A Fussy Child's Lunchbox Ideas

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by GeetaKashyap, Dec 11, 2018.

1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Some of my favourite childhood snacks are masala peanuts, peanut pakodi and fried green peas.These are yummy but the downside is the goodness of these are killed with deep frying technique. However these can made at home with no compromise in the taste, texture and most importantly nutrition.

Peanut pakodi (swagruha style)
    Mix some raw peanuts (unroasted and unsalted) with a paste made of salt, chilli powder, green chillies,ginger garlic paste,cumin seeds, mint leaves, cilantro (coriander leaves). Add little rice flour, little besan (gram flour) and mix well to coat evenly. You don’t need to add oil to the marinade as the peanuts are loaded with natural oil.The original recipe calls for deep frying, instead spread these on a parchment paper and microwave for 1-2 mins or bake these in a preheated oven.Remove let cool, separate them if stuck together and store in a glass jar. These can be served as a small snack as a part of your kid’s lunch box.

Another version of peanut pakodi
    Masala Peanuts Recipe | Kadalai Pakoda

Masala peanuts
    Congress kadalekai / Masala Peanuts Recipe

Masala green peas
    Green peas are soaked overnight, pressure cooked and deep fried till crisp. They are then mixed with Masala made of salt, chilli powder and hing(asafoetida).Simply skip the deep frying part and baste these on a baking tray with some oil and bake in a preheated oven till crisp and mix with the required masala.These can be served as a small snack with lunch.

These peanuts, peas can also be mixed with puffed rice (murmura) chudwa.One can also top a chaat or salad with these.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    jskls, GeetaKashyap and Gauri03 like this.
  2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

This is my family’s favourite food,some people add some bajra flour and hot water to the wheat flour while making the dough.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have to make time to read this thread at leisure. Packing school lunches is an everyday struggle. Thanks for the thepla recipes, Geeta. Garlic thepla sounds so good!

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

@GeetaKashyap , today i tried the sandwich chutney and it turned out well. Thanks for the recipe.

GeetaKashyap likes this.