Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hadn't heard of Indivisble. I will take a look. MoveOn.org has rapid response protests planned throughout the country in the event of a Rosenstein or Mueller firing. 400,000 people have signed up for the protests. Might not be long before the protests are triggered.

Nobody Is Above the Law—Mueller Firing Rapid Response

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What do you all subscribe to - NYT/WaPo/WSJ or a combo? Any other good subscriptions you recommend? Only I read newspapers around here. Others skim through articles I share with them. My NYT subscription expired and I was thinking of WaPo for variety this time around. Those ten free articles are over on a good day!

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I subscribe to NYT and WaPo (digital). I got NYT mainly for the food and cooking section but I enjoy the entire paper, especially the Sunday magazine. WaPo is a pale shadow of the paper I started reading 15 years ago, but it has some decent writers left. I don't pay for the WSJ because I refuse to knowingly give money to a Murdoch enterprise.
    Other than that I look up Politico, 538.com, Real Clear Politics and Larry Sabato's reports.

Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dr Christine Blasey Ford deserves an apology from the creep we call as the President for mocking her in a rally. Instead he apologized to Justice Brett Kavanaugh on behalf of the country and all Americans. I am hanging my head down in embarrassment for having him as the President. FBI should be ashamed of their investigation. Now, even Mueller Investigation and his evidences will be a suspect, thanks to FBI. The President was only verbally shaming FBI all these days. Now he has proof.

Laks09, Gauri03 and MalStrom like this.
  5. Gauri03

If you have Amazon prime you can get WaPo free for six months, and at a reduced rate thereafter. If the offer is not available right now keep an eye out, it keeps popping up every so often. I subscribe to WaPo, NYT, and a local paper. I get the weekend print (Fri, Sat, Sun) edition of the NYT because I'm trying to get my son into the habit. Online fivethirtyeight.com, Mother Jones and Vox are worth reading. Politico, WSJ, and The Hill used to be good for reasonable conservative viewpoints but those have become a rarity.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Laks09 and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Laks09

Cooking section is the one that I generally skip. I’m tempted to resubscribe and read now. I usually have no time to read the weekend editions. I don’t go back and read either. I just skip sat/sun. I remember the time I used to battle with my sis for the Sunday paper!!

Have you seen TOI lately? Back when TOI started attractive rates and my parents switched to it, the paper was really good. When we moved to India briefly, let’s say we hid the magazine sections from
    DD.

:fearscream::fearscream: To think I didn’t use it all this time. I found it on amazon. Thanks! 6 months free and 3.99/month thereafter.

My DD’s too fav newspaper is TOI:facepalm::facepalm: I should never have let that thing in my house. Ever since she lost TOI, she hasn’t read a newspaper. NYT over the weekend sounds interesting. DH complains about newspapers and the waste of paper so I’ve been sticking to online only for a while now. I will definitely consider weekend print editions.

Why is nobody reading faux news? You should understand how the other side thinks. Add msnbc, cnn and bbc to the list and you have an interesting mix!

Gauri03 likes this.
  7. Gauri03

Now install the app on your phone and activate it. Enjoy waking up to devastating breaking news every morning. That damned app is giving me ulcers but I can't get myself to shut off the notifications.

TOI was my childhood newspaper love! It deserves at least 50% of the credit for my decent performance in English at school, not to mention all the amazing things I learned from the Sunday Times. I feel so sad at what it has become. The online version is an abomination and the print version barely passes muster as a newspaper.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Laks09

For whatever reason, I have to read the papers on my laptop. I take it with me to therapy drop and read while waiting for my son.

Try prajavani. Does your DH read the language? I read often to keep in touch with the language.

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

About Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance and murder in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul - why is Trump's reaction and going soft on the Saudi rulers being decried so much?

SA's track record on human rights is an open book. In the past 6-8 itself years so many men, women and teenagers have been jailed, tortured, and continue to be jailed or on death row, with little or no access to legal help. Way too many names and mind-numbing stories to list. Google the gruesome execution of Laila Basim. Activist and blogger Raif Badawi sentenced to 10 years in prison, 1000 lashes, and a fine. The flogging was to be carried out over 20 weeks. The first 50 lashes were administered on 9 January 2015, and next set postponed at least 12 times due to his poor health.

For whatever reasons like oil or weapons deal, past presidents didn't do much beyond token denouncement. Then, why Trump drawing so much heat now for similar reaction?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Laks09 likes this.
  10. Laks09

I don’t get it either. Maybe because Khashoggi is a WaPo Journo? WAPo giving coverage means others follow suite?

The US has always been easy on the Saudis. Why this hue and cry now? Even newspapers weren’t reporting with gusto about these things.

I’m actually wondering why Khasshogi and Sen Warren’s DNA test are headline news?
    Somebody please tell Sen warren and the news guys that nobody cares about her heritage. Look at the current issues on hand during a very important midterm elections.