1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Health Care In Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gopalan1937, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ragnarok

ragnarok Senior IL'ite

Exactly that!

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

3. gopalan1937

gopalan1937 Silver IL'ite

4. gopalan1937

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

gopalan1937,
    I am sort of curious. Why did you decide to move to USA ?

My cousin, a bit older than me, had worked more than 25 years in USA, has children and grandchildren in USA. She and her H are both enrolled in Medicare. However, they live in Coimbatore, a 2nd tier town in Tamil Nadu. In an assisted retirement community. Most people in that community are parents of NRI's (or foreign nationals on OCI-visa) or NRI's themselves. Many go to the USA/UK/Canada during summer months, and then go back to their retirement village.

She says that the healthcare is much better in that town, and the aspect she likes is the hassle free billing and payments, and pleasant bedside manners of doctors and others in the clinic. When I asked her about direct deduction for Medicare from her social security deposits, she said "pshaww...if I ever go to a doctor during my summer visit, there will be a whole mess of bills again..." She considers her medicare health insurance payments as some sort of debt from poorva janma. She is in her mid 70's, and has borderline high BP, and sugar metabolism issues. She is rather healthy, if I look at her way of bossing everybody about.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Gopalan:

My wife is the only child for my parents-in-law. In 2013, my father-in-law died in Chennai and we told my mother-in-low to move to the US along with us. Even though she was reluctant, she agreed. We have obtained a green card for her within 6 months. But we couldn't find any insurance coverage for her as she had never worked in the US, she is not eligible for Medicare either. I came to know that if she spends 5 years after obtaining green card, she would be eligible to buy insurance under Medicare. Right now, we only get hospitalization insurance from a UK insurance company that pays up to $75,000 for hospitalization and take her to the doctor by paying the full fee ourselves. If we need to buy medicines, we pay the full amount.

She is like another year away from becoming eligible for Medicare. I think the best option is for you to take a visitor's coverage for now to protect your hospitalization insurance. There is a law that prohibits rejecting a patient that needs emergency care in the US and hence most American citizens are unhappy about that law. Many immigrants use it to treat themselves for an emergency care and it increases the cost of premium for regular citizens.

7. gopalan1937

Well Ms Amulet,
    The decision to move to USA was made by my children. They would like us to spend time with them and their children.They have seen us ( me and my wife) taking care of our parents ,all the family members getting together for festivities , and never missing a chance to visit places of interest together. We did not send our parents to old age homes . In fact my mother was bed ridden for ten years due to polyarthritis and we managed her at home feeding her and cleaning up her. She was very cheerful till her demise. I and my wife feel that our children have imbibed that culture from us .

Amulet and Sunshine04 like this.
  8. gopalan1937

Dear shri Visvamitra,
    Thanks for your response. We have landed here with immigrant visa. My son is doing the spade work for insurance.He is working out details and I think i may know the details in another fortnight. Will get back to you sir when things are finalised. Both my wife and myself are past seventy .

Amulet likes this.