Is It Prudent To Get Flu Vaccine During Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sandhya13, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Gauri! I just checked with my son's pediatrician office and my OBGYN office. We are going to get preservative/mercury free shots. So I am going for it.

Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Is there any reason for this? @Sunshine04
    Just asking..

3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for sharing your thoughts @Rakhii
    I understand what you are saying. I had similar thoughts too when I was pregnant with older one. And yeah I am not anti vaccine.
    Just this time around I am more worried about exposure for both DS and me. The last year flu stats scared me a bit too.

4. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

Not related to OP's question but to share something related to ^ that made me double-think essential oils. About three years ago, I started heavily reducing chemicals at home (e.g. cleaning solutions, perfumes, cosmetics, hair-care, body-care) looking for simpler DIY replacements (as natural as possible, fewer chemicals) or skipping them altogether for each category. My cleaning solution because the famous vinegar + baking soda + some essential oil and I started a small collection of essential oils. I also used two drops of essential oil within the humidifier when my baby boy was suffering from a stuffed nose. But earlier this year when I read this news article, I stopped using essential oils:
    Essential oils 'make male breasts develop'
    I haven't had the time to do my due diligence and read exactly all the pros and cons of essential oils and authenticity of various brands. Felt it simpler to avoid. Just sharing.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

We have mandatory flu vaccine requirement at work. I saw several pregnant ladies waiting in line with me, so it is safe to take during pregnancy. However in any given year the efficacy of the vaccine varies and it is not perfect but it can reduce the severity if you end up getting the flu.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@alady2018 , Yes, its always better to do your due diligence before we blindly follow any route, especially when it relates to health. Rest assured, essential oils, when properly administrated have more positive benefits than negative (I read that some kids react to essential oils in the form of asthma; though I am yet to see one in all the years of being actively involved in it).