1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Playdates Never Materialize..is This Common?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Oct 8, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

1) A mother in my next community messaged for a play date and I obliged.She left her child with me and he kid had fun with mine.Similarly,after two days I left mine at her place and picked her after an hour.My child wanted a play date but that mother told me her kid is going to go full time daycare and so play dates are tough.I messaged after few days to keep in touch but she never responded back then..

I thought all went well and we got along.

2) A mom in my community has a child who is going to go to the same
    Class in regular school.She has been telling generally in the community if there are kids her child’s age to play.I messaged her and went to her place.Then I called her two three times(not often also..once in three weeks) and then asked her to bring her child to my place.She came but left in 15 minuts.I left it after that and she never responded.It hurt and I really thought I did not disturb her often also.

3) There was another mom in school and another in library who wanted a play date for a daughter way younger than mine and I asked her to message.After few times,no message.I let it go.

4) some moms talk very well in face but then no contact.

I know people are busy and honestly am not too bothered coz my kid has lot of friends in school plus her own cousins nearby.

Does this happen?

2. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

I can clearly get it. Why don't you join your kid to some after school club( if she is going to school). May be she make some new friends with similar interest.

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks but why does this happen?

I was nice to them and I tried from my side too..

4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Happens lot of time, when you're new to US or first few years or till you get to know how to interact and how to find people of same interests.
    You take your kid to arts, music or any extra class. Where your kid can befriend and later you can arrange for play date.
    In summer you can arrange play date in park and in winter arrange in home with rotation.
    Make sure, you have the parent with kid if the child is less than 7 yrs.

Whenever I conduct play dates
    1) I have snacks for kids and parents
    2) if at home not more than 2 hrs.

Learnings:
    1) some don't respond at all, leave them after 2-3 times if they don't turn up
    2) pick up and drop strict with timings 10-15 min okay .
    3) don't approach more than 4 kids for play date. I used to think more kids more fun. More kids more troubles. Depends on age factor my child is small..may be elder kids may like more kids together
    4) pls don't bother much. I used to do the same thinking why they are rude/ not responding etc.
    Some have job some just don't care
    Forget move on.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Been here more than a decade and new to this play date thing..

However..what hurt me was this one mother is from the same
    Community and kid will
    Go to same class.She was the one who wanted play dates and honestly I tried from my side but it never worked.I
    Stopped calling her and she also
    Does not respond.It just irritates.
    She is also a homemaker.

If people are like this..how can kids make friends or how can adults make friends?

As you said maybe some
    Do not even care and have their own battles to fight..