1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In-laws Visit - A Disaster

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by aamrapali, Oct 20, 2018.

1. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

In-Laws visit in USA

After decades, in-laws STILL cannot accept our marriage or me. I stay away for the most part. IF we have to come together face to face, I try to keep it basic civil dignified and respectful. My last BIG interaction with them was when we took them on a luxurious hill station resort vacation for a week. I spent 2 months planning this trip and convincing my husband to spend generously. That we could adjust the money by cutting down eating out for a whole year. Their response to my effort and generosity - SILENCE.

When they visited us in US for the first time, it did not go well and I was angry. Since that time, I have changed - evolved, grown more mature, understand things differently and perceive things differently. So I have been inviting them for years but they don't come. They want their son, my husband, alone to visit them in India. If I do accompany him, I am used like a cook, paraded before his relatives, each taking turns to humiliate insult and put me down.

My husband skipped a visit so they decided to visit us here. I was happy because I want them to see us - see our married life - celebrate our togetherness, our home, our life and return with good memories. I wanted everything to be JUST PERFECT.

Since the day I knew they were visiting, I spent 2 months setting up my home for them:
    Cleared out my entire room
    Cleared out my entire closet
    Cleared out guest bathroom
    Provided all the amenities in bath and bedroom as one would for senior citizens
    Set up a special puja area for MIL
    Reorganized my kitchen
    Put up nice pictures of me and my husband.
    Put up Gods in every room
    Cleaned every corner of my home
    Even 5-star hotels will not take this much care
    Created a planner for the next several months weeks to find events and activities to take them to from gardens to temples
    At every event and outing I convinced them to wear nice colorful clothes for photos
    I took dozens of photos and shared with everyone including their other children
    I am an excellent cook - I cooked dishes without repeating a dish for nearly 4-6 weeks.
    At every step, I was building life time memories.

FINAL VERDICT:
    Numb silence. Not a word. Not a twitch of facial muscle. Not an expression - verbal or otherwise.

It was if I did not exist. My home did not exist. My cooking did not exist. My outings did not exist. My photo albums did not exist.

But despite this all - i was happy. For happiness is from within. Not from outside. My husband and I were happy. We are very generous people and with everyone we interact in life, we tend to give more than receive.

Every single person who has visited our home here including plumbers mechanics painters have complimented our home and decor. Every friend says something nice. Even the most reserved egoistic family and friends I have hosted could not resist complimenting how neatly I keep my home and what an amazing cook I am.

2+ months into their visit they realized I am so much better since they last saw me in the sense of being more happy and more at peace with myself and who I am and in my marriage. That me and my husband are in a better place.

So they started cranking up the volume - passive-aggressive bullying, mean subtle exploitation, drama, faking, ignoring, avoiding, and of course silent treatment as if I or my efforts don't exist.
    Silent treatment.
    Every day asking for something or the other to bring from outside.
    Daily trips to stores for some food item or medicine.
    Complaining no matter to what lengths we go to satisfy them
    No compliments but negative feedback
    Refusing to come to many outings planned
    With my husband busy with work, I ended up going alone to most places, including temples
    Refusing to engage, to participate
    Bullying tactics like sabotaging the dishes I am cooking
    Feigning non existent illnesses
    Going into their room and closing the door when I am sharing something or talking to them.
    But want me to talk to all their relatives back home on international calls
    And last but not the least - unlimited cooking unlimited meals. I found myself cooking ALL the time handling a full time job.

They went to their other child's home and will return by end of this year.

I have no interest to end this year with their negativity and start new year in the company of toxic pathological relationships. I looked around for places to take a sabbatical private secluded retreat till they leave. Unfortunately, most places are not open because of XMas and new year.

I could do the same private sabbatical in a extended stay. But i have mixed feelings to leave my home to them. Too much symbolism here - it is MY home and i don't want to feel as if I have been driven out of my own home by them. Not to mention $600-$700 and putting myself through change and discomfort while they enjoy all the luxuries provided by ME in MY home.

Because of their age and us paying their international medical insurance, putting them up in an extended stay is not an option. They have taken EVERYTHING from us, last thing we want is for them to leave us bankrupt!

Finally, this is the plan I have come up with and my husband agrees:
    A 10-day sabbatical in my own home.
    Vipassana style
    Mouna vrat
    No cooking
    No cleaning
    No dishwashing
    Kitchen is closed
    I will eat only one meal a day (soup and salad outside)
    I will bring take out for them or they can make whatever arrangements they want
    I will not come out of my room
    I will read and meditate

Thoughts?

senorita2019 and sindmani like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your 10-day plan is fine but there is no need to deprive yourself. Get some good takeout/delivery organized, tell your husband to manage your in-laws completely and carry on with your activities. The idea is to protect yourself, not punish yourself.
    If this goes poorly then take yourself off somewhere else.

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

EVERYTHING is good.
    you should eat normally
    let them cook their food or ur husband takes care of it

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@aamrapali,

I was smiling and appreciating every word you have written here. I can understand your justified frustration too. Many of us have been there and done that.

You have grown as a person; congrats and keep the momentum on. If they are stuck up and unwilling to appreciate, it is their problem. Your husband has taken your contribution into account and you don't need any further certification or acknowledgement from the in-laws anymore.

Continue your positive growth but learn to hold back when needed; this is wisdom and it comes from years of efforts. (I am still doddering here!) As others have suggested, don't deprive yourself anything that is rightfully yours. Reduce your interactions and limit your effort to minimum required. When they miss what they took for granted, they will also introspect. Give them plenty of free-time to introspect.;)

5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Amrapali Ji, please hear me out here with an open mind. I promise my intention is not to undermine your disappointment and hurt but to give you a different perspective.
    The decision to go out of your way to be a exceptionally good host was all yours. The decision and choice to not appreciate your efforts is all theirs.
    You wanted to please them , mark your territory and also show them how well you are doing as a couple in your own home. Nothing wrong with that . This was your own passive aggressive way of getting back at them. You might not realize it but their disapproval of you caused you to work harder to please then. In that sense your perspectives have not changed.
    The biggest down side of putting in all that effort is that it lead to a lot of disappointment for you because they have not acknowledged any of it. This whole excercise has been detrimental to you. Not to them.
    Why don’t you lead your life the way you normally do with no expectations of praise or approval ? Your home should be beautiful, sacred and precious to you irrespective of whether the plumber or your friends / in laws appreciate it.
    Do not live to please anyone. It’s liberating to lead a life like that.
    If I were you I would go on with life as usual. Cook what I want, eat two meals a day at home, stay put in my own resort like home. That for me would signify reiterating myself, my position in the house, in their sons life. Not getting affected by anything and still going on with your head held high. You can still continue being a good host by doing the bare minimum . If it affects you that much ask DH to make sure they are comfortable. After all this your inlaws might still not appreciate you but it will not matter to you anyways.
    I apologize if any of this comes across as harsh . .

Suva203, peartree, SunPa and 10 others like this.
  6. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Aamrapali,

I can feel your pain. You tackled the situation head on, went in with a good attitude, did all you could think of and then some more but the result fell short of your expectations. That can be painful. What I have learnt in such situation when I put in the effort but didnt get the result is to ask myself what did I learn from this incident? What is the lesson in all this that the Universe is trying to make me realise? I think about it, to try to understand and get the lesson and close the matter.
    Resist the temptation to berate yourself and tell yourself you were a fool etc etc. You did the right things. Sometimes when I am dealing with people who I know have a fixed opinions and will not see the reality I tell myself I am doing all this (whatever is my duty, what all I am expected to do etc,) for myself, for my peace of mind, to know that no matter the situation I at least did the right thing and discharged my duty correctly and that helps me somewhat deal with my hurt feelings. When your PILs return, dont punish yourself but do minimum. Do only what you want to do or can easily do, not what you are expected to do. Remove 'expectations' from this equation totally. Your expectations of them, and also your anticipation of what their expectations of you could possibly be. One lesson in all this for you may be that though you crave it, actually you dont really need their approval, you are way past that stage and already happily living your life with their son your hubby who supports you

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

You cannot fix the broken glass. The elders are showing their uneasiness in your territory,
    the way they knew by ignoring you as if you don't exists in their son's world.

Play your silent card, and stay home to do the satyagraha.

Make sure that your DH stays home to take of care of his parents during those 10 days.
    Be the 1st one to eat the ordered take out food, and use the disposable paper cups,
    plates, forks/spoons.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Marzipan and aamrapali like this.
  8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

You have been spoiled all along by people praising for your hosting skills . Your in-laws very well know that you are doing this to get praise from them and guess what they wanted to offend you and refused to do anything . Maybe if you lead your life normally by doing minimum you won’t need to go to retreat . It is all in you how you handle things . Moderation is the key . Why do you want to get bad name by refusing to feed elders . They are your guest . Do it unconditionally without any expectation. It will lift the weight from your shoulder. I don’t understand your approach . We all get rubbed in wrong way in hosting some people doesn’t mean we all run to retreat . You need to calm down and take a step back and change your approach to this hosting culture you have developed all along .

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Poor things. Likely they never had that kind of service in their life before. When such a lot of good stuff is foisted on anyone, they'd indeed feel suspicious, and watch their backs.

No wonder they declined all optional tours when their son was not there to lend them emotional support.

peartree, radv and Thenmozhi39 like this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You went to extremes, I guess for your own satisfaction than Thiers. It looks like you went ahead full steam with your ideas of hosting than take into consideration Thier likes and dislikes.

Any younger couple may have appreciated it.

For older people a new dish every day may not be good idea ...they may craving a simple dosa idli or Thier regional equivalent.

If indeed they liked your hosting and enjoyed all the effort you took , even if they don't express , be sure it would have made an impact and it will definitely bring a change in Thier attitude.

Now once they come back don't go to other extreme , do your hosting but less perfectly, make Thier last few days comfortable and send them off .it will bring more satisfaction to you than doing nothing and acting totally aloof.