Beginner - Blood In Non - Veg

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by rosylife, Nov 6, 2018.

1. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

Dear All
    I am a an occasional Non Vegetarian . My husband wants to eat non veg a few times a week.My mother prepares non veg at home but occasionally only. When I wash fish or chicken (pre-cut) and see blood , I am not able to eat it after I cook it . what to do in this case? I eat chicken and fish from restaurants or if cooked by others. I am also not sure how long to wash these items? I wash them for long and my husband complaints its too less. Please advice.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I too have the same problem as you are.
    I usually ask the shop to cut the meat/chicken or fish into pieces as much as I want. We can tell them the size and how we want it.
    Initially it was my H, who opens that bag, and do the first washing. He too suggests not to wash them too much, as the taste and nutrition might get washed off.
    But I could not eat them if I don't wash them properly.

The meat/fish looks normal after the first wash, so you may wash them without feeling nauseate again.

I usually wash meat/chicken min 2-3 times if they are from the butcher shop. If they are from the store/fridge, might wash lesser.
    But for fish, I wash a lot. They smell bad, and sometimes I use rock salt and turmeric in water to wash them.

But after washing, I marinate them with lot of masala, and leave them for 30 min to 45 min to get absorbed. So the taste will not be lost.

rosylife likes this.
  3. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

My feeling is more like oh this is part of an animal , when I see blood. Thanks @SGBV I shall try washing with turmeric but more than the smell , blood turns me off.

4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

get your husband to wash it , tell him.it puts you off

5. noire

noire Silver IL'ite

Yeah, pretty icky :)

I usually put the pieces in a bowl and place it under running tap water. And I also use those thin food gloves, they help a lot. But the ideal thing would be to get it washed by someone else.

6. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

I Clean meat using maida and fish using apple cider vinegar . You will get used to blood after sometime. Rinse under water and leave it in colander for sometime so that blood and impurities drain out.

7. Sweetee

Sweetee Senior IL'ite

Wear the gloves and turn on tap let it run thru strainer vessel.. blood goes off , add pinch of Turmeric, a spoon of ginger/garlic paste to meat and drain the water again thoroughly and rub gently . Smell also goes off . Simple . Keep it Easy.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Chicken Tikka masala is Britain's favorite dish. This can be made without buying raw chicken. Dealing with blood, washing, yada yada...

Here is how:
    Buy some KFC chicken in a basket.
    Use a fork, and make some deep holes in the chicken pieces you bought.
    Go to your favorite chicken tikka recipe. These recipes usually have a "spice mix" with ginger-garlic paste. Put the spice mixture with the pierced chicken from KFC in a ziploc bag and let it marinate for a couple of hours.
    Prepare the sauce in a skillet (like your recipe will tell you). Then add the marinated KFC chicken to the sauce, and let it simmer for a while.
    How much is a while ? you may ask.....
    If you do, then answer this:
    How long is a string?

Once you have simmered the chicken pieces in the sauce to your satisfaction, switch off stove, and let it rest.

Then serve that to him. And make sure you extract whatever promises you wanted before you serve.

Good luck.