1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Help A Resentful Lady?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Laks09, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I chalked it to either a past bad experience with a professional or the feeling that some people have where they feel MH issues are just created by psychologists and docs to label people. I feel over time with acceptance the resistance towards therapists will hopefully resolve.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09 correct me if I am wrong

I am still confused, and reading different news and articles about Autism, ADHD issues in children across the globe.
    As far as I personally know, such issues are on the rise among migrant kids, specially the ones who lives in the west.
    The amount of efforts and therapy that these parents put for their special needs children is commendable. Beyond this, what bothers me is the very small level of improvement in such kids. I know, many migrant parents know what is MH issue is, and specially everything in detail about the problem that their children are facing. Even then, compare to the local children, these migrant children show not much improvement. JMO

In particular, one of my cousin (who is of my age) showed severe ADHD symptoms when he was living in SL (next to our home) as a kid. His dad used to beat him up, and his mom used to crib a lot about him. I know it was hard, and I know family members back then were talking behind their back as if he has a mental disorder.
    But he slowly improved, and when he was a teen they moved to a different place. Now that he is a successful engineer and very much normal person. They have migrated to the west.
    Recently, I've learnt that his child is diagnosed with ADHD and they are undergoing so many therapies already.
    He says that, he had an open ground and so many cousins/friends to let go of his energy, and be hyperactive with. But in UK, the kid is overwhelmed in their closed apartment with no close buddy to mingle with.
    His screaming and hyperactivity has become a social problem to the parents, but it was not the case when he was hyperactive. He is already worried about the medicines and therapy and more importantly the labeling the kid is going through.

I see many hyperactive kids in my area are considered normal, and their parents do hope these kids will be alright.

Could that be a medical trick????

sindmani and Laks09 like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Not true. Its generally on the rise

Laks09 likes this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

True. When we lived in UK, we had the same issue. No space. Very less parks

In USA, there is lots of outside space in the apartment complex. Free gym, swimming pools, green lawns for the kids to run around. Many new parks have been built recently catering to special needs population. They have different kinds of sensory activities

When we go to Chennai on vacation I don't see any space or parks for kids to run around

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are some articles circulating on FB et al about the validity of an ADHD diagnosis. If you look at the author, you will realize that the person writing it isn't someone who has worked in the field or someone who has done his research. It's just an opinion piece from someone who hasn't looked at the data in the field.

I personally know Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Arab, American, Mexican, French and German kids in the United States who have completely lost their symptoms because of intensive early therapies. Earlier the better.

Someone with ADHD can become a functional, seemingly successful adult. His brain will still be wired differently. He probably struggles with things that come easily to his peers and excels at other things. ADHD isn't just about hyperactivity, its about having a brain that just doesn't switch off completely or focus completely. Even if the physical symptoms change, that processing issue is something that therapies help deal with.

Therapies for ADHD like CBT help combat the focus issues and help kids to become successful. Around me, kids with ADHD or with comorbid ADHD and ASD aren't put on medications unless they are over age six, extremely aggressive or completely unable to control reflexes despite therapies. This is why an informed parent is a better-equipped parent. Drugs are often the last line of treatment but some doctors or schools can be pushy. It's sometimes the only thing that helps. It sometimes makes matters worse. You have to decide what works based on all sorts of factors. It's a hard job parenting children with special needs. I don't know about the resources in the UK. I've lived there very little at a time when my child was too young and I didn't have a special needs child there.

Labeling isn't something that I'll ever worry about in the US. I know there are teachers and peers in the school system who make life difficult for sped kids but most often, kids are helped because they have the label. It's also a legal umbrella for the kids. If a teen gets in trouble in school, having that label and that plan may mean a difference between getting arrested or getting help. If his son had diabetes, he would mention it to teachers, make plans to have snack available if his blood sugar goes down etc. Similarly, if he acts up because of his ADHD, his Functional Behavioral Plan will have something to help - calm room, weighted blanket, away from peers, call mom etc. Again, this is all from the perspective of the US.

I don't think so.

sindmani and Rihana like this.