1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amulet's Coffee

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Amulet, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Chicory sold by Community Coffee (in USA) is the best brand. This can be brewed on its own, or mixed with a small amount of Arabica coffee, as in a 50:50 coffee:chicory mix. If peaberry, you can mix more. Peaberry coffees give decoction with the least acidic components. A 100% chicory decoction eliminates heartburn totally. However, you'd not get the flavour of Coffee in the drink. Chicory simply offers the "body" (ability to take on cream, and remain pleasantly dark) that peaberry decoction lacks.
    You can try out the coffee called Cafe du Monde (made by the french people in New Orleans, USA), and see how you feel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Amulet,

Thank you for the step by step instructions for enjoying a filter coffee. For my own security and safety, I would like to call it as steps for getting a good coffee as opposed to mother's formulation for a filter coffee.

Thanks for sharing the equivalent of Peaburry and Plantation A that we get back in India. Wow! What an image of a roasted coffee beans with oil release. I will do trial and error and try this. All I need to do is to get my son excited on this coffee as opposed to Starbucks.

I am little confused on the ratios. 9:1 is for the coffee beans Vs Chicory and what is 7:3 ratio for? The proportion of Tanzanian Peaburry to Mansooned Malabar?

Note: I found the right word is "rancidification".

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am an engineer by education, profession, etc...
    In doing design experiments, one would do a significant variation in composition in order to allow for the variability in measurements. The measurement method is "taste", an opinion!!

It is likely that one would detect a difference in taste between a composition that has 10% Chicory (9:1 coffee to chicory) as opposed to 30% Chicory (7:3 coffee to chicory).

Monsooned Malabar (MM) and Tanzanian Peaberry (TP) are Arabica and Peaberry coffee types.
    In your statistical designed experiment you would have the following coffee:chicory mixes:
    MM:Chicory = 9:1, 7:3 TP:Chicory= 9:1, 7:3

If Nostalgia Mix (same as Mother's mix) = NM = 1:1 MM, TP
    Then, the two more design points would be,
    NM:Chicory= 9:1, 7:3
    A total of 6 design points in mixes. I would also recommend 100% NM, as well as 100% MM(monsooned malabar) as two additional taste points that have NO Chicory for your experience. Not too many people like 100% peaberry coffee.

You may discover a good taste, that is not necessarily from your childhood, but something different.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

@Amulet,

Thanks for clarifying the ratios.

In the Engineering design experiments, you can see the variables with your eyes but here I need to become an experienced taster of coffee to understand the variables. It is like expecting a rookie quarterback to have 4-5 average touchdown passes each game. Moreover, I am a very obsessive when it comes to experimenting anything. I am now afraid I would drink too much coffee in a day to finish the experiments quickly to settle down with the brand to my liking instead of tasting it over 3-6 months once or twice everyday.

That is why I need the company of my son to experiment it together.

Viswa

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

have fun. If your son has a technical background, he'd contribute both clarity and confusion to your ventures in finding the perfect coffee for you.
    A round robin taste testing is how you'd go about it.
    Keep non-coffee variables as steady as you can.
    Good luck.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

He is a researcher with a Ph.D. in Computational Fluid Dynamics. If I involve him too soon, he will take over the research part and tell me what to do. I would like to stick with my own plan one step at a time as suggested by you. I don't want him to get into running simulations on how the fluid would behave in a certain temperature or begin designing a prototype of coffee bean roaster.

I like our coffee preparation process to be as inexpensive as possible and not become like Editor's Choice Tea.

Viswa

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  7. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Round robin taste testing.... After reading your post i was thinking exactly same!!;
    I'm an avid coffee lover. During pregnancy doc told not to drink ounce of coffee.
    I couldn't resist would drink 2-3 spoons of coffee.
    There is a coffee shop chennai 'amethyest'
    Offers 60 various coffees flavors.
    My grandma is extreme lover of coffee, would roast grind coffee beans from Kumbakonam on weekly basis. I took my grandma to the coffee shop. It was wonderful.
    Thsnk you @Amulet for rekindling.... I think we are lost sisters. You know what I packed for my first trip to US, coffee filter from mylapore.
    Still now no coffee in US can replace original kumbakonam coffee for me .Will try all these flavors.
    Jai Coffee!

Amulet likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

If you ask some old timer from Tanjavur, Kumbakonam, Daraasuram, they will all say that it has to do with the water, as well as the coffee. I think it is just the coffee roasting, and the level of chicory in it.
    When you hit your sweet spot with some magic mixture, you should post about it on the forum.

Vedhavalli and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

There is a youtube video of a guy (in Wisconsin) who has a chaff catcher on top of a popcorn maker that cost him a lot. i would have sent him to the Goodwill store to see if he could get one for less than $5. An old skillet is another cheap way to go. It will get dark after a couple of rounds of roasting.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra