Sabarimala Entry...deeply Disturbed..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outlander

Outlander Bronze IL'ite

There are such cases do exists but court is much interested in temples these days!

2. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

The cardiologist's "explanation" has been countered by many other doctors/scientists.

If safety and hardship for women are the points of concern why are kids below 10 and elderly above age of 50 allowed? Are not those a more physically vulnerable age group?
    You talk of hard vrathas that women can't take? I know of more women who have taken vrathams for years on, not just 41 days.

jillcastle, yellowmango and ano like this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I am yet to read the other respones, but wanted to reply immediately, as am totally in agreement with you. I was saying the same thing. I am totally against male domination, and other several issues is society where womenfolk are concerned, but this is one issue I feel strongly there is absolutely nothing to achieve and nothing gets proved! It is ofcourse seen in recent times that notALL men who visit the temple follow the 40 day rule etc but whatever may be the case, when a traditional ritual which does not harm women in any way is being adopted it goes against the grain to object and cause problems. Whether they are believers or not, they achieved nothing and hope they are made to realise this .

anika987 likes this.
  4. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

For all the claims we humans seem to make about knowing God's mind, God will never reduce a woman to a "female of reproductive age". He can certainly see the soul that is without age and gender, a devotee if not a mother, sister, daughter etc in her. In fact, thinking that Ayyappa's celibacy vow is to be protected by keeping women away is more disrespectful to him than female devotees going to him with prayers.

5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

7. In olden days worshipers visit the temple only after observing penance for 41 days. Since pilgrims to Sabarimala temple ought to undergo 'Vrathams' or penance for 41 days, usually ladies between the age of 10 and 50 will not be physically capable of observing vratham for 41 days on physiological grounds. The religious practices and customs followed earlier had changed during the last 40 years particularly from 1950, the year in which the renovation of the temple took place after the "fire disaster". Even while the old customs prevailed, women used to visit the temple though very rarely. The Maharaja of Travancore accompanied by the Maharani and the Divan had visited the temple in 1115 M.E. There was thus no prohibition for women to enter the Sabarimala temple in olden days, but women in large number were not visiting the temple. That was not because of any prohibition imposed by Hindu religion but because of other non-religious factors. In recent years, many worshipers had gone to the temple with lady worshipers within the age group 10 to 50 for the first rice-feeding ceremony of their children (Chottoonu). The Board used to issue receipts on such occasions on payment of the prescribed charges. A change in the old custom and practice was brought about by installing a flag staff (Dhwajam) in 1969. Another change was brought about by the introduction of Padipooja. These were done on the advice of the Thanthri. Changes were also effected in other practices. The practice of breaking coconuts on the 18 steps was discontinued and worshippers were allowed to crack the coconuts only on a stone placed below the eighteen sacred steps (Pathinettaam Padi). These changes had been brought about in order to preserve the temple and the prescind in all its gaiety and sanctity.

8. For the last 20 years woman irrespective of their age were allowed to visit the temple when it opens for monthly poojas. They were not permitted to enter the temple during Mandalam, Makaravilakku. and Vishu seasons. The rule that during these seasons no woman who is aged more than 10 and less than 50 shall enter the temple is scrupulously followed. The counter-affidavit further states that the Board, being a statutory authority, cannot forget the mandate laid down under Articles 15, 25 and 26 of the Constitution of India while administering the temples under their control. The Board cannot conceive of any religious practice under the Hindu religion which deprives a worshiper of his rights to enter the temple and worship therein according to his belief. Notifications are issued by the Board during Mandalam, Makaravilakku and Vishu preventing women of the age group 10 to 50 from entering the temple, taking into account the religious sentiments and practices followed in the temple. The Board contends that none of the fundamental rights of petitioner had been violated and seeks dismissal of the petition.

interested people can read the full article here!
    S. Mahendran vs The Secretary, Travancore ... on 5 April, 1991

Brevity, GeetaKashyap and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely not. It’s not an 800 yrs old tradition. The temple was an aadivasi kshetram like others in the area.
    Even so, let’s consider the lord to be celibate. A celibate Ayyappan does have the will power to remain celibate regardless of who goes to visit. The other men who go there, probably not.

Women have gone before the 1991 Kerala HC ruling and have gone after too. The main tantris have taken bribes from people and allowed them access. Women have always gone. Only now that it’s legally allowed, protestors are making a hue and cry.

Believers can choose to practice what they want. Nobody is putting a gun to their head asking them to go. They can wait as much as they want. Descrimination of any kind is discrimination. I read the SC verdict in its entirety. You should too. You will make headway into understanding what and why.
    It’s all about perspective. Find yours.

Today is one of the best days to be a woman in the United States. Tomorrow a few women are entering congress for the first time. The biggest democratic congress for a very long time is comprised of women and minorities. Today in my house the discussion was on that. Minority women entering a place where they thought they couldn’t go even a few decades ago. Why not focus on that? Why focus on the most insignificant news when the most significant thing is happening right at our doorstep? So many of us called and votebanked for these minority reps. Let’s celebrate them.

Btw, not all men who visit are kosher. I know from experience that men go just for the heck of it. It’s like a picnic spot for a lot of them.

As a devotee you shouldn’t worry about who goes or who doesn’t and what their reasons are. You shouldn’t be deciding who is genuine and who isn’t. You should only be concerned about your relationship with the lord.

7. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

8. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

Respect your feelings . Felt sad when I heard this news .

When there is a tradition and belief , v need to respect it . Simple.
    V follow dress codes in various places, in temples. V don't argue much on it. V follow it.

I'm married for 16 years now. My DH is an ardent ayappa devotee . He fasts for 41 days and goes to sabarimalai every year. I also fast with him. One meal a day, no outside food, don't go for social events etc etc .
    My DDs 9 year old (twins) they have gone 4 times . but they started in 7 years only. They love to go.

Now in October , after the verdict , they went and came. So much chaos was happening. I was worried and tensed. But still I stood strong , and sent them . They had a peaceful dharshan.

When there is a belief about that temple and God, need to b respected.

anika987 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

General question - In any public temple, it is expected that women will not enter when menstruating. Most women follow the protocol voluntarily. Why can't same be done in Sabarimala if the reason for no-entry is menstruation related "impurity"?

Is menstruation impurity the only reason that women are denied entry in Sabaraimala?

shravs3 likes this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Wait for their turn

yellowmango likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.