Constructing Home In India Only To Use When We Visit..pros And Cons

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by Mylifeatusa, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:anguished: good job dissuading OP from that folly.
    She says that
    < 4 weeks visit means, they can camp in her parents' house.
    and she has now discovered something called "serviced flats".... rented by airb&bdotcom.
    These service flats are mostly owned by those NRI's who had thought they'd own something so that they can visit once a year for a few weeks. And they need the renters to swat the bugs that crawl into their vacant flats.

Non-resident real estate ownership troubles are unique to each owner. People are usually more secretive about those:nomouth:, than their piles. There is an old blues-song that goes "into each life, some rain must fall". If it is meant that one should own absentee real estate in a far away country, there is nothing to prevent that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Big No No ..

There is No point .. Construct when U r planning to settle

In d mean time.. Look for Hotels .. Air BnB .. Service apartments..

3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

See my experience I wrote, few days ago.

Greedy Mil

The more we go on expensive vacation trips, it feels like... huh my home town is just like this, why not buy a property to crash for 4-6 weeks. Some of our friends are bragging about working remotely at night from India, too.

Wrong idea...We spent quite lot of money in remodeling / furnishing the 3-bed room apartment like in a hotel.

As some one said earlier in their post, my family also moved in one after another. In 8-years, we haven't spent a single day/night in the apartment. We were back to staying in hotel for 1-week vacation trip or postponing visiting India. Now, my mom is saying, it is out dated place and you won't like living here. There are much better places than this one?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Vedhavalli likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Quote"If we buy an Apartment and furnish it just with needed stuff..can we have some property management company maintain it?"Unquote

We are recently on the lookout for tenant for our newly bought flat in India. We were given contact of a management firm that manages the renting and maintenance etc for a fee for those not able to see to it in person. I have no idea of the reliablity or otherwise. The link is www.nestaway.com
    You can check it out if it helps.

sindmani and Mylifeatusa like this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

In fact, we bought and sold properties over the years without our family knowing about it in another major city. No problem because it was hidden from the relatives.

The problem is when we have a place in our home town; We cannot hide it from our family member(s). We have to leave the keys with one of our siblings to maintain it / pay the utility bills; As someone said, they rent their own home and move into the "guest house" to make it their own.

sindmani, Vedhavalli, shravs3 and 3 others like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This is so true...
    Fortunately the OP's housing plot of ground is inside some gated community. Hopefully they have good protection for that land. If land is not fenced and guarded, hutments would encroach, and they'd become a useful voting block for some local politico, and they would be pretty difficult to dislodge.
    Family members who become squatters on our property are probably as difficult to dislodge..

Mylifeatusa likes this.
  7. Mylifeatusa

Mylifeatusa Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone for taking time to respond. I really appreciate it.

DH is keen on having a place to call our own india, we thinking if we can buy an Apartment and rent it out after we come back to US.

Please pour in your thoughts.

Thanksm again.

8. Mylifeatusa

We don't have this problem of relatives taking over the home But I'm more worried about maintaining the property when we are away.

9. Mylifeatusa

Thank you. Can you please keep me posted on how things going with them ?

10. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Yes you can. Leave it to a property management company.
    They will maintain it. Ask them a video call or every month video recording.
    One of my rich relative installed a IP cam inside.