Learning Python

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Caughtinbetween, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi all ,

Quick question , which site/tutorial/udemy is good for learning python , beginner level ? And which IDE to practice on ?

Thank you

2. Lakshmikishore

Lakshmikishore Silver IL'ite

Dear Op,

Try datacamp,they have some free courses with examples to be done after each topic.Initial few topics are free.you can decide to proceed further..

I personally liked their content and examples

shravs3 and Caughtinbetween like this.
  3. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I haven’t worked on python yet. But I have heard people telling VSCode , IDE is quite popular now for almost all languages

5. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Try Solo Learn app you, it's good for a beginner. It's good too.

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Agree with @Vedhavalli 's recommendation. SoloLearn is an easy way to get a feel for the syntax. You can go over the modules in one weekend.

If you are a complete beginner and want to learn by writing interesting applications, check out - Automate the Boring Stuff with Python It is not meant to teach programming but I still recommend it. It is a practical problem solving book and in the process you learn to code in Python.

If you are a mid-level programmer you can check out http://histo.ucsf.edu/BMS270/diveintopython3-r802.pdf. I used an older version of this to learn Python. It doesn't teach you everything in depth but it is still a great book to get into the language.

There a lot of good books out there, these are just the ones I am familiar with. Also they are freely available on the web.

If you want a standalone Python IDE, check out PyCharm. Though if you are just getting started I suggest you use a Jupyter notebook. It is a fun quick way to write and run Python code in the browser. It is perfect for beginners.

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  7. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

To learn Python, R by self study, go to progamiz.com. Read the tutorials and practise the exercises. You don't have to install Python on your system. You can work out the examples, in the IDE provided in the website itself. Very simple and easy to learn from this site. I used this site only.

Regarding DataCamp's Python, it's more towards Analytics, Data Science. If you want to learn Data Science with Python or R, you can use Data Camp. Data Camp's tutorials are easy to learn. SarcAsm subscription is on monthly or yearly basis.
    You can also learn Analytics, Data Science with Python from the following websites:

1. EDX - this is a very good site, they have most of the courses for free and they will charge only if you need certification.
    2. Udacity - their Nano degree programs for Machine Learning, Deep learning are the most popular courses in the Analytics/Data Science.
    3. Coursera- another famous website for learning data science.
    4. DataQuest - Yet another website for learning DataScience.
    and more....all these websites compete with one another in one of other way.

If you want to just learn Python fundamentals, go-to programiz.com.

8. santoshi84

santoshi84 New IL'ite

Hi everyone..

Haven't write a single program and now I want to become a Python programmer. So want programiz.com helps me from a of Python

Santoshi

9. lakssubbu

lakssubbu Senior IL'ite

Hi

I teach python to high school kids and use tutorialpoint, w3schools, learnpython etc. right now there is a free course ( if u don't need the certificate ) available in edx which u can enroll. this is for absolute beginners.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Lakshmi.S

shravs3 likes this.
  10. sara00

sara00 New IL'ite

Hey @Caughtinbetween,

I would recommend you to learn basic python on codecademy site. Once you finish with codecademy move to InterviewBit for practicing python problems. I'm using it from past 4 months and it's well structured and gamified.