1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Is A Gamble

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by GeetaKashyap, Nov 10, 2018.

1. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

:smile::smile: list of demands! Here in the UK, ppl talking about staying together without being married and a previous divorce doesn't seem to faze anybody but I can't imagine the same reactions in India. I guess things will change slowly.. I never even realised I was this judgemental bout morals till I landed here.. it's just something we take for granted, before marriage stay in parents home, after marriage listen to husband, good wife being sacrificial and tolerating everything. But in the west, ppl do sacrifice but they look after themselves as well and society doesn't place the same exaggerated expectations of women alone which makes life so much easier.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

eh ? Easier ? Not so. In America, they now have something called Assortative Mating..... like marrying like.

Now that most of us agree that marriage is a gamble, this assortative mating helps win some money in the gamble.

See the following video at 3:49 min. Timer at 227.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

That's the problem.
    If its about just 2 individuals, most marriages would be happy

GeetaKashyap, sneha1985 and SGBV like this.
  4. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

As far as what I have seen in west, sacrifice is from both the sides and hence they get time to look after themselves or their career. Also working is like a basic right of every individual in the west. Whereas for us - there are still some families where in-laws take the decision whether their bahu can work or not and if she can then how many hours a day should she work. And surprising thing is this doesn't only happen in India, these restrictions are being placed by Indian families here in West as well. I have met 2 families until now who were trying to place restrictions on me even on the basic rights of working or what kind of food I can bring at home (I don't eat non-veg or eggs either, but they clearly mentioned that we don't allow eggs at home so hope you don't have habit of eating it :grin:).

Also as you mentioned - If a woman is not open for tolerating everything even her husband's bad behavior she is not a good wife. My story in US - Was almost going to married the last guy I was talking to and after I said yes for marriage he became controlling and abusive. He even asked me to give up my dreams on career and live like a normal Indian bahu. I thought ff this is how things were before marriage, it will be worst later on and so I canceled it off. We have some common people who knows both the families and one day I happened to visit that common family. Even though they know the whole story of why I rejected him, they did taunt me (and I had expected it from them) saying how I should adjust and not reject good guys. So yes, we are expected to tolerate an abusive relationship as well. :smile:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Sunshine04 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  5. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

The entire relations game thrives on showmanship and hypocrisy. Everyone is wearing masks. Society worshipping artificiality to conform and negligent of human nature leads to this kind of gamble. So let us look at the causes a little more seriously.

Samantha111 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:But for whom?
    2. Deepika Padukone & Ranveer are in wedlock today in Italy spending over 25 lac rupees per day and the entire hotel of 70 palatial rooms booked.
    3. If statistics taken for the wedlock universe, only a very small or insignificant percentage of marriage population would be facing issues.
    4. The institution of marriage is ever growing and all connected services are doing roaring business the world over evidencing majority considers this as great investment for their future dynasty.
    5. East or West, marriage at any age is the best investment .whether marry or not at age 40 and beyond people tend to repent - thus said the English bard.
    6. If there is no marriage, imagine the chaos in the world and civilisation colllllllapssseee.
    Glad I am married.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless the married and the unmarried too for ever.

Sunshine04 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    looks like you didn't read the article.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

True Marriage is a gamble. It's each one's blessings for marriage to be successful. Lot of adjustments are there

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:When I clicked for your post, I happened to see some notifications popping out at the top of the monitor in which there was mention of marriage of Deepika Ranveer and some comments of gambling in marriage.
    2. True that I did not reply your link which was more about Indian women are willingly glad and happy suffering under and servicing to husband and enjoy getting beaten by and handing over their salary or emolument to husband. The thrust in the article is that fairly a sizeable population among married women willingly subject themselves to all kinds of hardship and harassment from their spouse. I am unable to connect this with gambling and hence my opening sentence in response begins "for whom."
    Regards.
    GOD BLESS US all always .

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

Yeah that's true. It's almost always considered the womans fault irrespective of the reason in India. But the best way to go ahead I feel is to ignore such comments, grow a thick skin n enjoy ur life. Lots of things depend on ur perspective. I remember being so upset when things fell apart in an alliance before getting engaged. I was so upset n wallowed in self pity for too long, I feel. But now when I look back I'm so happy it dint happen. Cos my husband is a much better match for me that the previous alliance. So I think there's a reason sometimes.. :blush:

GeetaKashyap and Sunshine04 like this.