Sabarimala Entry...deeply Disturbed..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

This is an 800 year old tradition.Am assuming you were aware of why the tradition existed.The story behind sabarimala.

They never denied entry on the basis
    Of gender.Kindly understand that.

Women are “allowed” to enter.Just women who are menstruating are not allowed to.

There are temples in India where men are not allowed to enter.Let a man try entering those?He will be slippered.Thats where the problem lies.

I am also a woman who believes in equality but I do not believe in disrespecting any religion and their beliefs.Let those believers do whatever they want and live in peace.why disrupt is all we needed to know and why was this even needed?Maybe I would really like to be clarified.If it is convincing and right,by all means ready to accept.

It was stressful for me today and I started this thread.I never mentioned no one has a right to give their opinion but there is a way to talk and write about it.Opinions are always welcome.

shravs3 and Swetha52003 like this.
  2. Outlander

Outlander Bronze IL'ite

Ya next what wear shoes and go in when christians can go why shouldnt we! We are not equal as we hv to leave shoes! its a change too slowly everybody will be accustomed and i wouldnt be worried if SC says yes its stupidy of an apex court to enter and give verdict in such sensitive matter under political pressure! Rathar than equality its more of political beneficial and these women have become bait! Just because women went inside i personally never think its great or they achieved something where history talks! Most and most of the people are outraged that includes even women too if its not that hard and tough rule temple wouldnt be closed to get purified! I was happy when sunitha williams and our own chawla went into space its an achievement , its what we talk over and over again its an equality which opened gates to women to think then can achieve too here just a bunch of hypocrites did something which is not even worth to talk. When women get harassed this people cant show any kind of dareness to bring justice but mere sneaking into temple they think they got equality is a downright laughable and dumb!! With that being said i rest my arguement saying
    "Women sneaking into temple is as downright disgusting as anything i can ever hear of"

anika987 likes this.
  3. ano

ano Silver IL'ite

I know the history of sabarimala, and as far as I know before 1991 there was no ban on menstruating women entering the temple.That came in only because of a High Court order(another case of courts interfering in religion) Actually before 1900s, it was a tribal temple with no such restrictions at all.The temple was managed by adivasis. It was only after tantris took over the temple that these restrictions came into being. There are many other traditions at Sabarimala that have been done away with, like shayanapradikhsna is no longer allowed.Did that not hurt you?

Even for arguments sake, if we accept it is a 800 year old tradition, i am sure dowry is even older. Does that make it right? From your replies in this post, that is a reprehensible tradition that has to be abandoned. So just because something wrong has been done for a long time, does not mean we keep doing it wrong.

Menstruating women not being allowed begs another question, why? Is it because they are impure ? In that case how do you justify telling young girls who are reaching puberty that their bodies are inherently dirty. See, this is why I hate that it is a harmless tradition argument, we are teaching all women to be ashamed of the natural body functions, creating an society of damaged and broken persons. That is harmless???

two wrongs do not make a right. If there are such temples and men who want to enter them, then not allowing them entry would be morally wrong.
    Maybe it was peaceful for you, but for the women devotees it was not an acceptable solution. Disruption is how change and progress happen, and that is why it is needed.
    Again, you don't need to be convinced,nor is your acceptance needed in this case.

Again, if you are stressed, then refrain from posting that ' denying entry to menstruating women is an harmless belief'. You will find that such tone deafness will usually get you appropriate responses.

Our society needs to move out of the 'menstruation is impure' mentality. It is just a patriarchal mentality and comes from the same place as castetism

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

This is discriminatory practice that too imposed in 1991 , before that women were allowed and just like some people are opposing many are supporting , looks like there are lakhs of people are supporting it by forming woman’s wall and decrying patriarchy .... so you cannot say all those are wrong because it hurts your sentiments ...
    If it hurts your sentiments you should not go ... but if some one wants to go and it is not illegal , they have all the rights to go ...

You should read the case details about divorce case , they had reasons look like to grant divorce .... nirbhaya Murderers will be hanged today or tomorrow ,,and I guess the laws have been amended to close the looohole about Juvenile but you are just comparing multiple unrelated issues to this , does
    not make sense ...

satchitananda and yellowmango like this.
  5. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

A scientific explanation by a Cardiologist why Sabarimala entrance were not allowed to Women for years. Though the video is in Malayalam.,there are English subtitles.Some posted in the replies above that before 1991,women were allowed there. That's not right. Women were not allowed from the beginning. And to my understanding that's not because they disrespected or disvalued women...but because of the concern about Women's safety that how will they cope up with the hard Vrathas and then again the journey through the deep woods to reach the Temple. Maybe came from the attitude that women are to be protected... Though the circumstances are different for women now,some people may find it hard to change the old beliefs and customs which they followed for all these years. This is really a sensitive issue...

anika987 likes this.
  6. Outlander

Outlander Bronze IL'ite

Thats exactly right women were never allowed the only allowance was below 10 and above 50.

anika987 likes this.
  7. Outlander

Outlander Bronze IL'ite

If equality is the only point then i need equality by taking reservation off!! Can we?

sbonigala and anika987 like this.
  8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

The days have changed , change is always difficult to accept but change will always happen.

sbonigala, yellowmango and ano like this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Please file a PIL in court with your arguments .. you may get what you want if you points are valid

satchitananda and yellowmango like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.