1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For Today, You Are All I Want

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rakhii, Sep 19, 2018.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I loved it..I'm a great fan of middle age love story and yours is awesome.

Rakhii likes this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

thanks love. I like all your stories too :)

3. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I don't write much on ILs but just being a reader. @Rakhii your post tempted me to reply
    I'm a big fan of matured love story. Beautifully written.
    Gander,Newfoundland,Canada the tiny airport opened up during 9/11 attacks. Your story seem to have a similar background of landing in Scotland.
    I feel you should start looking for publishers and do it full fledged. Amazing skill. Once again such a wonderful story.

Rakhii likes this.
  4. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

I have known story writers in my college literary club who felt cheated when the reciprocation was not proportionate to their endeavor. You had written a cross-continental romance. On that pretext, I can be forgiven for my voluble and enthusiastic comment having read your carpe diem-styled being-of-age story. You deserve a (long-haul) comment! But I will try to keep it short.

Roci and Ram are endearing in their suave romance. They are not laying their soft feelings for each other on thick and wrestling with upfront commitments. They belong to that tribe who would probably tick "let's see what happens" over "vows and marriage" as their preferred companionship on a dating portal.

I favour such credible and laidback romance in which couples drawn by attraction are not unnerved by hamfisted desire to sustain what exists between them with no steady farsightedness. Let's see what happens or in your words ..whether they ever will meet again. But the misgivings should not dissuade noncommittal aspirants to experience cheer and happiness with someone they deem to be of bright and loving influence on them even if that is fleeting. The worthwhile impressions and fireside nothings linger across the future past the connect.

Roci and Ram might move on to date other suitors or even marry someone later but still the warmth from this brief interaction would have made them believe in pleasant encounters. People get closer not knowing how ephemeral or deep their presence would last, yet, this striking encroachment as a blushing intimacy or a whirlwind romance enlivens their lives.

The story comes across as youthfully charmed even for a middle-aged setting. Ram and Roci seem to have their hearts tugged but their heads firm. They have the option to progress or recede in their formative romance. Fitful challenges if they progress, or seek closer to the turf partners if they withdraw, or, in ten years they might bump into each other in another flight and take refuge together from the ensuing solar storm this time. All said, you didn't mention whether there is a mischievous Rick in Ram who playfully bid Roci in a Casablanca quip: We'll always have Du Vin!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. Rakhii

Thank you. I hope your fur-friend is doing well.

I like these stories that don’t have to struggle with too much burden like financial wellbeing, caste/religion etc. that seem to usually come in the way of finding love. I always found that the concept of soulmate is flawed (personal opinion). We should be able to find happiness, as fleeting as it maybe.

Thanks for stopping by.

getstrngth likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Ah the good old college literary clubs, I miss them as much as I miss celebrating Diwali back home with mom and dad (before you ask me to specify how much, let me say, its lot).

Some of my most nurturing relationships (I wish there were a better word for a relationship that not only touches your heart but also touches your life in a way you fall back on the time spent a decade ago in the most meaning full (or meaningless) way)….see some relationships tend to get me carried away.; so some of my most nurturing relationships started knowing full well they can never progress into the next socially accepted level; marriage. irony is, it wasnt even Rick! ha, it was Ram.

Based on that fact, with reasonable poise, I can say that a fleeting moment as fleeting as it may look like at present, can turn into much more meaningful as you age. Oh if only…but lets not go there. It’s a slippery slope much slicker than a snakes tail.

Also the uncertainty that keeps the magic alive, where the ethics don’t overplay, where you are not “afraid” will enable the heart (mind you, not the mind) to look forward for ‘just once more’ rendezvous.

Thank you for stopping by, I enjoyed reading your comment.

7. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Being that someone who gobbles more from the other's plate than my own, I am responding to even the kindred reply to another poster because I felt like you are doing a John Malkovich on me with your thoughtful reflection. As a teenager from a small town, I cultivated time-honored and conditioned opinions about love and life. As I aged, I realized that our personal quirks matter more than the societal norms. A soulmate is a fancy term for a hefty and emphatic commitment. Don't know about soulmates bound by janmas but mates who tug our soul are aplenty even in one terrestrial janma. We find something endearing and broadening in these mates. A reckoning that helps us to uplift ourselves in their trust on us that we could be better in life. I would leave it at there and not glorify the connect as 'soulmate' unless I am composing a metric sonnet and direly in need of a word that rhymes with fate.

Relationship is commonly hatched in a surge of intense affirmations: we meet, we fall in love, we confuse ourselves, we confuse them, we bicker, we reconcile, we love, we are confused, so forth. The better word for me is "influence" with a steady nurture than a "relationship" which has a volatile trajectory.

How does the man influence me?
    Is he of good influence on me?

I opt for influence than devotion. Is that man capable of sustained influence on me long after we part? If the answer is yes, then no matter how fleeting, how uncertain or even how unusual the interaction is, I think it is worth in life to experience the connect rather than be a stick in the mud with our grand illusion of everlasting love.

Many years ago I read a trite story in a magazine in which a dying man proclaimed his realized love for a woman and the woman frantically breathes her last at his feet. Puzzled, had to read the story again wondering if I had missed some element of this sacred love. Both never vocalize their love to each other during their salad days. I don't know if the wait was befitting in an edifying tale or the characters were too lazy to find love in other people. Wish they had experienced even a day of regenerative affection in others which could have saved them from defeatist heartache.