1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by GoneGirl, Dec 4, 2018.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Looking for inputs on Vitamix blenders. Any suggestions on the model and its use in Indian cooking appreciated.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I was surprised at the first post, because the title was vitamin, not vitamix. Spell-o misdirection.

"use in Indian Cooking" is the proviso that is so intriguing. Are you cooking Andhra, Udupi, Bengali, Punjabi....what ? Or planning on making wet-ground batter for idli, dosa, idiyappam?

In general Vitamix brand is an overkill for Indian Cooking. It is just too powerful, as well as too darn expensive. It is good for people who are "in to" smoothies, and not doing any cooking.

If you are serious about getting a blender for cooking (in India ? or in some 220 v foreign location? ) get a blender or a food processor. Not a Vitamix, or something in that ilk. If you already have a vitamix unit, and wonder how to use that in indian cooking, post the model number, and description of any attempt you had already made.

GoneGirl likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Get the cheapest Vitamix you can find. They are built like tanks and you don't need all the bells and whistles they keep coming up with in the newest models. The prices have come down significantly since I bought mine 6 years ago. Costco has them on sale for as little as $249 at times.

Sunshine04 and GoneGirl like this.
  4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Thank you Amulet, I already have an indian mixie and a wet grinder. It is sort of a temptation i get once in a while to do something that i hope would drastically improve my life and help make a healthy change ( maybe my spellcheck was right, i need more vitamins ). As for the Vitamix, I wanted to know if it's really helpful for dosa batter, vada batter and chutneys ..

Thanks malstrom, will check it out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Vada dough is very thick, and such consistencies usually take a little more of stopping, and stirring when making in a mixie. You already have a wet grinder, and this would be ideal to make a thick vada dough. Soaked urad into a thick dough can also be made in a food processor.

Yes; vitamix is a good unit for making smoothies with fruits and vegetables. You can also get into the habit of eating a multivitamin tablet every day. If you are a vegetarian, you must put in some B-12 into your system every day. Red meats give this to the meat eaters.

If you have a lot of people in the household (>4) bigger, and more powerful mixies are good for making chutneys. Otherwise, you can buy a small blender (or use a bottle attachment to the current mixie/blender) to grind chutneys, and wet mixes for curries. The four-prong blade is wet, and the 2 prong blade is dry (coffee, spices, nuts etc..) grinder. Both wet and dry grinder chambers can be put into an automatic dish washer. This brand is making units in both 220 and 110 v.

[​IMG]