1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Guys Visit Your Hometown/ Home Country If You Are In Abroad?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Hana2018, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I don't know whether a thread is already existing on this topic or not. If not let discuss on often do you visit India or whatever your home county?

The last time I visited India was about 4.5 years back and family acts fo weird for this.

I moved to us almost 6 years back and DH almost 17 years. I did my masters here and once after my master and working for 6 months I got married and again moved back here. Once after my marriage, I never visited India.
    After my extension, I don't have stamping and again up for one more renewal. during my last renewal, I thought of visiting India but last year my husband's project got closed and so became my dependent. We thought it might be the wrong idea to visit India at the time and lot H1 rejections made us scared to go.
    DH is almost there for GC EAD at this time if visit India supposes bad somethings happen if we got stuck there what to do, all these years his hard work struggle everything will go waste.
    recently one of my siblings had a baby I did not get to see her or baby because of our visa issues. My family felt bad for not visiting them at least once a year or once in two years or not attending any events. Always the events come whenever have the extension. I have clearly explained to my siblings that this is my situation. But still they compare me my situation with others and they say my neighbor daughter/son had visited India last week she just got married and went last year and again see she is here this year too, that chacha/ mausi's son/daughter visit every year and all. They don't have any problem why only you. I don't understand why do people always compare your situation with others. People have started calling me selfish. Every time I call the same topic they speak and really tired of explaining. I started feeling guilty for not visiting often. I am feeling my self as selfish. Even I want to visit them often but due to the situation, I am not able to people don't understand this.

Did anyone face the same kind of situation? How often do you visit India or whatever your home county?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Every 4-5 years.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

Looks like many visits once in 4-5 years. I don't know why my family act so weird for not visiting every year.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Every year. The longest I have been without going back home was for 3 yrs in a row, because in-laws, parents, moving states, pregnancy etc. happened and I was about ready to go home even if my parents or in-laws weren't there!!

The last year, have been fortunate to be able to go 2 times within 6 months!! I run away to India at every opportunity I get.

5. Hana2018

Hana2018 Bronze IL'ite

Lucky you :blush:

6. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Most of our friends including us visit India at least once in two years. I am talking about families with two kids with no visa issues.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    sindmani and SinghManisha like this.
  7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I think visa situation dictates a lot about the ability to go back home. We are fortunate in not having to deal with the stress that usually comes with visa status/stamping etc. My frequency of going back would have probably been different as well, if I was bound by visa restrictions (although I would not have taken to it as maturely and kindly as you have!!!). A few of my friends are facing that issue now, of not being able to go home due to visa fears.

I think folks back in India do not understand these complications. So there's only so much explaining you can do!

sindmani and poovai like this.
  8. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Once every two years. The longest not having gone is 4 years.

sindmani likes this.
  9. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

I used to visit once in every 1.5 years and used to get the same complaint.

It is hard to explain the visa issues and things connected to it. Also people can't relate until they are in your situation. So don't take it personally. If they come up with chacha ,mama, etc tell them "i wish if I were lucky as them!!"

Whenever you get chance plan well and make your visit a memorable one.