1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Dec 12, 2018.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

There are posts on sambhar,idli, coffee and tea. So I thought why not write in cooking. I am not a great writer like them but can't be without writing.

In my younger days I was not interested in cooking. My grandma was expert in cooking but I did not learn from her. She also said whole life you have to do cooking so enjoy your life now. Later after marriage only I felt I made a mistake because in my in law's house all including men were experts in cooking.My mil had trained everyone. So earlier for any functions they never used to keep a cook.The whole family used to be in the kitchen doing different jobs. Even when there was no mixie and grinder they used to grind in attukkal and ammi

I used to be very nervous when there are any functions. My in laws family were experts in everything whether cooking, washing clothes or cleaning vessels. Everything they used to do together. I learnt from my husband cooking.

Before marriage Once I put lot of coffee powder in filter thinking foreach person you have to put 3spoons. After marriage my brother in law and two nephews stayed with us. In the evenings everyone used to be in the kitchen preparing for night. I used to feel odd seeing men in the kitchen. My younger brother has never appreciated my cooking.But my elder brother in law used to appreciate. He even appreciated saying that I finish everything dress up nicely and go to office.
    My friends in my office used to like my cooking and they even knew my husband used to help me in the kitchen .So men used to ask who cooked. U used to have breakfast in the office mostly it will be idlies oneof my friend used to have breakfast with me .She used to bring bread with butter or cheese which she used to have and take my idlies.

Somehow I learnt to make mysorepak and even went to two friend's house and taught them . First time when I joined contract bus all in the bus came home during Navratri and my husband had made idli and kesari.

Hope you all enjoyed my cooking story

jskls, Lalithambigai, kcb and 3 others like this.

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Lovely story Vijima :blush:. I also did the same mistake by not learning cooking before marriage :grin:

iyerviji likes this.
  3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed your story as usual viji maa....interesting story.

I always like your writing style as it is simple but full of valuable information. One need not be a great writer to express / share their views. I feel putting your thoughts into writing itself is a great achievement, it doesn't need great English and great vocabulary. We are here to share our thoughts and views, and not for showing our English skills, and more over English is not our first language :)

I always prefer simple language because it makes easy for people to understand what you are saying.

iyerviji and Lalithambigai like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your first feedback and sorry for the late reply. So you also sail In the same biat

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks dear for your sweet message. Glad you liked my post.

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sad that only two feedbacks

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Ha! So you had gone ahead and enjoyed your life. That is nice. Just because girl/woman, no need to be the chief cook at home.

In these modern times, cooking has become less labour intensive, with many gadgets - for cutting, grinding, and doing other preparatory things. We are still peeling some of the vegetables on our own. Or we are getting children to do these things in the hope that they'd watch and learn the other things that happen to the peeled things. However, there are a lot more distractions for young people these days, mobiles, television, movies, fashions, and then the pesky school/college books to study as well. It is a good thing that there are so many easy-to-cook, and ready-to-eat things are there to buy. A whole generation of children have been lost:facepalm: to Maggi noodles; they had grown up imagining that these can be converted into all manner of things.

I remember a TV program called "Can't cook, Won't cook". from BBC. And then there was a program like that on Indian TV with a chef named Venkatesh Bhat teaching someone how to cook in each episode.

I think of myself as a OK cook, both vegetarian and non-veg dishes. I do not like cooking for parties. Six people (including me) is the maximum I will cook for. If there are more, I will get everybody to go to a restaurant to eat.

Now and then when I watch someone on youtube or TV, their cooking methods, and speed amazes me. I can get tired just watching them cook. Like this woman:
    This video is English-subtitled

A lot of people beyond the age of 40 are suffering from difficulty in dealing with blood sugar, and excess body weight these days. Cooking for such people is all the more difficult. Often I think it is easier to be a non-veg eater than a grains-eating vegetarian, and deal with such issues. High carbo diet requires a lot of work to get rid of that excess blood sugar. People who eat non-veg can justify being lazy or a dunce. It is a grand advantage:hmmm:!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018