give the energy to pull through the next week.

Note:
    spending bit more to ease up everyday life and stress level is a need for working women not a luxury expense.

sindmani and BeautifulSmile like this.