Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One from the headlines. If you've been paying attention to the news the answer should be obvious. If you haven't then a single search with a couple of keywords will bring it right up.

puzzle.jpg

I'm traveling starting today. Won't post answers until well into next week. In case the thronging crowds of one, or dare I hope, two solvers, need extra time!:D

jskls, Viswamitra and kaniths like this.
  2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Love the aesthetics of the image, neat job there! :beer-toast1:
    :buenrollo::buenrollo:

Lol. Happy travels.

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I found the answer but unable to connect one clue.

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

You can't get rid of this K baby! :grinning-smiley-048: Forever here to bug you! :lol:

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Lol. Good clue. All K's eventually need reinventing. :lol:

kaniths and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Gauri03

Answer to #8432

The standard measure of mass in the metric system, Lalitaji's* kilo(gram), was recently redefined. It was a historic event changing a system we've followed for over a century. 'Le Grand K', or the International Prototype Kilogram (IPK), as the platinum-Iridium cylinder used as the standard measure of a kilogram was affectionately called, was retired and replaced by a definition rooted in quantum mechanics. I will go into the details on Futurology but long story short, physicists have fixed the value of a bunch of constants including Planck's constant and the kilogram is now defined in terms of the unalterable constants of our universe — much more precise than the inconstant weight of a hunk of metal.

Clues: (Left to right, top to bottom)

1. A woman in a plank position: Max Planck, Planck's constant, father of quantum mechanics.
    2. 5k 10K: K stands for kilo, alluding to the unit
    3. Grand Marnier logo: Keyword was Grand, as in Le Grand K; colloquially grand stands for 1000 or kilo
    4. Platinum coins: for the IPK platinum cylinder
    5. Woman lifting weights: keyword was weight
    6. Standard Chartered Platinum Visa: Both standard and platinum could have served as keywords here.

Here's a well-written article on the redefinition from the NYT - The Kilogram Is Dead. Long Live the Kilogram!

*For those who've forgotten - "Aadha kilo surf, ek kilo saste powder ke barabar hai. Isiliye Surf ki kharidaari mein hi samajhdari hai!": )

Thanks Viswa and Kaniths for solving!

Viswamitra, jskls and kaniths like this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

First-round trying, I thought you were giving hints about a Marathon race you are participating or one that's historical and celebrating its 70th anniversary given the double platinum hints! :grinning:

Then I looked for 70yrs aged people who made marathon records recently! :tearsofjoy:

Lol. Took me a while to get to the "grand K" keyword. Hadn't stricken to my mind, then everything fell into place. I also deciphered (or "imagined") other hints from two of your image clues...

There is a purity no indicated in the coins and, I took that for "not 100% accurate" as in the case of the K.

The card has an expiry date (November 2018) and, I took that as a confirmation too, in addition to the standard and platinum keywords.

Also, the Statue of Liberty came from the French people......

:lol::facepalm:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Was that a retroactive fit? If you picked up on what isn't mentioned and derived a clue from that I'm impressed. :lol:

kaniths likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Learned something though, to keep aside what we may know about the puzzle maker while solving. :icon_pc:

Fitness theme haan? Sure I was misled. Had a laugh when the solution hit me finally. Damn you! :lol:

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Lol! That started out as an accident and then turned into a deliberate intent to mislead. :p I had different images to start with, but as the clues started to crystallize in my mind I couldn't help interpreting them in a fitness context. So I went with it to mess with your carefully constructed searches. :lol:

kaniths likes this.