1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Conflict

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Mother of all conflicts is internal conflicts between our well though-out principles residing in our mind vs our emotions and feelings arising out of our heart. Principles are set of instructions such as user manual for our day to day operations whereas emotions and feelings are situational and directly comes from our instant & intuitive feeling of favorable or unfavorable situation or circumstances. These emotions and feeling are perfectly capable of having a profound impact in our mind conflicting with our set of instructions. In the field of psychology, internal conflicts are often referred to as “cognitive dissonance” which is a term that refers to holding conflicting and inconsistent thoughts, beliefs and attitudes.

We are raised in a society that is dominated by the minds and hence we get really confused and disconcerted when our hearts get involved in everyday matters. The life is easier to blindly follow our mind, obey what others teach us and logically plan our lives. However, our hearts carry their own special kind of intelligence that is nonlinear, subtle, intuitive and often very abstract. There is no formula or set of rules that are attached to the heart’s intelligence. It is always up to us to listen to that feeble voice of the heart and when heard by us becomes stronger and stronger creating indelible impression in our thoughts.

Our intelligence helps us give our lives structure, direction, and practical application whereas our heart is what breathes life and truth into the framework of our life journeys. Without listening to our hearts, we live soulless, unfulfilling, and inauthentic lives. But without listening to our heads, we live in absolute chaos. Apparently, equanimity is needed to reconcile the differences between the sound bites of heart vs head. For example, if one sees a person who is terribly hurt in an accident on the road, our head will evaluate the reasons why we should rush the hurt person to the hospital before it is too late and simultaneously review it in a self-preservation mode about the legal consequences that one might have to encounter and decide in favor of walking away whereas the heart might insist that one should help this hurt person as quickly as possible irrespective of the consequences one might encounter in future. In this scenario, the head thinks like a third party whereas the heart thinks as though one is in that situation.

In general, conflicts arise when a) the beliefs and rules we have inherited from our parents/guardian, b) religious beliefs, dogmas or creeds we were indoctrinated to believe and c) the societies values and we adopted growing up. These deeply embedded beliefs may conflict with rational thinking mind that had recognized changes in the world and adapt to those needs quickly as opposed to deep routed belief system. Gunas described in the scriptures have prominent role to play in these internal conflicts as well. The one who has a dominant Satwic qualities may have a significant rational thinking habit but would like to apply the heart in a compassionate fashion to validate before executing his/her thoughts into action. The one who has a dominant Rajasic qualities might have a heart to accept occasional imperfections whereas the mind might aim for perfection, directly evaluate thoughts with significant discrimination and decide to execute without any emotional influence. The one with Tamasic qualities might have a strong heart not to bother anyone for them to survive but their stronger mind might make them become a taker from the society.

How many people we see who believe in women’s right but not happy about abortion and how many are compassionate to fellow human beings but hates LGBTQ communities? Take me as an example in social beliefs. I believe in small government, privatization with limited regulations by the government, properly regulated immigration, limiting the welfare to only those in need, object people who abuse short-term and long-term disability payments, wrongfully obtained handicapped parking when those spots are premium for those who really are in dire need, etc. whereas strongly against oppression of people based on color, creed, race, ethnic background and LGBTQ communities, support the women’s right to determine what they do with their bodies, support rich people paying higher taxes, support economic growth driven by purchasing power, support universal healthcare at a reasonable price point, etc. You can call me right or left or right center or center left, these are my beliefs. Some might be coming from my head while others might be coming from my heart.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

In the event of a terribly hurt person on a road accident there will be some predominantly Satvic Vriti and take the victim to the nearest hospital, another one of predominantly Rajasic just moving away and third with predominantly Tamasic Vriti looking for an opportunity to pocket the smart phone, purse on any valuable.
    Factually speaking all these three person can be one only. Satvic, Rajasic and Tamasic Vrities reside in a common man and manifest quite unexpectedly. The person may be running a charity for underprivileged, doing anything and everything to fund that charity and doing all unholy things in his pleasure time. We have a recent example of a political bigwig who was running a home for homeless or something, is wealthy and raped the same homeless girls he was trying to protect. There was one Ravana a great scholar, a King with wealth and a killer of saints and sages.
    The conflict between mind and heart is something beyond comprehension in a practical world.

vidhyalakshmid likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

You are right about the human being having all three Gunas and move among them from one to another. However, they eventually have a dominant Guna. Take for example Ravana, his Satwic quality was dominant until he got a boon that no one could defeat him. After that he controlled Navagrahas, five elements, and challenged all other kingdoms. This Rajasic quality only made him arrogantly capture mother Sita without understanding the consequences as he believed that no one can defeat him. He had enormous faith in his ability to defeat anyone but didn't realize God will come in human form and defeat him.

That is why habits play a prominent role in determining the dominant Guna. If we keep the company of good people, be righteous in all our endeavors, particular about not hurting anyone, we can remain in Satwic Guna most of the time.

Viswa

nandinimithun likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

There is always a constant struggle between head and heart.My mother-in-law was a kind hearted lady of great understanding. She was an exemplor. I had occasion to discuss many things with her. While following the age old practices of aachaarams and Anushtaanams she would say that her intellect advised her to listen to her daughter-in-law ( me) in these matters ,but her deep rooted faith in her heart did not allow her to desist from age old customs.If this is the case with a kind hearted egoless,compassionate lady, we may guess how difficult it is to resolve conflicts by people with emotional bent of mind or people who weigh too much on the side of intellect.
    There can never be a standard formula to listen either to head or heart.On many occasions intelligence alone wins and heart fails and vice versa also is true.There are likely to be failures both ways.Then comes the Kaarmic influence that persuades us to follow either.Ultimately it comes to the question of 'Free Will Vs Destiny' the topic we have discussed on many occasions in this forum.Whether it is Destiny that makes you listen to head or heart giving the nomenclature 'Free will' , or the Kaarmic fruits that decide your action or we are influenced by both, and if so, at what proportion, we don't know.One thing is sure.It has to be decided on 'case to case 'basis alone and no manual on earth or scriptures would be able to decide the course of action.We may have a set of guide lines either from scriptures, or elders or from our own experience. But situations ,which may differ even slightly, may have huge impact .The same disease, the same symptoms,the same treatment, the same doctor-but one patient collapses and the other survives.Sometimes this happens to the same patient on different occasions.Where is head or heart in such cases?
    The topic can be discussed in various interesting angles giving various interpretations and may captivate many readers academically. But facing problems face to face is altogether different.We have to be mentally prepared for success and failure whether we follow head or heart.
    Jayasala 42

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    In the conflict between head and heart I believe the three Gunas have a role to play. Our genes, upbringing and also the situation in which we have to make a decision also plays a major role.
    PS

nandinimithun and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your kind response. I get really excited always to see your response to my snippets as you add much more value than the original post. Your MIL is a role model and what a compassionate person she must be to balance between her traditional beliefs and listening to her daughter-in-law.

Your words there is no manual makes me laugh, as my wife had told my son over 100 times in his entire life, "you have not come with a manual for us to understand your thoughts".

It is always a struggle between head and heart. Sometimes, parents communicate with their children what their head tells them as righteous and other times, they get overwhelmed with their attachment to their children and decide to tolerate a little bit of drift in their children's character. Every situation is different and unfortunately the heart reacts based on the current situation and circumstances while the head applies its past experience to determine the right action even if it didn't experience a similar circumstances. The bottom line is one can't live only with the head or heart and there has to be equanimity between the two.

I only remember Rajni's famous dialogue, "Nan edha kettu vela seyardhillai, edha kettu velai cheyyaren" meaning "I don't listen to this but I only listen to this" showing his heart and head respectively.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Absolutely. Dominant Guna will be transparent and visible when someone acts in a particular way all the time. Genes, upbringing and also the situation definitely play a major role in our actions. Deep rooted beliefs have effects in our subconscious mind. Many times, we tell ourselves, if my father was there or if my mother was there, he or she would have told me to do this.

Viswa

8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Viswa uncle,

You know my mind and this is not the first time you are telling me some message from the almighty through your snippet. I am pondering over this message for the last two days. Recently, I was having a battle with my heart and the head, after surrendering with my whole heart that I am doing my best I could, I was still left with a strike of guiltiness or anxiousness. Then I saw your message and that hit me bang on.

Isn't it true that even a serial killer or a man who does some greatest sin will have a justification for why he is doing that as per the state of his mind? I totally get you that's why it is important to make sure that we are surrounded by good thoughts and good company. Thank you, uncle, you made me ruminate on this topic for a while and thank you all for educating me.

Love,
    Vani

9. Viswamitra

My Dearest Vani,

I felt very humbled to know that this snippet connected well with your contemplation for the past two days. Mind is very detail oriented and thorough in its directions if we really discriminate the right from wrong but it is limited by our past experiences whereas the heart has no such set of procedural thinking but has intuitive hindsight filled with love. Sometimes, it might land us in trouble but would always be righteous.

That is why I had mentioned people with predominant Satwic quality always take decision using their mind using their discrimination but always apply the intuitive thinking of the heart to approve such a decision.

Viswa

girvani likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

True @Viswamitra
    We humans are the personification of the Mahabharata characters.
    Hundred negatives constantly fighting against the five positives. Eventually, listening to our positive side only will be best for us.

When I was in high school, one of my relatives, an elderly person, told me similar viewpoint of the Garden of Eden.
    It is not a garden of plants and fruits but our life, our inner self. We have a million of goodness/positives and just a few bad/negatives (referring to the forbidden fruit) in this world/within ourselves. When we choose the negatives we pay a hefty price for it.

He also told that positives and negatives must co-exist. Only then we can appreciate the goodness; similar to appreciating shade during hot days and seeking warmth during cold weather.

The inner conflict therefore will continue and must continue. Only then will we learn many things that cannot be taught through scriptures or advice from others.

A good thought provoking article as always.