1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Me Too?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boby

boby Silver IL'ite

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I agree with women taking precautions who they drink with and be careful about how much to drink. However, what I was trying to convey is one drink is all it takes if it is spiked. Women never come to know who spiked the drink and they become very vulnerable.

NeetaR and SinghManisha like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

it all began as a criticism oif my views on "Sexual harassment" And now looks like it has boiled down to whether women caqn drin k in pubs. Let me make my views clear on this. I am no faN OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT . I want strong laws to curb it. But please fix a time limit .Don't come forward after decades of amnesia that so-0and-so has sexually harassed you. If such things happen complain to police immediately or take that guy to court.

Secomd, the law on sexual harassment passed in 2013 focuses mainly on harassment at work places AND SOME OF THE ACTIONS IT HAS INCLUDED IN THE AMBIT OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT ARE QUITE VAGUE.

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

A PERSON UNDER THE SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAW CAN BE LOCKED UP TO 10 YEARS FOR SOMETHING AS VAGUE AS "VERBAL AND NON-VERBAL CINDUCT OF A SEXUAL NATURE" tHE DEFINITION OF THIS COULD BE EXTREMELY SUBJECTIVE. IN ALL WALKS OF LIFE GIRLS BROUGHT UP IN EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE ENVIRONMENT ARE COMING OUT TO WORK. tHEY HAVE BEEN BROUGHT UP WITH THINGS LIKE NOT INTERACTING WITH BOYS BEING DINNED INTO THEIR HEADS. FOR THEM THE MORE LIBERAL, OFTEN EXTREMELY LIBERAL ATMOSPHERE OF THE WORKPLACE COULD COME AS A CULTURE SHOCK AND THEY COULD VIEW EVEN HARMLESS FLIRTATION COMMON IN SUCH PLACES AS . SEXUAL HARASSMENT. sO WHERE DOES FLIRTATION END AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT BEGIN? THR LAW HAS WOEFULLY FAILED TO SHOW WHERE THE LINE SHOULD BE DRAWN.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

BTW, I AM ALL FOR GIRLS DRINKING IN PUBS BUT IDEALLY THEY SHOULD DO SO DURING LADIES NNIGHTS OR IN LARGE GROUPS SO THAT THE PREDATORY INSTINCTS OF MEN CONDITIONED TO BELIEVE THAT DRINKING WOMEN ARE EASY WOMEN ARE KEPT IN CHECK.aw COME ON IF YOU WANT A DRINK, THROW A PARTY AT HOME FOR YOUR BUDDIES. THAT WOULD BE IDEAL

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Your point is well taken with respect to how there is a thin line between sexual harassment and flirtation. If a woman is uncomfortable about anything said or did once, if the man continues, it is sexual harassment. Conventional women may find shaking hands or hugging a man as not acceptable. Man should respect their views. If they are not outspoken with men, in general, men should not flirt with them. Period.

Regarding women drinking at home and not at pub, why restrict them only to the comfort of their home? Why not men control their drinking without getting inebriated? Why can't they rewire their brain not to hurt a woman? Why can't they work on their predatory instincts?

In general, men are dangerous and therefore, dress moderately, don't drink in public places, return home before dark are things we told all our sisters and daughters at home for decades. The world is changing and women are working in equal numbers in all industries just like men. Why can't we change that rhetoric to tell our brothers and sons not to drink excessively and especially not misbehave with any known or unknown woman?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Rakhii, boby, PavithraS and 8 others like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

:clap2::clap2::clap2: I was about to say the same point but when it comes from a man, it is definitely more effective. Hats off!

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, generally if you want to drink at all, the ideal place is home because out of consideration for the family you will be careful about where to put the comma and where t to put the full stop.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Well Said Viswa!

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

This was perhaps true some 30-40 years ago but not now. Most women do accept some borderline jokes or comments and would avoid blowing things out of proportion. Anything becomes exploitation or harassment when explicitly things are said or done in her presence or her progress is hindered or physical aspects are brought into the picture.

There is really no need to cry that women are out to destroy men. Often women's complaints were brushed aside. When such harassment happened, due to various factors and circumstances many women kept quite. Today they are coming out. That doesn't make them SHAMELESS!

Already I am hearing men saying they need single sex offices in future, they wouldn't want to work with women or hire them anymore and so on. This kind of knee jerk reaction, slut shaming or trivialising humor are uncalled for. In fact, from senior and experienced men we expect a certain balanced analysis but when that doesn't happen, it is disappointing. We expect seniors lending women an understanding ear and advising men to correct their predatory behaviours. In all these days, I haven't come across a single fulfledged article where men have openly said they need to control their behaviours or share decent workspaces with women. This is sad. Why do they forget that we need to coexist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.